Tim Sweeney to Steam: Don't want timed-exclusives? Match our revenue split

D13H4RD
32 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Any game dev who is going to choose epic and refuse to launch on steam (even for a time period) is only doing so because EPIC dangled a big arse carrot.  It's not hard to see that Epic have to resort to such things because they don't have the market reach or services that steam have.  

A Dev has to choose between a juicy carrot from Epic and market share after launch.  To be honest I can't blame them for that when access to steams market share is no guarantee of success.

Pretty much. 

I very much doubt this is going to end anytime soon. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

17 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

However, the publishers and developers are still equally at fault over this if they agree to it.  So, I'd still blame them if people want to yell over this sorta thing.

giphy.gif

It's really as simple as I can't be arsed to deal with another storefront and platform so anything exclusive, timed or otherwise, I'm just not buying. If I don't actually care I bet publishers care even less than I do, unless zero people are buying all you really have is what I have, laziness ?.

8 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Desura

The hell is that?

tbh I do like Steam though, I attribute much of that to having well over 300 games and I have no where to store that many physical copies or be able to manage them. I already have an entire cupboard full of physical games, folders of CDs/DVD, and it's a right pain. Before Steam I kept copies of everything on disk and use virtual drives to mount and use them.

Edit:

GOG library of games just isn't big enough.

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

I just miss going into shops and buying the big games.  Last one I got was the Diablo 2 chest thing.  Steam and Battle.net are the 2 I got installed at the moment.

For the most part you still can, there's just no point when you open the DVD case and it's a Steam redeem code. Yay thanks. I buy all my PlayStation games as physical copies though, the collectors editions that have extras etc.

I'm just dreading the day one of these launchers decides to start charging for access to their library. I don't mean like that EA thing where you sign up and get some games for free, I mean like you pay them $15 for access to Origin, which you can then play the $60 game on. It's gonna happen since we, as gamers, just roll over and accept every anti-consumer thing that happens to us.

I'm pretty sure my purpose in life is to serve as a warning for others.

13 hours ago, Blze001 said:

I'm just dreading the day one of these launchers decides to start charging for access to their library. I don't mean like that EA thing where you sign up and get some games for free, I mean like you pay them $15 for access to Origin, which you can then play the $60 game on. It's gonna happen since we, as gamers, just roll over and accept every anti-consumer thing that happens to us.

With any luck the threat of other game stores not doing it taking your clients will prevent it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

With any luck the threat of other game stores not doing it taking your clients will prevent it.

So you just buy an exclusive deal like Epic is, force people to use it.

I'm pretty sure my purpose in life is to serve as a warning for others.

7 hours ago, Blze001 said:

So you just buy an exclusive deal like Epic is, force people to use it.

How good would this game have to be that people can't choose not to play it?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 4/30/2019 at 1:38 AM, Blze001 said:

... don't give them ideas!

✨FNIGE✨

On 4/29/2019 at 2:27 AM, valdyrgramr said:

Desura was a short lived DRM launcher/storefront and it got hacked then they closed their doors.

I just miss going into shops and buying the big games.  Last one I got was the Diablo 2 chest thing.  Steam and Battle.net are the 2 I got installed at the moment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desura

Oh man I don't miss installing these. 

1. Enter CD-KEY we printed somewhere. (bonus annoy points if you can easily lose it, e.g. separate plastic sheet.)

2. Install CD1, wait forever. 

3. Repeat 2. up to six times, frequently four times. 

4. Re-insert CD1 to finish install because fuck you. 

Also having to have the disc in to play or the patching which was 95 % of the time manual. Please install these four incremental patches because people don't have the internets to download a complete one. Now have fun finding a MP game because not everyone has the same version. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

40 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

True it had some annoyances.  However, the ownership aspect doesn't feel the same.  I liked the boxes and the art.  There's the DRM factor.  I could keep going as to why I don't like the launchers.

Honestly I don't really miss the physical game aspect. Having to retain a CD key and all of the discs for a game, and make sure they are never scratched up at all, was a huge pain for me. Having your games just a few clicks and a download away is far and away more convenient than having to keep track of a bunch of boxes and discs. 

Yea, your actual ownership rights over digital games is pretty iffy at the end of the day, but the same kind of applies to physical media in that discs can scratch or get lost. Boxes and manuals can get lost or ruined as well. I used to be a physical games-only kind of person but nowadays I don't care anymore and would rather just have the convenience of digital. 

I only recently found what could be my CD key (if it was printed in the manual) for LOTR Battle for Middle-earth 2, which is one of my favorite games of all time, but I no longer have any of the discs so I would have to resort to downloading a cracked version or spending a fortune on a copy from Ebay if I want to play it.   

However the increasing fragmentation of our digital games collections these days is nothing but inconvenient, which is one main reason why a lot of people, like myself, greatly dislike Epic. If this trend continues, we're gonna need a universal app that collates all our libraries in one place, but still requires you to purchase and install games from their respective storefronts.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

As I said, it's partly nostalgia for me.  I'm aware of all the annoyances.  XD Had a scratched COD 2 disk and the install never finished.  :s DRM was also a response to pirates, but it never really worked well.

DRM punishes the legitimate consumer more than the pirates nowadays. Pirates are gonna pirate regardless, now only having to wait for DRM to be cracked by someone first.

DRM was also very much a thing on physical media as it is now on digital. I still remember SecuROM... ?

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

It's just a tad more in your face now with the launchers.  I prefer GOG's method tbh, but their library is lacking, when it comes to digital.

I love GOG but I won't shy away from stating that they need better selections. 

If they ported BFME2 (ain't gonna happen since EA doesn't have license) and Rise of Legends (more hopeful about this) I would be all over those in an instant. Those two games were among my top favorites at the time.  

2 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

True it had some annoyances.  However, the ownership aspect doesn't feel the same.  I liked the boxes and the art.  There's the DRM factor.  I could keep going as to why I don't like the launchers.

It's also why I still buy CD's.  I love the physical format and I know more of money money gets to the actual artist.

On 4/28/2019 at 10:33 PM, valdyrgramr said:

My bigger issue is irrational bitching without blaming the publishers and developers of these games too.

There's plenty of people getting pissed at devs and publishers too. For Metro I think the Publisher and devs were getting more criticism then Epic as they were the ones who advertised the game being on Steam and then pulled it.

Also Epic just bought the studio that makes Rocket League so that's now off Steam.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

4 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Half-Life 3.

you win, they can charge all the subs they want.

23 hours ago, Phentos said:

If they ported BFME2 (ain't gonna happen since EA doesn't have license) and Rise of Legends (more hopeful about this) I would be all over those in an instant. Those two games were among my top favorites at the time.  

ROL sold like 50 copies. 

Good game though. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

On 5/1/2019 at 8:22 AM, Phentos said:

It's not about them though I am pretty sure. GOG would probably take all games they could if the publishers were for their no DRM policy, which is a big no-no for most (read: almost all) of them. Publishers just love their DRM. I don't blame GOG on this at all. They are the only one going in a positive direction. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Oh get off your high horse, Sweeney! Don't try to pull that "we're better for developers because we give them more money" shit if you're literally working your own in-house developers to exhaustion.