Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FANGXP

20 Million PC Gamers to Switch to Consoles by 2022, as per Jon Peddie Research

Posted · Original PosterOP

Jon Peddie Research Firm's latest report isn't very encouraging if you are a PC gamer. According to the analyst, more and more PC gamers will probably shift to consoles because of increasing GPU prices and the inclusion of PC-specific features like 4K and ray tracing in the next-generation of these platforms. The coming of streaming services like the Google Stadia and the new Xbox One S console is going to further push gamers away from PC gaming. 

Read more here:

https://www.techquila.co.in/20-million-pc-gamers-switch-to-consoles/

If PS5 delivers even half of the things that Sony promised for a reasonable price, I can see this as a possibility. And I am sure MS will follow. 

6 minutes ago, FANGXP said:

and ray tracing in the next-generation of these platforms.

This is the tricky part. Ray tracing has been around for 20 years or so, maybe even more. Sony never said they will support real time ray tracing, which is the latest shit, only ray tracing. So be vary of that. 

But not to read the whole article (also subscription), I am pretty sure they haven't mentioned how many new gamers PC as a platform will get. Correct me if I'm wrong. If the platform losses 20M and gets let's say 50M, ok then.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

8AF91DF7-C417-4782-A8B2-4BE0E17F0B69.png.dce1a6e68310b4e070329bdc419e6e62.png

Also, no, I'm not switching to console anytime soon.

Primary Desktop PC: Intel® Xeon® X5675 @ 4.62 GHz 1.4V || NZXT HAVIK 140 & Noctua NA-SRC10 || ASUS P6X58-E WS || Crucial DDR3-1606 8-11-11-28 (2x4GB) || ASUS STRIX GTX 770 || Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5" SSD || WD Green 1TB 3.5" HDD (7.2K RPM) || Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) || Corsair AX860i & White CableMod ModFlex™ Cables || Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Browns) || Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum || Logitech G27 Racing Wheel || Samsung 23.6" 1080p 60Hz PLS (OC'd to 75Hz) || CPU-Z Validation

PC Gaming>actual real life boardgames>Nintendo>...........................everything else

I WILL get a switch for my son when he is old enough, he will know the glory of both Nintendo and PC gaming. We will love our boardgames too and have no room for anything else.

What? I don’t think that will happen. Well maybe if the PS5 maybe is what it’s rumored to be but still feels very unlikely. 

CPU: i7-9700K OC @ 4.9 GHz 

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm 
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F 
RAM: Corsair 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Vengeance 

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB 
GPU: RTX 2070 FE 
Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB 
PSU: Corsair RM750X 
Monitor: ROG Swift PG278QR G-Sync 165Hz 

12 minutes ago, FANGXP said:

because of increasing GPU prices

Someone tell the RX 570 that GPU prices are going up

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - Asus DirectCU GTX 760 - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

Analyze away, but in my mind, at least, some great migration to console just doesn't seem likely. PCs will inherently be able to do more and people use them because they like that. Nobody's going to say, "Oh, consoles can deliver a decent gaming experience now! Guess I'll kiss all the other things I love about PC goodbye!". And GPU prices are going up? Give me a break.

"uhhhhhhhhhh yeah id go with the 2600 its a good value for the money"

lul, PC is pretty much the only (viable) platform if you are a competitive player. PC Gaming isn't dying any time soon.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 840 Series 128GB | 1 x Seagate 1TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 620W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

GTX 1060 vs RX 480 (old)

Not if I still have to pay £50 a year just to play online.

Aesthetics Goddess & Light Theme User

My Custom PC Build Log  |  My Brother's Custom PC Build Log  |  PC Rig Photography

i5-8600K | Deepcool Neptwin White | Asus Z370-P | 16GB DDR4-2800 | Asus GTX 1060 3GB | 500GB Crucial P1 + 240GB Crucial BX500 | NZXT S340 | Corsair CX450M

If the PS5 or Xbone whatever clean my house when I'm away then I'll switch, until then it's PC all the way :P

Current Build Log:

Prior Build Log:

If my budget allows for it, I'm going to enjoy all the gaming platforms.  PC will always be my preferred platform though.

Do a poll OP and lets see if users think they will be switching.

Me?  Why?  Why not get a PC that can...do all of the things?  I traded my Xbox One (was given as a Christmas gift) for a winch.  Just sayin.

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker, Corsair HX850 PSU, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiator, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.8ghz all core stock voltage, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, 640gb WD Blue 7200 RPM Mech drive, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 Case

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, M.2 Intel Wifi/Bluetooth

A couple laptops and tablets around the house

kATzlhu.png

Officially LTT's 'coolest' member (yes, that's a pun)

The w is pronounced like v, if you're wondering!

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

Be proud of who you are.

The only console that I use is my Switch and it's only because I'm too lazy to get an emulator.

'IM THE VIDEO GAME BOY, IM THE ONE WHO WINS' - Arin Hanson

When majority of gamer's only buy mid-range GPU's and steam has a plethora of sub $10 games,  I can't see the change being that great.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

PC gaming has survived strong console launches before, it will survive the PS5 launch. I'm not convinced the PS5 will be able to deliver 4K, HDR and 60FPS, unless Sony is prepared to make a sizeable loss on each unit sold.

There is also things unique to the PC gaming world like building your own custom rig, very high refresh rate monitors and multi-monitor setups.

Approximately 189216000 are born each year. Given that Consoles are (most likely) given to the younglings, This is actually plausible

EDIT: oh wait... its switch... Well that ain't happening anytime soon

You can change this by going into your account settings, going down to your signature tab and Typing whatever fits within the rules.

Your welcome

Riiiiiiighhht... I would say maybe if Sony and Microsft did 180 degree turn with backwards compatibility, allowed consoles to be more than just glorified BR-players, would actually deliver what promised (4K HDR gaming with rebaked ray-tracing 60fps, HAHHAHAHAAAA! Sorry all three people who believe that shit, but that is big BS considering that PS4 Pro even can't handle FullHD gaming all the time at 60fps) and would pull their heads from their arses and allow open development (meaning that you don't need to go through Sony or Microsoft to get your game to PS or Xbox. And spare me from that piracy BS, main thing here is that when the platforms are that closed the development is insanly expensive which is why many developers go for the exclusivity deals on consoles and why you don't see the same mass of indie games on consoles, also the closed platform means your game must meet the expectations of the platform owner meaning some games that are highly targeted to some small audiences won't be released just because Sony/Microsoft don't see good enough profits from them, not to even mention all the guidelines and morals which quite fast turn into censorship).

22 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

younglings

79f.jpg

my kid if I ever have one will have a PC.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Ah yes, I see myself abandoning my library of 400+ games, just to play on a console...

Anyone who "switch" to console was never a PC exclusive gamer in the first place. 

I'd sooner see myself get a console as a "companion" for my PC for certain highly demanding games that I wouldn't be able to run a decent fps otherwise, instead of outright switching to console. You can do so much more with a PC after all.

Honestly, even if this newest gen of consoles claim things like 4k gaming and what not, I wouldn't be surprised if only a few games took advantage of that and many games will still run at 1080p or maybe 1440p, just to push graphic fidelity higher.

CPU: Intel Core i7 875k / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB  / RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GBx2 DDR3-1600
MOBO: ASUS P7P55D-e LX / SSD: Intel 520 120GB / Case: Cooler Master HAF912 / PSU: Corsair TX850w / OS: Windows 10 Pro

I wouldn't blame them.  1k for okay monitor & graphics card, or 2k for good monitor and good graphics card vs 5/400 and highly optimized titles.  Hardly much of a choice there.  Only thing is mods vs no mods really.