20 Million PC Gamers to Switch to Consoles by 2022, as per Jon Peddie Research

The analysis contains a recent sales history and three-year forecast for unit sales of Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Android Consoles, Apple TV and other devices.

I wonder if they are basing this off of late generation adoption and the switch?  Al ot of pc gamers buy switches, but its a different use case and types of games. They don't switch to the switch. They use it in addition. Also, later in the console generation when theres a good library (this one sucked for a long time) a lot of pc gamers will get consoles. There were a lot of late adopters last gen.

I really think there's no chance unless the ps5 and xbox 27.5 or whatever they will call it have better hardware than the price like the ps3 and 360 did. A lot of PC gamers are the type that are more into games than the casual audience, and they tend to get multiple platforms- playstaion or xbox (or both) and often the nintendo one as well. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

31 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

I wouldn't blame them.  1k for okay monitor & graphics card, or 2k for good monitor and graphics card vs 5/400 and highly optimized titles.  Hardly much of a choice there.  Only thing is mods vs no mods really.

Highly optimized my ass. Also if you are including the cost of a monitor then you need to include the cost of a TV that can even take advantage of these consoles.

I don't see myself getting a console. I only miss Tiger Woods and the NHL series. It's been 5+ years since I've played either. I think I'm over consoles.

3 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Do a poll OP and lets see if users think they will be switching.

Me?  Why?  Why not get a PC that can...do all of the things?  I traded my Xbox One (was given as a Christmas gift) for a winch.  Just sayin.

A poll on a PC forum for which device they prefer? Results could possibly be a bit bias!

the only console in my house is a switch....everyone has a pc...me or any of my kids can care less for a ps or xbox

Just now, floofer said:

A poll on a PC forum for which device they prefer? Results could possibly be a bit bias!

trollface.jpg

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

3 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

lul, PC is pretty much the only (viable) platform if you are a competitive player. PC Gaming isn't dying any time soon.

Super Smash players would like to have a word with you.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

34 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Highly optimized my ass.

IMO, more squats are required.

34 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Also if you are including the cost of a monitor then you need to include the cost of a TV that can even take advantage of these consoles.

People generally already have a TV, and if not they aren't as costly as monitors.  Where as the 'people already have a computer' counter doesn't really work anymore with so many opting for laptops instead of towers; laptops being the most expensive option of them all if aiming for mid-high to high ending gaming experience.  Like it or not, console titles have better frame pacing than PC.  PC has to over charge CPU and GPU capabilities to combat just that 1 issue. Its a far larger initial buy in PC side.  It is also much more rewarding, but when professional mobsters collect their property tax on time every time, its a lot harder to find that much scratch all at once.

i think "switch" is a harsh term, maybe opt for it a bit more perhaps? as an added hardware to their gaming library.

Details separate people.

im up for buying a next gen console but not going to completely switch to console gaming again, its just so expensive to do that, games are more expensive and ps+ is a thing. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

4 hours ago, seoz said:

Not if I still have to pay £50 a year just to play online.

Actually I wouldn't mind paying that kind of money if I was getting AAA games every month without having to worry about buying anything else, including games. For me the real problem with consoles is software and hardware retro compatibility 

I consider myself a PC gamer because that's the platform I use the most for gaming, but that's only because I need a powerful PC for my work and I personally wouldn't build a PC just for gaming. I recently bought a 1660Ti for €280 and I hate the fact that with that money I could have gotten an Xbox One S with 2-3 AAA games or so, or maybe a PS4 pro or a used Xbox One X. That's enough for many people. There are also much more console exclusives than PC exclusives. And yeah GPU prices do get high, hence the recent Nvidia bashing and we don't know when miners will be back...

With all that said, PC gamers/enthusiasts have a particular profile and most of them consider their PC as family so it's hard to anticipate a big switch unless Microsoft and/or Valve/Epic store really screw things up.

@FANGXP The thread has currently been moved to General Discussion as per the Tech News section guidelines have not been met. Once updated it may be eligible to be reinstated in the Tech News Section. 

2 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

IMO, more squats are required.

People generally already have a TV, and if not they aren't as costly as monitors.  Where as the 'people already have a computer' counter doesn't really work anymore with so many opting for laptops instead of towers; laptops being the most expensive option of them all if aiming for mid-high to high ending gaming experience.  Like it or not, console titles have better frame pacing than PC.  PC has to over charge CPU and GPU capabilities to combat just that 1 issue. Its a far larger initial buy in PC side.  It is also much more rewarding, but when professional mobsters collect their property tax on time every time, its a lot harder to find that much scratch all at once.

That's a pretty dumb argument. You can use a TV as a monitor if you wanted to as well. Also I would have to disagree about the frame pacing thing. You can make a good PC that doesn't have stuttering issues for pretty cheap. Honestly I have a console and its painful to play games in it even when compared to some of my old builds. 

6 hours ago, FANGXP said:

-snip-

excuse me one sec....

ok,ok,ok,ok,.....

i'm not even gonna bother with tackling this as it's bullshit, seriously? PC gamers switching to console? mate you have that backwards...

oh before i forget! um, i decided to look at the source and who the people are behind the articles... (most of us on the forums do this because we like looking at the source ourselves to make our own opinion)

and guess who i found?

everyone meet Shruti, one of the writers on techquila

IMG_20181014_111400_417.jpg

and if we look at the image that our friend here has as his profile pic:

imported-photo-631894.thumb.jpeg.cbe735b5bf336e3eee5cedae1a03172f.jpeg.7549c14bc105934db637b59ed2abbc11.jpeg

oh hello Shruti! (oh don't even bother removing and replacing your profile pic, ive downloaded it and uploaded the downloaded one myself, that way you can't get rid of it! ?)

so simply, i'm reporting you, that and a request that your account gets banned, your IP also banned, and that techquila is no longer a accepted source anymore...

we aren't stupid, we are a forum full of people who don't like being fooled...

so when your team hears about this tell them this: "the LLT fourms no longer want to do anything with you, your team and your company and it's associates..."

edit: oh i forget! 

have an excellent day!

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

It is very unlikely that PC gamers will give up. I have some friends who moved from PC to Console once they had a family and had much less time to game. A powerful high end PC was not worth the investment and a console was just easier.  However, with that said, I have plenty of friends who play PC still and just a build something more mid tier. 

| Ryzen R9 3900x Enermax LIQTECH II 360  | Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero| Nivida FE RTX 2080 Ti | Corsair Vengeance 16gb @3200MHZ | Crucial 500 GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue SSD| Corsair HX 750w  Platinum+ |Corsair Carbide Spec-Omega| Gigabyte Arous 27QD 1440p 144hz

I kind of see the opposite trend happening right now, especially with the rise of twitch, PC gaming seems more popular than ever. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

Lemmy admit something, I plan to buy a ps4 just to play bloodbrone and red dead.

Would I ever do that if those games released on pc? Hell no…

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

That's a pretty dumb argument. You can use a TV as a monitor if you wanted to as well. 

Cool story.  Try reading text off that 1080p TV-monitor without blowing up the size to a comedic degree.  Or tell me about how new tvs in the last few years aren't as bad anymore and pretend that everyone who would use a console should snap up a new TV of the sake of your argument.  Got 3 TVs that were bought when 1080p became a thing and 2 shortly after it becoming the norm, and not one of them is worth a shit as a monitor.  Great for a console TV though.

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

You can make a good PC that doesn't have stuttering issues for pretty cheap. Honestly I have a console and its painful to play games in it even when compared to some of my old builds.  

Tale as old as time.  Song as old as rhyme.  PCMR and their lies of omission.

I'm not going to say that FPS and racing games aren't vastly superior on PC if that's what you're thinking. 

But go ahead, tell me about your 6-core HT titan black old build(/s).  Sarcasm aside what are you comparing there?

i'm not gona switch in 2022 xD the graphics are way better on pc than consoles and that would never chance!

Custom Build, i9 10900K 5,3Ghz All Core, Asus ROG STRIX Z490-A, Asus RTX ROG STRIX 3090 OC, 4x 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4, Samsung Evo Pus 970 500gb, Samsung Evo Pus 970 1TB, 4TB HDD 5,400 RPM, Corsair AX1600i 1600 Watt, CUSTOM WATERCOOLING LOOP, Corsair Obsidian 1000D

9 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

Cool story.  Try reading text off that 1080p TV-monitor without blowing up the size to a comedic degree.  Or tell me about how new tvs in the last few years aren't as bad anymore and pretend that everyone who would use a console should snap up a new TV of the sake of your argument.  Got 3 TVs that were bought when 1080p became a thing and 2 shortly after it becoming the norm, and not one of them is worth a shit as a monitor.  Great for a console TV though.

Tale as old as time.  Song as old as rhyme.  PCMR and their lies of omission.

I'm not going to say that FPS and racing games aren't vastly superior on PC if that's what you're thinking. 

But go ahead, tell me about your 6-core HT titan black old build(/s).  Sarcasm aside what are you comparing there?

My first build I only used a TV because that is what I had at the time. It actually worked really well and was comparable to an entry level monitor minus the input lag. And the old build was a R5 1600 with a 1060 3gb. 

Also I do find it strange that you would bring up racing games because it is honestly one of the few games I play on my xbox. 

Yes, because 90% of PC gamers have the money to buy a new console every 4 years. 

Naturally we were all waiting for ray tracing & subscription game services that cost more than $12 a month that don’t let you cancel anytime. 

14 hours ago, Suika said:

Super Smash players would like to have a word with you.

Smash isn’t a legitimate fighting game. (I didn’t create a thread with this as OP. I’m safe.) 

I think they have slightly missed the point of PC gaming, at least for me. For me, PC isn't about Ray Tracing and 4K, it's about mods, choice of controls, better framerates and the fact that I need a PC anyway so why not spend a bit more to get a gaming one. Oh and the games are wayyyy cheaper (e.g. Steam Sales, Humble Store, CD Keys and just buying game on ebay is often cheaper). 

Also for a lot of people designing and building the PC is the fun part, which is something you simply can't do with a console. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Light TG 

Plays: Minesweeper at 1000 fps.