Custom Loop questions

I'm planning on a custom loop in the future, just want to ask some questions.

Is Mayhems Pastel fine if you clean your loop before? (I've heard of clogging issues)

A distilled water rinse (basically a quick 1 hour leak test) through your loop is enough to clean it (after first assembly) right?

Radiators should be cleaned separately with some warm water (Distilled is better?)

If you buy just a D5 pump (aka "naked", just the pump, not even factory top), and attach it to a top, will the warranty still apply?

Spoiler

Replace fluid/rinse loop with distilled once a year right?

Answer: Yes.

DDC require heatsink + airflow right?

Drain port is a a t-splitter + valve + plug, and is really useful, or are they un-necessary.

I found some bitspower compression fittings for 2.25$ ea, seems like an absolute steal. Should I trust them?

Spoiler

Just regular distilled water found at a local store should be fine right? or is someting like Mayhems Ultra Pure H2O better?

Answer: Distilled is fine, but de-ionized is cheaper and would work just as well.

For a 120mm rad + 280mm rad + GPU + CPU + 100ml reservoir in a meshify C, 2L of coolant should be enough, right?

Sorry if any of these questions are obvious, just trying to improve my knowledge.

Might add more questions lator.

OK so this is a lot of questions, il answer some now and hopefully some more once I get a computer under my hands.

Mayhems pastel is fine, rather it's great. I love it, smells great too.

1h of leak testing with distilled water seems like an annoying way to clean your loop. I'd clean everything before you put anything together. Radiators should be run with hot water, shake them some too and finally flush with de ionised or distilled water before assembly.

Loop should be cleaned every year at least, some will say more often, some more seldom.

I'd just get battery water instead of distilled as it has all the nasties gone and is waaaaaaay cheaper.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

OK so this is a lot of questions, il answer some now and hopefully some more once I get a computer under my hands.

Mayhems pastel is fine, rather it's great. I love it, smells great too.

1h of leak testing with distilled water seems like an annoying way to clean your loop. I'd clean everything before you put anything together. Radiators should be run with hot water, shake them some too and finally flush with de ionised or distilled water before assembly.

Loop should be cleaned every year at least, some will say more often, some more seldom.

I'd just get battery water instead of distilled as it has all the nasties gone and is waaaaaaay cheaper.

Pastel it is then! It looks wonderful, second only to aurora (thats showcase tho)

k thx, whats the difference between battery and distilled, or are they basically the same. Distilled/DI water is only 1$ for a gallon around where I live.

I'll clean every 9-12 months.

Thanks btw!

13 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

Pastel it is then! It looks wonderful, second only to aurora (thats showcase tho)

k thx, whats the difference between battery and distilled, or are they basically the same. Distilled/DI water is only 1$ for a gallon around where I live.

I'll clean every 9-12 months.

Thanks btw!

De ionised water isn't boiled, its only had all the particles and ions removed, it can still have some biological content that hasn't died. It's much cheaper than distilled water usually and works just as good if you just run it with soke glycol or something. I use it for cleaning all my watercooling parts as it's half or a quarter the cost of distilled water for me :)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

why'd 1h of leak testing with distilled water be annoying, you're going to be putting some liquid (not your final coolant) in anyways, for leak testing, leaving it for some extra time shouldn't be that hard.

40 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

why'd 1h of leak testing with distilled water be annoying, you're going to be putting some liquid (not your final coolant) in anyways, for leak testing, leaving it for some extra time shouldn't be that hard.

I have always had pretty crappy drain situations with my builds so getting fluid in and out is something I associate with hours of annoying work :P

If you manage to get a nice way to deal with that set up then I guess it's fine, you just can't do a final flush of everything I guess.

Builds:

Spoiler

I have always had pretty crappy drain situations with my builds so getting fluid in and out is something I associate with hours of annoying work :P

If you manage to get a nice way to deal with that set up then I guess it's fine, you just can't do a final flush of everything I guess.

I plan on having a t-spliter with a G1/4 valve, then for drain removing the plug on the valve, attach a fitting with around a foot of tubing, then just putting my rig on a table, with a bucket on the ground and allowing gravity to do the work (and opening an air hole at the top of the res/loop)

7 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

I plan on having a t-spliter with a G1/4 valve, then for drain removing the plug on the valve, attach a fitting with around a foot of tubing, then just putting my rig on a table, with a bucket on the ground and allowing gravity to do the work (and opening an air hole at the top of the res/loop)

If you manage to get the T split at the absolute bottom, that's a great plan.

Builds:

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

If you manage to get the T split at the absolute bottom, that's a great plan.

ok, to make things cheaper and easier to fill, is it fine if I have my res at the top (so filling is easier), and my pump at the bottom?

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

ok, to make things cheaper and easier to fill, is it fine if I have my res at the top (so filling is easier), and my pump at the bottom?

yah thats fine, its actiually a good thing as these pumps arent really made for sucking and REALLY dont like air :)

Builds:

Spoiler

20 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

I have a Dr Drop pressure tester for my initial "leak" testing... prevents any nasty surprises when you fill the loop ;) That said, I will still leak test for a number of hours with paper towels at all the fittings.

2 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

Number 1 rule: loop order doesn't really matter (loop temperature will normalise after X amount of time) except the reservoir must immediately precede and be above the pump to prevent liquid starving of the pump (which is how it is cooled).

1 hour ago, Blai5e said:

I have a Dr Drop pressure tester for my initial "leak" testing... prevents any nasty surprises when you fill the loop ;) That said, I will still leak test for a number of hours with paper towels at all the fittings.

Number 1 rule: loop order doesn't really matter (loop temperature will normalise after X amount of time) except the reservoir must immediately precede and be above the pump to prevent liquid starving of the pump (which is how it is cooled).

If its Pump -> T-splitter -> GPU -> Rad -> CPU -> Res -> Rad -> Pump  (X-flow rad, the bottom output goes straight to Pump, and res the bottom goes to the top of the rad), is that fine? Or should I just get a pump/res combo?

I won't need to run my pump until my loop is pretty much full, as I'll be pouring from the top.

I wonder, is there paper that changes color when water touches it (has to be pretty cheap aswell), like white, and when water hits it turns red or something kind of like litmus strips for leak testing?

also, @Bananasplit_00, and blai5e, what's your reccommendation for mounting res/pump? I'll be using a swiftech MCP655 w/ their top (its just a pwm laing D5), and probably a barrow 98mm long res.

1 hour ago, Blai5e said:

except the reservoir must immediately precede and be above the pump to prevent liquid starving of the pump (which is how it is cooled).

mine are at literally apposite ends of the loop and its no issue but thats a generally good rule to follow.

12 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

I wonder, is there paper that changes color when water touches it (has to be pretty cheap aswell), like white, and when water hits it turns red or something kind of like litmus strips for leak testing?

Its very easy to notice if you just look at the paper, if its wet its leaking.

13 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

also, @Bananasplit_00, and blai5e, what's your reccommendation for mounting res/pump? I'll be using a swiftech MCP655 w/ their top (its just a pwm laing D5), and probably a barrow 98mm long res.

I have mine hovering at the front of my case, held up by the tubing :P Id probably get one of those mounts so you can mount the pump/res off a radiator if thats something that you can do in your case

Builds:

Spoiler

Im just going to get a pump/res b/c a D5 + Top is 105$ already (cheapest top+cheap pump), and a decent res is 20-30$, and I'll need extra fittings, and It'll be annoying.

Any recommendations for pump/res (can be with/without pump), Is using a t-splitter for a fill port/bleed line near the top a good idea?

12 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

Im just going to get a pump/res b/c a D5 + Top is 105$ already (cheapest top+cheap pump), and a decent res is 20-30$, and I'll need extra fittings, and It'll be annoying.

Any recommendations for pump/res (can be with/without pump), Is using a t-splitter for a fill port/bleed line near the top a good idea?

Can't really give you a good answer on the pump, mine is something like 10 years old. EK is never really awful but also rarely the best, I have an alphacool res but they seem to hate Mayhems so I don't really recommend them either. Anything D5 should be decent as long as it's not sorted by cheapest on ebay stuff.

A top bleed and fill could be helpful, I have just been filling my reservoir and spinning the computer around until the air is trapped in it but a top bleed could help minimise that :)

Builds:

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Can't really give you a good answer on the pump, mine is something like 10 years old. EK is never really awful but also rarely the best, I have an alphacool res but they seem to hate Mayhems so I don't really recommend them either. Anything D5 should be decent as long as it's not sorted by cheapest on ebay stuff.

A top bleed and fill could be helpful, I have just been filling my reservoir and spinning the computer around until the air is trapped in it but a top bleed could help minimise that :)

yup, i found a 60$ D5 (swiftech MCP655), new w/ warranty from frozenCPU, which is an authorized reseller (asked on swiftechs subreddit, amazing.) for fill, im wondering if I just use the drain port w/ fitting w/ 3-4 feet of tubing, but hold it up really high, and pour till full (the tube will be sorta full), then close the valve, and let some of the extra drain, then remove the fitting.

9 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

yup, i found a 60$ D5 (swiftech MCP655), new w/ warranty from frozenCPU, which is an authorized reseller (asked on swiftechs subreddit, amazing.) for fill, im wondering if I just use the drain port w/ fitting w/ 3-4 feet of tubing, but hold it up really high, and pour till full (the tube will be sorta full), then close the valve, and let some of the extra drain, then remove the fitting.

that probably works, worst case scenario you are just going to have to turn your computer a load like i do

Builds:

Spoiler

On 4/26/2019 at 2:13 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

De ionised water isn't boiled, its only had all the particles and ions removed, it can still have some biological content that hasn't died. It's much cheaper than distilled water usually and works just as good if you just run it with soke glycol or something. I use it for cleaning all my watercooling parts as it's half or a quarter the cost of distilled water for me :)

I mean, we're already talking pennies are we not? 

4 hours ago, Ttnuagmada said:

I mean, we're already talking pennies are we not? 

Not really? It's quite a dramatic price difference, distilled is €6 a liter or so last time I checked. I'd rather have an ice cream and two liters of de ionized myself :P

These are just my prices though, I know it varies quite a lot. If they are the same price i would go for distilled ofc

Builds:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Not really? It's quite a dramatic price difference, distilled is €6 a liter or so last time I checked. I'd rather have an ice cream and two liters of de ionized myself :P

These are just my prices though, I know it varies quite a lot. If they are the same price i would go for distilled ofc

Must be a euro thing. I can get a gallon (3.79 liters) of distilled water for 99 cents at any local grocery store here in the states. 

41 minutes ago, Ttnuagmada said:

Must be a euro thing. I can get a gallon (3.79 liters) of distilled water for 99 cents at any local grocery store here in the states. 

i have to go to the apothecary to get half liter bottles, and thats the only place you can get your hands on it

Builds:

Spoiler

13 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i have to go to the apothecary to get half liter bottles, and thats the only place you can get your hands on it

yeah, I heard from Mayhems that distilled water is hard to come by in europe, thats why they made their Ultra Pure H2O (they are UK based)

btw:

Mayhems Ultra Pure H20 has been tested with Sea Monkeys and Triops and has show to help aid in them growing rapidly. Add Mayhems Ultra Pure H20 then add additives that come with the growing packs and leave 24 Hours, then add the sea monkey or triops and watch them rapidly grow.

lmao

7 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

yeah, I heard from Mayhems that distilled water is hard to come by in europe, thats why they made their Ultra Pure H2O (they are UK based)

btw:

lmao

lmfao thats the greatest. Anyway Mayhems and Watercool are my two top picks for watercooling companies. Tubing and fluid -> Mayhems. Blocks -> Watercool. Unsure about how much coverage Watercool has in the US though

Builds:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

lmfao thats the greatest. Anyway Mayhems and Watercool are my two top picks for watercooling companies. Tubing and fluid -> Mayhems. Blocks -> Watercool. Unsure about how much coverage Watercool has in the US though

watercool is pretty nice, but a bit expensive. Love their pump/res

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

watercool is pretty nice, but a bit expensive. Love their pump/res

They make the best blocks performance wise and they are extremely high quality from my experience. Actually cheaper or the same as EK for me xD

Builds:

Spoiler