Advice for first time traveller, attending ltx2019

subohmpanda

So i'm new to the forum, i'm a UK uni student attending ltx this year, iv'e already brought my BYOC ticket (bringing a 4+ year old laptop that's bearly hanging on to life). This is going to be my first time traveling abroad properly and i'm going by myself, i'm hoping to book my flight over for July 24/25 too 30/31

- I'm mainly looking for advice on places to stay (mainly looking at hostels and so fourth right now, i'm a broke ass student :') preferably in safer areas and not too far from ltx, first time somewhere new, wanna play it sorta safe
- Any advice on finding cheap flights

- Also wondering about my phone (mi a2) picking up the carrier frequencies in Canada 

it would also be awesome to talk to others going to ltx, id prefer not to be walking around a convention center filled with 6000 potential people looking like a headless/ lonesome chicken ahah 

I'm planning on comming as well from the uk, I've seen that prices on hotels are much higher then airbnb's and that the cheapest airport afaik to fly from is london gatwick.

not 100% confirmed on going for me, but fingers crossed

5 hours ago, subohmpanda said:

Any advice on finding cheap flights

Unsociable hours are going to be your friends. 

Not doing it in one go as well. It might be work seeing if stopping on east coast then getting a trans-continent flight would be cheaper then going with say Air Canada for the whole flight. 

Ive only been to Canada once, and I wasn't paying for the trip, but we stopped in Quebec to have a meeting, then going to the west coast. We stopped on the way back in Quebec, so I assume that was the cheapest way of getting us back 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

I'm also flying from the UK, I found flights indirect flights from London were cheapest. 

For places to stay definitely hostels are cheapest but a few blocks away from convention center. 

Im flying on the sames days so we can meet up if you want. 

CPU: i5 3570
Mobo: P8Z77-V LK
Drives: 1TB 850 Evo,1TB 840 Evo
Graphics Card: 970 Strix