Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
_StrikE_

Is it possible to make a virtual machine with Windows XP that uses most of your PC like linus did with MacOS ?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Basically after watching this video:

I was wondering if its possible to do the same with windows XP or Windows 2000, basically through this make XP use most of the PC power.

Processor: Intel i7 6700 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170-HD3 DDR3 | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

Memory: 16Gb (2x8) Kingston Savage @2400 Mhz DDR3 | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2060 OC Gaming

Power Supply: Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze | Case: Sharkoon M25-W 7.1
OS SDD: Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB | Gaming SDD: AMD Radeon R3 240 GB

Gaming HDD: TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 3TB | Data HDD 1:Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB 

Data HDD 2: Western Digital WD20EZRZ 2TB | Data HDD 3: Toshiba P300 3TB

External DVD-RW: LG GP57ES40

Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG SI 7.1 | Headphones: Hyper X Cloud Core | Speakers: F&D 2.1 A111U

Display: LG 34UM58 34" IPS

Peripherals: Redragon Andromeda Rainbow keyboard/STEELSERIES Rival 110 Mouse/Xbox 360 Gamepad

yeah i mean you just do the same steps basically install low resource version of Linux put your vm software on install xp and you're good to go im guessing the reason you want to do this is lack of driver support for modern hardware in XP? 

I lurk a lot

Yes, it should be possible -- if you decide to passthrough devices like GPUs then you'll need XP driver support. If you're not planning on using passthrough then regular virtualisation software should work just fine; much easier.

8 hours ago, peej said:

yeah i mean you just do the same steps basically install low resource version of Linux put your vm software on install xp and you're good to go im guessing the reason you want to do this is lack of driver support for modern hardware in XP? 

2 hours ago, duncannah said:

Yes, it should be possible -- if you decide to passthrough devices like GPUs then you'll need XP driver support. If you're not planning on using passthrough then regular virtualisation software should work just fine; much easier.

Yup, i wanna run XP on my current machine but with passthrough so it can fully utlize my resources, so i was wondering if there was support for that.

Processor: Intel i7 6700 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170-HD3 DDR3 | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

Memory: 16Gb (2x8) Kingston Savage @2400 Mhz DDR3 | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2060 OC Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG SI 7.1 | Headphones: Hyper X Cloud Core | Speakers: F&D 2.1 A111U

Peripherals: Redragon Andromeda Rainbow keyboard/STEELSERIES Rival 110 Mouse/Xbox 360 Gamepad

There may be some hidden limitations for core counts, and remember that 32bit OS can address maximum of 4GB of RAM, so you have limited size there. But otherwise, yes you can.

EDIT: of yes, drivers too, you can't really expect a brand new GPU to be successfully passed through if the drivers don't work on the OS.

10 hours ago, DevBlox said:

EDIT: of yes, drivers too, you can't really expect a brand new GPU to be successfully passed through if the drivers don't work on the OS.

What do you mean by this ? I need RTX 2060 gpu drivers for Windows XP as well ? oO

21 minutes ago, _StrikE_ said:

What do you mean by this ? I need RTX 2060 gpu drivers for Windows XP as well ? oO

Yes. You pass though the hardware to be directly accessible, that means VM needs drivers to handle it. You're out of luck it seems, quick search found me that 980ti was the last consumer GPU Nvidia made drivers for that runs on XP. 

You can still utilise other resources to the full, sort of. Old OS's and software don't have support for new instruction sets on new CPU's most likely, they'll work, but will miss most performance improvements :)

1 hour ago, DevBlox said:

Yes. You pass though the hardware to be directly accessible, that means VM needs drivers to handle it. You're out of luck it seems, quick search found me that 980ti was the last consumer GPU Nvidia made drivers for that runs on XP. 

You can still utilise other resources to the full, sort of. Old OS's and software don't have support for new instruction sets on new CPU's most likely, they'll work, but will miss most performance improvements :)

But wasn't the whole point of linus's video to use a GPU not officially supported with MAC OS in a way that it tricks the Mac OS to think its an official GPU ? So that they avoid it being a hackintosh os ?

6 hours ago, _StrikE_ said:

But wasn't the whole point of linus's video to use a GPU not officially supported with MAC OS in a way that it tricks the Mac OS to think its an official GPU ? So that they avoid it being a hackintosh os ?

MacOS is still a very modern OS, and via Nvidia drivers supports an array of GPU's, which may not be shipped in their actual devices. The point was to escape their dumb hardware picks, which on top of that, throttle due to said devices not being able to handle thermals. You can do it with any OS, but you will be limited it, if there was no support for that GPU in drivers the whole thing woulnd't have worked. Well, could have, but without GPU passthrough.

On 4/26/2019 at 1:44 PM, _StrikE_ said:

Basically after watching this video:

I was wondering if its possible to do the same with windows XP or Windows 2000, basically through this make XP use most of the PC power.

Yes, but you need to have native driver support as well

On 4/27/2019 at 8:51 PM, _StrikE_ said:

No, that is just a problem with NVIDIA drivers