Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redrooster

GTA V CPU Optimization

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I can play gta v with most settings maxed out and get a solid 60fps

 

But I installed a mod menu (don't worry, I'm only playing solo), and when i drive at breakneck speeds and shoot 10 bullets at a time, my fps dips. 

 

What settings can I turn down to reduce the CPU load?

 


My Current Rig

(((Currently in between builds)))

If part is listed as (NEW) it means that i recently bought it and it will be incorporated in my next build.

CPUI5-3550

GPUZotac RTX 2060 (NEW)

RAM16gb 2x8 DDR3 1600mHz

STORAGE500gb HDD, 2tb USB 3.0 Drive

PSU650w Corsair CX (NEW)

CASENZXT 500i        (NEW)

 

The Rig That I'm Working Towards.

This Should Be Complete By Fall 2019.

CPU: (Either) R5 2600x or Zen2

GPU: Zotac RTX 2060

RAM: 16GB 3000mHz Corsair Veng.

STORAGE: 1TB sata SSD (prob. 860 evo)

120GB sata Boot Drive (for Windows 10 and non video games)

PSU: 650w Corsair CX

CASE: NZXT H500i

Link to post
Share on other sites

pedestrian display distance?


The best thing to do is reading the clock speed that doesnt end in a pair of zeros

CPU: i7-2600K 4745MHz 1.408V (software) --> 1.4?V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.2MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2200MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
32 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

pedestrian display distance?

I think I have already turned it down


My Current Rig

(((Currently in between builds)))

If part is listed as (NEW) it means that i recently bought it and it will be incorporated in my next build.

CPUI5-3550

GPUZotac RTX 2060 (NEW)

RAM16gb 2x8 DDR3 1600mHz

STORAGE500gb HDD, 2tb USB 3.0 Drive

PSU650w Corsair CX (NEW)

CASENZXT 500i        (NEW)

 

The Rig That I'm Working Towards.

This Should Be Complete By Fall 2019.

CPU: (Either) R5 2600x or Zen2

GPU: Zotac RTX 2060

RAM: 16GB 3000mHz Corsair Veng.

STORAGE: 1TB sata SSD (prob. 860 evo)

120GB sata Boot Drive (for Windows 10 and non video games)

PSU: 650w Corsair CX

CASE: NZXT H500i

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had this weird bug before not sure if it was exclusive to mine.. i have an i5 3570 and gtx 970 and it struggled to maintain 60fps most part on windows 10. for the hell out of it, I did a fresh install of windows 7 on a partition and my frame rates went way up and more consistent. I thought of staying on win7 just for this game but when all the updates for win7 was installed, i was having the same experience i had on win10, struggling to maintain 60fps.. also, afaik and imo, its rarely hard to remedy cpu bottlenecks

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 hours ago, Triventular said:

I have had this weird bug before not sure if it was exclusive to mine.. i have an i5 3570 and gtx 970 and it struggled to maintain 60fps most part on windows 10. for the hell out of it, I did a fresh install of windows 7 on a partition and my frame rates went way up and more consistent. I thought of staying on win7 just for this game but when all the updates for win7 was installed, i was having the same experience i had on win10, struggling to maintain 60fps.. also, afaik and imo, its rarely hard to remedy cpu bottlenecks

And I fully admit I have a pretty sizable cpu bottleneck (RTX 2060 and an I5 3550); but this summer, I should be getting (either) a r5 2600x or a zen 2 cpu


My Current Rig

(((Currently in between builds)))

If part is listed as (NEW) it means that i recently bought it and it will be incorporated in my next build.

CPUI5-3550

GPUZotac RTX 2060 (NEW)

RAM16gb 2x8 DDR3 1600mHz

STORAGE500gb HDD, 2tb USB 3.0 Drive

PSU650w Corsair CX (NEW)

CASENZXT 500i        (NEW)

 

The Rig That I'm Working Towards.

This Should Be Complete By Fall 2019.

CPU: (Either) R5 2600x or Zen2

GPU: Zotac RTX 2060

RAM: 16GB 3000mHz Corsair Veng.

STORAGE: 1TB sata SSD (prob. 860 evo)

120GB sata Boot Drive (for Windows 10 and non video games)

PSU: 650w Corsair CX

CASE: NZXT H500i

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Redrooster said:

What settings can I turn down to reduce the CPU load?

  • Particles
  • Grass Quality
  • Self Radio
  • MSAA
  • Distance Scaling
  • Extended Distance Scaling
  • Soft Shadows (always keep at Sharp)
  • Post FX (always keep at High)
  • Population Density/Variety
  • Ambient Occlusion
  • Water Quality
  • All Advanced Settings
  • Anything running in the background.
  • Optimize your PC in Windows.
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Dr. Historic Low said:
  • Particles
  • Grass Quality
  • Self Radio
  • MSAA
  • Distance Scaling
  • Extended Distance Scaling
  • Soft Shadows (always keep at Sharp)
  • Post FX (always keep at High)
  • Population Density/Variety
  • Ambient Occlusion
  • Water Quality
  • All Advanced Settings

A few of these are impacted by CPU performance.

19 hours ago, Dr. Historic Low said:
  • Anything running in the background.
  • Optimize your PC in Windows.

Unless the hardware is a complete potato, this doesn't do much either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

A few of these are impacted by CPU performance.

All of them impact CPU performance to some degree.

36 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Unless the hardware is a complete potato, this doesn't do much either.

It does a LOT. Some optimizations have very minimal impact but when you combine dozens of them it can make a dramatic difference. Some things that run in the background can use a LOT of CPU usage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

All of them impact CPU performance to some degree.

Only a few of them actually would have an appreciable effect on CPU time, like rendering things at a distance and causing more things to show up.

 

Otherwise the rest is basically telling the GPU to render something better. The CPU doesn't need to do any extra work.

3 hours ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

It does a LOT. Some optimizations have very minimal impact but when you combine dozens of them it can make a dramatic difference. Some things that run in the background can use a LOT of CPU usage.

That might be the case with potato hardware, but I wouldn't consider the i5-3550 potato hardware. Especially if the i5-3450 can get this:

But with hardware that can mostly keep up? It doesn't really do anything:

 

If there's a background process that's eating up a lot of CPU time, either something is wrong with it or something is happening that's causing it to fire off a lot. Which if said event to cause the background process to go nuts is unintentional, something is also wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Only a few of them actually would have an appreciable effect on CPU time, like rendering things at a distance and causing more things to show up.

 

Otherwise the rest is basically telling the GPU to render something better. The CPU doesn't need to do any extra work.

Think what you wish. I'll stick with personal experience.

10 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

That might be the case with potato hardware, but I wouldn't consider the i5-3550 potato hardware. Especially if the i5-3450 can get this:

I'm not clicking on that video, that dude thinks ten mystery games are worth one hundred and forty something dollars when they're in fact worth around twenty something dollars all together.

10 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

But with hardware that can mostly keep up? It doesn't really do anything: If there's a background process that's eating up a lot of CPU time, either something is wrong with it or something is happening that's causing it to fire off a lot. Which if said event to cause the background process to go nuts is unintentional, something is also wrong.

It does a LOT. You stick to reading blogs, I'll stick to personal experience with things running in the background causing MASSIVE CPU usage. Something wrong or not wrong, the CPU is being used and kills CPU usage. There's a reason I have yet to upgrade my i5 after upgrading to a 1070 and it has everything to do with optimizing the hell out of my PC and putting an end to things running in the background which in turn rid my bottleneck to a degree in which I do not have to upgrade.

 

This is my personal experience. You stick with yours. I'll stick with mine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

Think what you wish. I'll stick with personal experience.

I'm not clicking on that video, that dude thinks ten mystery games are worth one hundred and forty something dollars when they're in fact worth around twenty something dollars all together.

It does a LOT. You stick to reading blogs, I'll stick to personal experience with things running in the background causing MASSIVE CPU usage. Something wrong or not wrong, the CPU is being used and kills CPU usage. There's a reason I have yet to upgrade my i5 after upgrading to a 1070 and it has everything to do with optimizing the hell out of my PC and putting an end to things running in the background which in turn rid my bottleneck to a degree in which I do not have to upgrade.

 

This is my personal experience. You stick with yours. I'll stick with mine.

Oh wow. That's awesome! Can you please share your PCMR ways with us and show us how you optimize W10? That would be like dope AF. I do envy your personal experience. One day, when I grow up, I hope to be as awesome as you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Oh wow. That's awesome! Can you please share your PCMR ways with us and show us how you optimize W10? That would be like dope AF. I do envy your personal experience. One day, when I grow up, I hope to be as awesome as you.

Well lemme know when you grow up. I'd be more than happy to share my ways on your journey to awesome.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

Well lemme know when you grow up. I'd be more than happy to share my ways on your journey to awesome.

Cool story bro.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×