Facebook Being Taken to Court By Canada's Privacy Watchdog

ThePointblank

Facebook is now facing a lawsuit from the Canadian Privacy Commissioner and the British Columbian Privacy Commissioner following an investigation by the two organizations that is alleging that Facebook violated Canadian privacy laws, and failed to take responsibility for protecting the privacy of information of Canadians. This investigation is just continued fall out from the Cambridge Analytica scandal that has rocked Facebook.

The Canadian investigation was triggered by reports that an app called "This is Your Digital Life," which encouraged users to complete a personality quiz collected the information of users and their Facebook friends, which was passed along to Cambridge Analytica. It is estimated that about 600,000 Canadians had their information passed along to Cambridge Analytica. Per the report, Facebook violated the laws in both Canada and British Columbia in the following ways:

1. Failed to obtain valid and meaningful consent of users;

2. Failed to obtain valid and meaningful consent of the friends of the installing users;

3. Failed to ensure there was adequate safeguards to protect user information;

4. Failed to be accountable for the user information under its control

Facebook in response has admitted to a "major breach of trust" but vehemently disputes the Canadian report, saying the following in an e-mail to the CBC:

After many months of good-faith cooperation and lengthy negotiations, we are disappointed that the OPC considers the issues raised in this report unresolved. There's no evidence that Canadians' data was shared with Cambridge Analytica, and we've made dramatic improvements to our platform to protect people's personal information.

We understand our responsibility to protect people's personal information, which is why we've proactively taken important steps towards tackling a number of issues raised in the report and worked with the OPC to offer additional concrete measures we can take to address their recommendations, which includes offering to enter into a compliance agreement.

As a result of this, the Privacy Commissioner has indicated that he has directed that his office will take down its Facebook page as it doesn't want to be associated with Facebook's privacy rules. Both commissioners are using the report to request more stringent rules when it comes to privacy, along with more meaningful fines for non-compliance.

Source:

CBC:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/privacy-watchdog-cambridge-analytica-facebook-1.5110304

Facebook: "We understand our responsibility to protect people's personal information, which is why we've proactively taken important steps towards tackling a number of issues raised in the report and worked with the OPC tooffer additional concrete measures we can take toaddress their recommendations, which includes offering to enter into a compliance agreement."

Also Facebook: "Give us your e-mail account's password if you want to restore access to your account" 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Good, poke Facebook even more. Shit needs to die

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

And...... after 7 year in court costing the Canadian taxpayer a couple of million dollars, FB cops to a 250k fine........

20 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

sorry to be that guy, but how's the NCIX personal data mishandling case going?

there are so many people that have to take the blame that it's going to be awhile before it gets setteled...

also

facebook rn: 

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

On 4/26/2019 at 3:39 AM, Ethariel01 said:

And...... after 7 year in court costing the Canadian taxpayer a couple of million dollars, FB cops to a 250k fine........

Likely they’d be on the hook for any legal fees too, regardless of whatever fine they end up with. 

In in any case, even if it costs the Canadian tax payer (me) money, I’m 100% on board still. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)