Canon's imaging division reports an 81% drop in Q1 operating profit amidst a 23% drop in sales; smartphones are to blame

D13H4RD

Not too long ago, Canon predicted that the traditional camera market will be halved over the next 2 years owing to the rapid improvements in smartphone imaging technology and the relative ease in sharing them. While others like Fujifilm are more optimistic, it seems that Canon's predictions might bear fruit, as the imaging division recently reported a drop in operating profit by roughly 81% compared to the same quarter in 2018. One primary cause for this? A 23% drop in overall camera sales, with smartphones being a primary factor alongside the economic slowdown in China and Europe. 

That amounts to a decline from ¥25.7 billion ($229.8 million / £178.4 million) last year to ¥4.7 billion ($42 million / £32.6 million) this year. This doesn’t take into account a further ¥1.9 billion ($16.9 million / £13.2 million) deficit in operating profit from broadcast and cinema cameras, which were assigned away from the Imaging Unit.

As foreshadowed by Canon CEO Fujio Mitarai’s now infamous prognostication that the camera market could shrink by half in two years, the company reiterated that the decline will be ongoing and is due to smartphones. 

One strategy Canon is contemplating is to put future DSLR development on the backburner and focusing their development efforts on mirrorless, given the launch of the RF mount and the EOS R late last year and the more recent launch of the relatively affordable EOS RP, which according to Canon, is selling quite well.

Sales of Interchangeable-lens cameras were down 19%, to 850,000 units over the 12-month period. To put that into perspective, Fujifilm sold almost 900,000 instax cameras every month over a similar period of time. Canon cited “accelerated market contraction” for DSLRs, especially entry level cameras, as well as the economic lull in the lucrative Chinese market. 

“For the market overall, however, we expect the trend of market contraction to continue for some time. In light of these circumstances, we decided to reexamine our full-year projections for the market and our own unit sales. We now expect the market and our own unit sales to decline 17% to 8.6 million units and 4.2 million units, respectively.”

Accordingly, the company has identified mirrorless cameras and particularly the RF mount systems as its future. “Amid this situation, we will steadily shift our focus from DSLR to mirrorless cameras with the aim of maintaining our overwhelming competitiveness, which we have built upon DSLRs.”

While the outlook does appear quite gloomy, Canon expects demand for its enthusiast and professional cameras to remain quite stable. 

Personal take

Spoiler

One important distinction here is that the decline primarily affects Canon's entry-level SLR sales such as the Rebel line. That much makes sense since the Rebel line has formed a major part of Canon's bread-and-butter and having a drop in sales there would have had quite an effect on Canon's overall performance. 

With all that said, I don't think the traditional camera market is dying, necessarily. More accurately, it's undergoing a market shift. 

The modern smartphone is honestly more than capable of satisfying many casual shooters, given their rapid improvements in IQ and overall performance over the last couple of years thanks to computational photography. This means there will be less of a reason for casual shooters to pick an entry-level dedicate camera for their typical casual shots, especially when these involve automatic modes. However, enthusiasts and professionals will more than likely stick to dedicated cameras, especially those with better sensors and better features for a more professional oriented workflow. 

So while the entry level/casual end is certainly going by the wayside, the enthusiast and professional end is unlikely to go anywhere. 

Source: Digital Camera World

Official Canon report

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

The best camera is the one you have with you. With people owning great smartphone cameras thanks to optical zoom lenses, computational photography for features like smartHDR and Extended Dynamic Range for video, stellar video and still quality, why would you buy a DSLR? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

10 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The best camera is the one you have with you. With people owning great smartphone cameras thanks to optical zoom lenses, computational photography for features like smartHDR and Extended Dynamic Range for video, stellar video and still quality, why would you buy a DSLR? 

It's way more fun and ergonomic to take photos with. Also, image quality still is better. 

(I am not talking about those 300€ cameras, they can die)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

9 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

There's always going to be a market for DSLRs, even for people who do have smartphones with great cameras.

Thing is, smartphone cameras have gotten really good and are more practical for a lot of people. DSLRs still hold their merits, though: they'll always have an image quality advantage just based on sensor size alone and they'll almost always offer more customization for image settings and shit compared to most phones and especially iPhones.

720p60 shooting on iOS when apple reeeeeeeeeee

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Mihle said:

It's way more fun and ergonomic to take photos with.

Subjective. Also I don’t see how carrying an extra device is more ergonomic. 

Not saying you shouldn’t keep using DSLRs if that’s your thing. But I’m just explaining the rationale behind the market trend. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

As a landscape/atmospheric photographer, here are my reasons:

• A cell phone can't be used for long exposures
  • A cell phone can't easily be mounted to a stable tripod for level shots with no cropping needed
  • A cell phone camera is designed at its heart for short-range shots. That's why long-range shots and highly-zoomed photos look grainy on cell phones, even Pixels.
  • A cell phone isn't going to give you a raw-formatted image that can be easily altered without losing the original image fidelity in the process
  • A halfway-decent DSLR will still give you a better picture than any phone on the market today

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

1 minute ago, handymanshandle said:

720p60 shooting on iOS when apple reeeeeeeeeee

Lol, yeah it is weird that there is no 720p 60fps option xD 

Ok people, I get that we have photographers on the forum. I’m talking about regular people. 

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

A lot of reasons, actually. 

• Better IQ from a single exposure 
  • More flexibility in focal length and aperture options. 
  • Better ergonomics for extended use
  • 10-bit 4:2:0/4:2:2 LOG recording on some cameras (LUMIX GH5 and Fujifilm X-T3) 
  • More natural background blur 
  • Less rolling shutter
  • And more 

But, let's make an important distinction. Everything I said above is really only going to appeal to enthusiasts like me and some professionals may even find them necessary. 

Ask a casual user and they'll probably shake their heads in confusion over what 10-bit LOG is, or whether they can really see much of a difference between natural bokeh and software phokeh. 

The truth is that there are still many reasons on why people would still want a dedicated camera. It's just that many of those reasons are irrelevant to the casual crowd. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Lol, yeah it is weird that there is no 720p 60fps option xD 

That's honestly something that annoyed me to no end on the iPod touch and something that still annoys me to no end on anything with a better camera than that.

It's specific and bizarre, I know, but I kinda don't wanna shoot in slow motion just to shoot at 720p at a good frame rate.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

15 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Because for professional work, you need professional tools. A 1000€ smartphone, despite its high price isn't one no matter how awesome its camera is. Also, no one will take you seriously if you come as a photographer of a wedding and you take pictures with a phone... Besides, physical control of the camera is what you need for pro or even advanced work because it's just faster than smearing your finger over a touch screen. And you need that unless you want to miss a moment you don't want to miss.

I think phones are great for casual users, because this way you have camera with you at all times and they make amazing photos these days. But for professional work, I'd still use a dedicated DSLR camera.

II used to be heavily into photography, I bought a middle of the road DSLR a few years back,  since phones have gotten better and the camera is so bulky to carry I have hardly used it. I will not be buying another. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Not saying you shouldn’t keep using DSLRs if that’s your thing. But I’m just explaining the rationale behind the market trend. 

I bet most of those that stop buying them isn't hobbyist photographers, but rather those that got them for documenting holidays and stuff anyway. 

I have a mirror less and not a a DSLR, but it's almost the same thing in this discussion really.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

2 minutes ago, Mihle said:

I bet most of those that stop buying them isn't hobbyist photographers, but rather those that got them for documenting holidays and stuff anyway. 

Yeah, it's the casual users that have made the move to phones. 

The hobbyist, enthusiasts and professionals are still sticking with the traditional camera, whether it has an optical viewfinder (DSLR) or an electronic one (mirrorless ILC) 

17 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I personally like the bigger thing you have in your hand with an dslr, allows me to hold it steadier. Though as you said, subjective.

But I stick for the joy a dslr gives me while shooting with something like this, the manual feel is not replicable on a smartphone

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

2 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

But I stick for the joy a dslr gives me while shooting with something like this, the manual feel is not replicable on a smartphone

Whenever you can, find the opportunity to get a chance to play with one of the midrange/high-end Fujifilm cameras (X-E/X-T minus X-T100/X-H). 

I have the X-T3 as my primary camera and those analogue dials on the top to adjust ISO and shutter speed are just so satisfying, especially the clicky tactile feedback they give. 

I wouldn't worry about Canon too much; for one, as they've indicated, they see their future in imaging in the professional and enthusiast market, and Canon has other business lines that can sustain them in the long term as well. Ditto Sony, and some of the other camera makers.

Of the ones most exposed to a decline in market size in stand-alone cameras, I would say Nikon is the most exposed; for one, their imaging division is half of their annual revenue, compared to Canon. And Nikon doesn't control their supply chain, especially for sensors; they buy their sensors from Sony, while Canon primarily makes their own.

48 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Better image quality and more freedom on taking them. 

Smartphone camera is nothing compared to DSLR. 

That is why most of the times when there is a new phone announcement with supposedly great camera they will use sample image taken with DSLR. 

With DSLR we can control the aperture and shutter speed to create the image we desire and it has macro lens for close up Pic and Telephoto lens for sport/wildlife photography. 

Let's put it this way.. I never see a professional photographer use smartphone as their primary gear and probably won't be for the next 50,100 years heck idk. 

Smartphone camera is for convenient. but for someone who is really serious about their pics I am sure they will use DSLR for it. 

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

9 minutes ago, ThePointblank said:

Of the ones most exposed to a decline in market size in stand-alone cameras, I would say Nikon is the most exposed; for one, their imaging division is half of their annual revenue, compared to Canon. And Nikon doesn't control their supply chain, especially for sensors; they buy their sensors from Sony, while Canon primarily makes their own.

Nikon is definitely the most vulnerable, alongside others like Olympus, whose imaging divisions make up a significant bulk of the company. 

Canon is quite diverse, and Sony even more so. Even Fujifilm is doing quite well thanks to its Astalift division. But Nikon is going to be getting it real tough. 

Also, I bet Canon is the one of the camera makers that will lose most sales of all of them in %. One exception might be m43 cameras, but who knows yet.

I am not talking like total for the company, just cameras itself 

-Stephen Hawking

1 minute ago, Mihle said:

Also, I bet Canon is the one of the camera makers that will lose most sales of all of them in %. One exception might be m43 cameras, but who knows yet.

Considering Canon absolutely dominates the market (they just celebrated being number #1 in sales in interchangeable lens digital cameras for the 16th year in a row), that's a bit like saying the tallest guy is going to get hurt more when he falls over.

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

the more important point is the size of the sensor ._. it's mostly impossible for any AI to fake the shallow DOF for every single environment case

And the lens.. Most DOF I saw even from top end smartphone made me laugh its like they are trying so hard to fake it.. The AI be like "hey that is not people, let's put lots of gaussian blurr behind them" ?

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

2 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

And the lens.. Most DOF I saw even from top end smartphone made me laugh its like they are trying so hard to fake it.. The AI be like "hey that is not people, let's put lots of gaussian blurr behind them" ?

I think the DoF is mostly affected by the distance. Specifically the focal length of the lens in relation to the distance between it and the subject and the distance between the subject and the background, with aperture playing a second role. 

I don't think the sensor size directly affects it, moreso its crop factor. 

20 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Whenever you can, find the opportunity to get a chance to play with one of the midrange/high-end Fujifilm cameras (X-E/X-T minus X-T100/X-H). 

I have the X-T3 as my primary camera and those analogue dials on the top to adjust ISO and shutter speed are just so satisfying, especially the clicky tactile feedback they give. 

I've heard that, but sadly after I purchased my d5300. It ain't bad, and I'm very satisfied with it, so no plan to change it soon. Next step probably would be full frame, or maybe sometime in the future I will get hold of one on the used market. We'll see

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

12 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

I think the DoF is mostly affected by the distance. Specifically the focal length of the lens in relation to the distance between it and the subject and the distance between the subject and the background, with aperture playing a second role. 

That is determined by the aperture yes. What you just described is just DOF in general. 

You can have close up Pic with little to no DOF if you use shallow aperture. 

Yes what you described is correct but it has more thing to do with the light that bounce of the lens and how much light that can bounce is controlled by the aperture. 

I have watched videos In the past explaining it but I forgot the name of it

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]