UPnP wrecking internet.

So I recently bought ARMA 3 and wanted to host a game for myself and a few friends, since I never get the port forwarding to work I decided to try the UPnP alternative. I logged onto my router and enabled UPnP and started playing.

However, when I tried to go to any website (other than Youtube and google), it said I was unable to connect. Google and youtube worked fine and I was still talking to my friends on Discord and the ARMA game was still active. When I restart my router everything work fine for a few minutes, but then nothing but google and youtube are available. If I start a discord all right after the restart it will never disconnect but if I try to call a few minutes after I am suddenly offline. I disabled UPnP and everything went back to normal. Is there anything I have to do before enabling UPnP?

I did some troubleshooting and tried a few solutions but I can't seem to work right. Some claim it might be a DNS issue (whatever that means) so I got a fixed DNS address (instead of getting it automatically) but that did not seem to fix anything.

My router is a Cisco RV320

(sorry if this has been discussed in another thread or this is posted at the wrong place)

Btw, I know basically nothing about routers, port forwarding or any fancy terms so please use baby language.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know much or anything about UPnP but I know quite a bit about port forwarding and what can prevent it from working. One of the most common faults is double NAT. This is when a client connects their own router to a ISP provided or 3rd party modem/router combo and don't configure bridged mode. Then when they go to port forward they only do so on the router they installed themselves. This prevents port forwarding from working.

Other issues can be depending on your ISP & connection type sometimes port forwarding is outright not allowed.

So there's a few things that we could go over to troubleshoot port forwarding.

On 4/25/2019 at 5:23 PM, Windows7ge said:

I don't know much or anything about UPnP but I know quite a bit about port forwarding and what can prevent it from working. One of the most common faults is double NAT. This is when a client connects their own router to a ISP provided or 3rd party modem/router combo and don't configure bridged mode. Then when they go to port forward they only do so on the router they installed themselves. This prevents port forwarding from working.

Other issues can be depending on your ISP & connection type sometimes port forwarding is outright not allowed.

So there's a few things that we could go over to troubleshoot port forwarding.

Thanks a lot for the offer but it seems to be working fine now!?