Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yenbob288

Automatically waking.

2 minutes ago, yenbob288 said:

Ohhhh... so it was the ethernet... why in the world would that wake it up? and how do I disable it?

Should be a BIOS option to allow wake via LAN.  Disable that.

Posted · Original PosterOP

My PC is all of a sudden waking up automatically from the sleep, every time I switch it off into sleep mode, after a few minutes it will start back up. 

Do you happen to turn any electronics in the room after your set the PC to sleep? what PSU does it use? if outlets are on the same circuit so a power drop on one outlet creates a power drop on all outlets that may induce the computer back on.

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @4.7ghz  |~| Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3200mhz CL16 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: Corsair RM850X 80Plus Gold |~| Boot: WD Black M.2 2280 500GB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk SSD Plus G26 480gb |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display Setup: Acer X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
6 minutes ago, yenbob288 said:

My PC is all of a sudden waking up automatically from the sleep, every time I switch it off into sleep mode, after a few minutes it will start back up. 

Try running these in a command window as admin.

powercfg -lastwake

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

powercfg -waketimers

If it's something obvious (like a device or program) it might show up in one of those.  These have helped me previously.

i7 4790k - GTX 1080 - MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Fractal Design Define S - LOTS of Noctua cooling

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Do you happen to turn any electronics in the room after your set the PC to sleep? what PSU does it use? if outlets are on the same circuit so a power drop on one outlet creates a power drop on all outlets that may induce the computer back on.

Ok so, I have one extension in a wall dedicated to the PC, however, it uses a Thermaltake 600w PSU.

2 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Try running these in a command window as admin.

powercfg -lastwake

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

powercfg -waketimers

If it's something obvious (like a device or program) it might show up in one of those.  These have helped me previously.

Ohhhh... so it was the ethernet... why in the world would that wake it up? and how do I disable it?

this sometimes happens to me, like ill wake up and my computer will be on (i always put it in sleep mode)

uh hi

Posted · Best Answer
2 minutes ago, yenbob288 said:

Should be a BIOS option to allow wake via LAN.  Disable that.

i7 4790k - GTX 1080 - MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Fractal Design Define S - LOTS of Noctua cooling

i have the exact same problem. for a long time i had wake on lan completly turned off everywhere exactly because of this issue. right now im trying to use wake on lan again and sometimes it works and sometimes it so god damn stubborn about not staying asleep that i have switched off the psu at times just to get some piece and quiet. lastwake command shows up empty and i thought it was only supposed to be waking up with a magic packet over ethernet. also when i do send the magic packet to wake it up it only works if the falling asleep process wasnt too long ago. like it will wake within the same hour if i tell it to but not from one nigt to when i get home from work the next day (which was the whole point in the first place). 

7 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

im not quite sure what you mean by that. i dont wanna hijack op`s thread here but i use a corsair sf600 and have it on a master-slave extension plugged into the wall. you know ..when the pc (master) goes out (or below a power consumption threshhold in this case) the monitor and so on (slaves) go out with it and vice versa. but i dont see how power would cause a wake. i thought it was supposed to be an ethernet thing. also doesnt happen at all if i disable wake on lan in bios and software.

3 minutes ago, yenbob288 said:

Ohhhh... so it was the ethernet... why in the world would that wake it up?

called wake on lan. its supposed to be a feature. but as you can read above its not behaving perfectly 100% of the time 

"I know its stupidly overdone and unreasonably unneccesary but wouldnt it be awesome if ..."

CPU: Intel i7 7700k Cooling: Stock cooler (temporary)  MB: ASUS z270i  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB  GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero  DISPLAY: LG 34UC88-B 21:9 1440p SSD(OS): Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD(Games): Samsung 840 EVO 250GB  HDD(Scratch): WD Blue 500GB HDD(Downloads): WD Blue 320GB HDD(Long-term): WD Green 2TB (external)   PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

2 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

but i dont see how power would cause a wake. i thought it was supposed to be an ethernet thing. also doesnt happen at all if i disable wake on lan in bios and software.

It can happen I experienced it myself long ago where PC on sleep mode if I turned on my fan on the bedroom the PC would turn back on.

While this case was much simpler wake in lan situation depending on your peripherals + PSU combination power distribution through the outlets can cause a small peak that causes the PC to turn on, it just wasn't one of those odd scenarios.

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @4.7ghz  |~| Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3200mhz CL16 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: Corsair RM850X 80Plus Gold |~| Boot: WD Black M.2 2280 500GB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk SSD Plus G26 480gb |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display Setup: Acer X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
26 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

It can happen I experienced it myself long ago where PC on sleep mode if I turned on my fan on the bedroom the PC would turn back on.

While this case was much simpler wake in lan situation depending on your peripherals + PSU combination power distribution through the outlets can cause a small peak that causes the PC to turn on, it just wasn't one of those odd scenarios.

so what would be a solution to that?

"I know its stupidly overdone and unreasonably unneccesary but wouldnt it be awesome if ..."

CPU: Intel i7 7700k Cooling: Stock cooler (temporary)  MB: ASUS z270i  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB  GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero  DISPLAY: LG 34UC88-B 21:9 1440p SSD(OS): Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD(Games): Samsung 840 EVO 250GB  HDD(Scratch): WD Blue 500GB HDD(Downloads): WD Blue 320GB HDD(Long-term): WD Green 2TB (external)   PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

Just now, cluelessgenius said:

so what would be a solution to that?

I only got it solved when I replaced the keyboard... or was it the PSU? it could've been both... I don't recall as I replaced both at the same time frame lel

Workstation Rig:
Personal Use Rig: