• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PatXioPC

Got Amazon Alexa? Amazon employees can 'easily' discover your home address

Posted · Original PosterOP

If You Care About Privacy, Throw Your Amazon Alexa Devices Into the Sea

[Source: Gizmodo]

Well, we’ve got some more bad news about the always-on microphone that we’ve all invited into our homes. Employees at Amazon can “easily” discover any user’s home address.

Boomerang news reports in this article after talking with some Amazon Employees who are unnamed:

Anytime someone is collecting where you are, that means it could go to someone else who could find you when you don’t want to be found,

Later Amazon responded saying -

access to internal tools is highly controlled, and is only granted to a limited number of employees who require these tools to train and improve the service by processing an extremely small sample of interactions. Our policies strictly prohibit employee access to or use of customer data for any other reason, and we have a zero tolerance policy for abuse of our systems. We regularly audit employee access to internal tools and limit access whenever and wherever possible

(Source link::https://gizmodo.com/if-you-care-about-privacy-throw-your-amazon-alexa-devi-1834277824?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_twitter&utm_source=gizmodo_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-24/amazon-s-alexa-reviewers-can-access-customers-home-addresses)

console.log("way to pro");

there's a reason I still use an old school stereo system with cds for music.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

This topic.

Hey you put Alexa in your house

You expected Privacy

You....stahp.  Just stahp.  You already knew or didn't care about your privacy.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM (+100mhz core clock), 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiator, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  DSI 90-Key Mechanical Keyboard w/ Cherry Red switches, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Hannspree HF207 and Acer AL2016W monitors

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.  Currently decommissioned to move to an mATX setup on a new MOBO once I pick one out

Schrute: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0, FX 8350, 2x Gigabyte HD 7850 2gb GPUs in crossfire, 16gb (4x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz, Sparkle/FSP 650w PSU, PCCOOLING 160w TDP air cooler, 60gb Patriot SSD Win 10 boot drive, 1tb WDBlack HDD, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 case.  Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, Roku 55" 4k TV

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV for form factor in the kitchen

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 2gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro at the moment

APU Laptop: I need to clean this things TIM up so it can boot into Windows 7 for more than 5 minute before overheating at idle, it has things, I just haven't been on it in 2 years or so

6 minutes ago, PatXioPC said:

If You Care About Privacy, Throw Your Amazon Alexa Devices Into the Sea

Uhhhhhhhhhh

English not good. You should take what I say with a grain of salt

This is the reason why I don't have any smart home devices. I never liked the idea of smart home devices constantly listening out for their activation key word.

The US government and police are likely recording data from those things all the time - with Amazon knowing about it and facilitating it.

Amazon won't say if it hands your Echo data to the government

Same with tons of, or all, other IoT devices. That's what they're all about for the companies that make them: Harvesting and selling user data. And the US government wants all the personal data on people that exists.

The Tech enthusiast has all the newest stuff and a full on smart home.

The programmer's newest piece of tech is a printer from 2003, with a loaded handgun nearby, so that he can shoot said printer if it starts makeing weird noises...

I don't trust any device I didn't set up myself, all my smart home devices are raspberry pi's with open source programs running on them

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

29 minutes ago, PatXioPC said:

What about sea pollution man ?

CPU: i7 4790K | MB: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 32Go Hyper X Fury 1866MHz | GPU's: GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Corsair AX 850 | Storage: Vertex 3, 2x Sandisk Ultra II,Velociraptor | Case : Corsair Air 540

Mice: Steelseries Rival | KB: Corsair K70 RGB | Headset: Steelseries H wireless

I didn't realize this. This is why i keep it unplugged and use my PC and spotify to play music and connect the PC to speakers.

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

sorry i have to point something out here.

YOU GIVE YOUR ADDRESS TO AMAZON TO SHIP SHIT TO YOU.

I don't. II have a separate shipping address. I don't give out my home address.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

6 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Too bad your utility company doesn't have that same level of concern for your address. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

12 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

5 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Too bad your utility company doesn't have that same level of concern for your address. 

What does my utility company have to do with Amazon getting or not getting my home address?

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

mailing addresses have always been sold how is this any different lol

they have your name they can find out your address many other ways

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

What does my utility company have to do with Amazon getting or not getting my home address?

The fact that the vast majority of utility companies were recently (re)discovered to not keep any of your information secured to any reasonable level and this your address is basically public knowledge for anyone interested.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

29 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

The fact that the vast majority of utility companies were recently (re)discovered to not keep any of your information secured to any reasonable level and this your address is basically public knowledge for anyone interested.

With the exception of my ISP, I don't have any utilities per say. I pay for my electricity, water, gas, sewage, and trash pickup through the mobile home court I live in. My telephone is cellular and is listed with my shipping address.

Jeannie

2 hours ago, Mr. horse said:

One used to be able to use a different billing address to get around sales tax online.

But yeah not a bad idea not using your home address on a site like amazon.

For the record, I'm not using a different billing/shipping address(both are the same address for me) to get around paying a sales tax. I use a separate billing address for pretty much everything both to have packages delivered to a secure location until I can pick them up to avoid thefts from porch pirates and to protect my privacy when traveling. I do not want my home address being disclosed to a hotel/motel clerk or out of State sales clerk since it would inform them of an address that is mostly vacant for a certain period of time, information that would be valuable to thieves.

The same is true for my phone number most of the time. I rarely give out my true phone numbers. The businesses that think they just have to have my home phone number when they do not, such as online vendors and for store rewards or discount cards, get an old phone number I still "own" but no longer use (long story but having it saves me money on my ISP bill) with the exchange replaced with 555 (the exchange is the three numbers between the area code and the last four numbers). Anyone stupid enough to try to dial that number gets redirected to directory assistance. This has dramatically reduced the number of scam and spam calls I used to get.

Jeannie

Amazon employees can 'easily' discover your home address

well yea, amazon knows the home address to almost every one of its customers. kinda how their business works. Not to mention name and addresses are public record.

if you care about privacy, abandon your life of technology and become an amish.

Absolutely frightening! I'd hate to have my address being accessible to some wrongdoer!

-proceeds to continue linking multiple online accounts to home address, phone number, social security #, credit ca-

hating popular things as a personality trait is infinitely more cringe than liking things unapologetically