No boot after motherboard change

evening, and thanks in advance for the help

Had my m5a99fx Pro R2 Die

• Gives CPU Error Light and will not post beyond that usb devices do not even turn on. 
  • clearing CMOS and other mobo debug buttons don't allow for booting beyond CPU error
  • Good CPUs do not work in it
  • CPUs, ram, gpu, HDD, PSU tested in board do work in other boards

A friend had recently changed from an FX8320e to an i7 for their NAS so i got the Asrock 970a-G/3.1 and FX8320e from him. 

After some boot testing to make sure that my 8350 and memory will work i have now swapped everything over to the 970a and is now hooked up in the case. 

Now my Windows 10 Install on my HDD from the m5a99fx will not boot windows and the recovery option isn't working (just the version with the win10, not the install/upgrade version)

Gives error with ntoskrnl.exe error code 0xc0000221

i guess now the question i have is, is there an easy way of updating the windows i already have installed to work with the new board (970a-g/3.1) with out the need of a re-format.

attempted to use the MS Win10 install ISO and any recovery options i could find only failed,  leaving the only option to do a fresh install.  even the upgrade my current windows stated can only be used from inside windows. 

i did make a backup of the win image using Macrium, but that is of the old m5a99fx install and fear that it will not work with the asrock board.  - have not tried yet

worst case i guess i could back up my user folder and do a fresh install (hope windows activation doesn't throw a fit). 

PS. Asus m5a99fx Pro R2 and the Asrock 970a-G/3.1 are AM3+ Boards and i'm using the FX8350

pss. installing software and downloading is a problem for me with good old American rural internet (leaving soap box as ATT and Charter give me the finger).  last time i did a reinstall i took my computer (yes the entire thing) to Panera for an day to get it updated and download software. 

CPU: AMD FX8350 CPU Cooler Zalman CNPS 12x Motherboard Asus M5A99FX Pro R2 GPU RX480 4GB) Memory 16GB DDR1333 SSD: PNY Prevail 120G + Corsair Force LE 120G (Steam) Bulk storage Stable Bit Drive Pool with 5x 2TB 2x 3TB PSU Corsair 600w Case Rosewill Throne

You have to reinstall Windows after such massive hardware changes.

I had the same when I switched from an i5 to i7 CPU a while ago.

1 minute ago, Hip said:

You have to reinstall Windows after such massive hardware changes.

I had the same when I switched from an i5 to i7 CPU a while ago.

rip me

how the f&^$ does linus manage just pulling over a random motherboards and using the same HDD like 69 times. 

CPU: AMD FX8350 CPU Cooler Zalman CNPS 12x Motherboard Asus M5A99FX Pro R2 GPU RX480 4GB) Memory 16GB DDR1333 SSD: PNY Prevail 120G + Corsair Force LE 120G (Steam) Bulk storage Stable Bit Drive Pool with 5x 2TB 2x 3TB PSU Corsair 600w Case Rosewill Throne

19 minutes ago, capawesome9870 said:

rip me

how the f&^$ does linus manage just pulling over a random motherboards and using the same HDD like 69 times. 

I assume that people like Linus have more than one test HDD with different installs for different platforms. Or multiple partitions on their single test HDD with different installs for different platforms on each partition.

But for most regular consumers, they tend to just have the one install available to them - the one they have been using on the old platform that they are upgrading from.

Update from the adventure

backed up my user folder to a second drive
attempted to boot to the usb a second time after talking here

would not boot and by chance i ran windows mem test - shows some errors and stopped before it finished

loaded Memtest 86 - with all 4 sticks in - showed an error but didn't exactly say where the error was.  (only test 6 and 8 if i remember)

one by one tested each 4GB stick with Memtest - no errors on any

placed all 4 back in - no errors 0.o

attempted the windows usb again, worked

installed windows

customary Ninite download to get chrome, firefox, vlc, libre office, etc installed

Installed AMD GPU Drivers

went to bed

Now i can not get windows to activate

Did not give an error the night before

attempted the trouble shooter

get to the page of "i changed hardware recently"

find my old Windows license (which is one of the upgrade licenses that should not be as locked down as an oem liscense)

Will not activate ?

this is 90% the same system,

SSD and HDD, GPU, CPU, Memory, fans, cooler, PSU (some do not even get detected but still) the only thing i have changed was the motherboard ?

any tips on activation ?

ps. i'll try it later to see if it just want to wait a little bit

5 hours ago, capawesome9870 said:

Update from the adventure

backed up my user folder to a second drive
attempted to boot to the usb a second time after talking here

would not boot and by chance i ran windows mem test - shows some errors and stopped before it finished

loaded Memtest 86 - with all 4 sticks in - showed an error but didn't exactly say where the error was.  (only test 6 and 8 if i remember)

one by one tested each 4GB stick with Memtest - no errors on any

placed all 4 back in - no errors 0.o

attempted the windows usb again, worked

installed windows

customary Ninite download to get chrome, firefox, vlc, libre office, etc installed

Installed AMD GPU Drivers

went to bed

Now i can not get windows to activate

Did not give an error the night before

attempted the trouble shooter

get to the page of "i changed hardware recently"

find my old Windows license (which is one of the upgrade licenses that should not be as locked down as an oem liscense)

Will not activate ?

this is 90% the same system,

SSD and HDD, GPU, CPU, Memory, fans, cooler, PSU (some do not even get detected but still) the only thing i have changed was the motherboard ?

any tips on activation ?

ps. i'll try it later to see if it just want to wait a little bit

Make sure you log back in with the same microsoft account you used before. As Windows 10 will activate based on your microsoft account. So if you change systems and want to use that old activation code, just log in with your microsoft account from the old system and the activation code should transfer over.

5 minutes ago, CoopNubbit said:

Make sure you log back in with the same microsoft account you used before. As Windows 10 will activate based on your microsoft account. So if you change systems and want to use that old activation code, just log in with your microsoft account from the old system and the activation code should transfer over.

sorry i missed that step
i am on my Microsoft account
it recognizes my 'old' install of win10

then says some sort of problem occurred. 

i think that it might be my bad internet with 900-2000ms ping that is breaking the activation. 

i'll try again in a few hours. 

1 minute ago, capawesome9870 said:

sorry i missed that step
i am on my Microsoft account
it recognizes my 'old' install of win10

then says some sort of problem occurred. 

i think that it might be my bad internet with 900-2000ms ping that is breaking the activation. 

i'll try again in a few hours. 

Where does it say a problem occurred? Like what were you trying to do?

1 minute ago, CoopNubbit said:

Where does it say a problem occurred? Like what were you trying to do?

11 minutes ago, CoopNubbit said:

settings > Activation > Activation trouble shooter > i recently changed hardware > selecting my only win10 license attached to my account  > Error

probably my internet because i can not even open the win store on that computer as of right now (to see on how much a license costs according to M$)

2 minutes ago, capawesome9870 said:

settings > Activation > Activation trouble shooter > i recently changed hardware > selecting my only win10 license attached to my account  > Error

probably my internet because i can not even open the win store on that computer as of right now (to see on how much a license costs according to M$)

Yeah, just keep trying i guess. It does seem to be a connection issue. If you have a cellular plan with a hotspot, i would use the hotspot on your phone to activate it then switch back to whatever you were using.