Single, Unemployed Better "Gamers”

I remember my mother playing Resident Evil 2 despite playing it before, she got stuck very fast, i showed her and was finished in under 1 hours and 30 minutes front to back,  not the remake BTW. RE2 was able to be completed in less than 1 hour 30 by any competent gamer.

My GF played MW2 back in the day with me and had no where near the hand-eye co-ordination i had, however she was very decent at plants vs zombies.

Seems like a load of horse shit made to generate views.

If true I think I might have an explanation:
All the guys are too busy doing each others moms rather then getn gud. - At least that is what I always hear guys are doing on Xbox Live.

/s

1 minute ago, Sypran said:

If true I think I might have an explanation:
All the guys are too busy doing each others moms rather then getn gud. - At least that is what I always hear guys are doing on Xbox Live.

/s

Uhhh no, they are too busy trying to get that last 360 noscope on high dive.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Same results but this time all the results are ordered, and there are no special graphics or different coloured bars to make certain results stand out. Doesn't look so exciting now, does it?
image.png.5123be768012001fb9fb75c0a607874b.png

That graph is just so confusing and largely meaningless.  is there a category for "married woman" or are we to assume only single woman are gamers? what about gender categorizations for advanced English or are we to assume that category is neither male nor female? 

37 minutes ago, porina said:

I don't know if 4% being female is representative or not, because if not, that could skew the results.

This is why confidence intervals are handy, if 8% of all gamer's in that game are female then their 4% automatically makes the confidence interval low. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Where is the graph for the exceedingly higher want for ambition in a man vs women? which propels men like singularity to achieve them?

Though not all men are this way, but as a gender, men are wired more this way.

All the greatest things in life were pioneered by men... says it all. ?

Might explain why males tend to want to 360 no-scope or try something else, it pioneers a new way to play a game.

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

That graph is just so confusing and largely meaningless.  is there a category for "married woman" or are we to assume only single woman are gamers? what about gender categorizations for advanced English or are we to assume that category is neither male nor female? 

This is why confidence intervals are handy, if 8% of all gamer's in that game are female then their 4% automatically makes the confidence interval low. 

Agreed. The whole graph is a joke. Same goes for article. 

Best music.. from men...

King of pop.

Michael Jackson.

King of rock.

A split between Freddy Mercury & Elvis (depends how old you are)

Michael Jackson is the 360 noscope of the music world.. that muthafecka can move like an angel, sing like a demon and make women drop panties.

Sick of the gender politics.

Close this dumb thread, men vs women threads are dumb as fuck.

We do know woman are more "calm" or consistent you can see that from people who finish school women are more consistent in finishing not "better".

You are just going to get into politics talk very fast and the thread can go south.

These are just feminists polls doing this, i dont remember men doing polls or threads "men are better than women", only feminists do when some statistic show more women "better" at something, usually terribly done survey and statistics just like the imaginary wage gap statistics every feminist uses.

3 hours ago, floofer said:

If you want to be a competitive gaming champion, it pays to either be single, unemployed or a woman.

So... basically all of them ?

From what I can tell the sample size was far greater for men than for women and I'd hypothesize that the women in this survey were above average to begin with so the results seem very skewed. Maybe they even screened the profiles beforehand. I also question why the graphs list "women" as a singular group.

We know that in practically all competitive scenes that's it's basically only transgenders that can hang with the top tier in terms of skill. Why that is remains to be properly determined but that's the reality so far. 

3 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

This might sound dubious but how much of that 4% women player base was transgender?

...seriously?

54 minutes ago, porina said:

The more credible survey sites, or should that be least bad survey sites, will try to normalise for other factors when comparing a single factor. They would try to have a representative demographic of respondents and adjust to compensate if not. I don't know if 4% being female is representative or not, because if not, that could skew the results. Maybe it is a higher number but many of the others were like, I don't want to fill in some random survey, and those that did were relatively more invested in the game.

In short, whenever you see any survey or poll, consider who did they ask to respond?

It looks like the survey vanished so... it may just be made up. Either way 200 people (4% of 5000) are a bit of a small sample size; if this is true I think this says more about how these games are marketed and what type of person endures through the stereotypes to play a game they love. I mean, I just quoted someone who felt the need to justify this by claiming the surveyed girls were transgender...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, yian88 said:

Close this dumb thread, men vs women threads are dumb as fuck.

We do know woman are more "calm" or consistent you can see that from people who finish school women are more consistent in finishing not "better".

You are just going to get into politics talk very fast and the thread can go south.

These are just feminists polls doing this, i dont remember men doing polls or threads "men are better than women", only feminists do when some statistic show more women "better" at something, usually terribly done survey and statistics just like the imaginary wage gap statistics every feminist uses.

Chill lol. Women probably are better at some games than others, as some games use different parts of the brain. It doesn't really matter how 'good' you are at a game anyway, a game is to have fun and enjoy. 

6 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

We know that in practically all competitive scenes that's it's basically only transgenders that can hang with the top tier in terms of skill. Why that is remains to be properly determined but that's the reality so far. 

Oh dear, can we stop with this bullshit? Men are only, on average, better at conventional sports because of their typically higher muscle density and faster muscle growth under training. This difference is completely irrelevant in a variety of competitions, including videogames - or can you cite me any real study (not like this one) that shows a biological difference in the ability to play a videogame? The reason we don't see many women at the "top tier" in videogame competition is clearly in the numbers; 4% of these people were female if we believe the statistic, and even if we don't believe this there are plenty of statistics that show that women make up a small minority of these games' audience.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Oh dear, can we stop with this bullshit? Men are only, on average, better at conventional sports because of their typically higher muscle density and faster muscle growth under training. This difference is completely irrelevant in a variety of competitions, including videogames - or can you cite me any real study (not like this one) that shows a biological difference in the ability to play a videogame? The reason we don't see many women at the "top tier" in videogame competition is clearly in the numbers; 4% of these people were female if we believe the statistic, and even if we don't believe this there are plenty of statistics that show that women make up a small minority of these games' audience.

Show me the pro females winning (or competing for them) trophies please. I can only find transgenders that are listed as female. Until you can, the numbers indicate you're wrong. As I said: we're yet to see a female reach the pinnacle. Closest I can come up with is Hafu but that's a WoW tournament and there's still not any consensus on the skill level required due to limiting game mechanics.

2 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Show me the pro females winning (or competing for them) trophies please. I can only find transgenders that are listed as female. Until you can, the numbers indicate you're wrong.

Bullshit. The "numbers" could indicate a slew of different things, if you're going to claim a biological advantage you had better show me some biology to back it up. All this shows is that you have no understanding of science and base your conclusions on sexism. Just by looking at "the numbers" I could make up a lot of conclusions depending on what I want to show.

For instance, by "looking at the numbers" I could infer women are better drivers:

Spoiler

image.png.929c21a690e862e742d00938155ba781.png

but you know as well as I that there are other factors at play here, of which the most relevant by far are social norms.

There's evidence that men and women are on average equal in logical tasks. So again I ask you, where's your evidence that women are biologically less likely to be good at videogames?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

33 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It looks like the survey vanished so... it may just be made up. Either way 200 people (4% of 5000) are a bit of a small sample size; 

200 isn't necessarily a bad sample size, if it is representative, or compared like with like. We just don't know if the male respondents had a greater variety of backgrounds. A more useful indication would be to select male respondents who have a similar demographic mix to the female respondents and only compare those. Maybe they did this, but without a statement to that effect it leaves open the question.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

23 minutes ago, 7Hertz said:

It would be greater if women could stop needing to prove themselves before the world without a single clue how things work too.

I don’t think that’s the case. Please be more polite in this thread. 

4 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

How many steam users could you get to answer a survey? 5000 is a fair bit tbh, but I’d say if your determined enough to answer a survey on steam, your probably more dedicated to the game too.

13 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Show me the pro females winning (or competing for them) trophies please. I can only find transgenders that are listed as female. Until you can, the numbers indicate you're wrong. As I said: we're yet to see a female reach the pinnacle. Closest I can come up with is Hafu but that's a WoW tournament and there's still not any consensus on the skill level required due to limiting game mechanics.

It’s probably more to do that girls straight up have better thing to do. Female athletes in real sports are much more fitter than i’ll ever be, and probably stronger too.

Valerie Adams is probably stronger than anyone on the forum - and for being transgender, her baby would disagree. 

Total myth that women cannot be at fit or as strong as men. It’s just hard for them to achieve as much in the way of strength as fast.

Is it really a wonder why women don’t want to be involved in e-sports when this sort of sexism exists? It just won’t be fun or exciting, so why? Nothing to prove.

Just now, floofer said:

Polite about what?

4 minutes ago, floofer said:

How many steam users could you get to answer a survey? 5000 is a fair bit tbh, but I’d say if your determined enough to answer a survey on steam, your probably more dedicated to the game too.

It’s probably more to do that girls straight up have better thing to do. Female athletes in real sports are much more fitter than i’ll ever be, and probably stronger too.

Valerie Adams is probably stronger than anyone on the forum - and for being transgender, her baby would disagree. 

Total myth that women cannot be at fit or as strong as men. It’s just hard for them to achieve as much in the way of strength as fast.

Is it really a wonder why women don’t want to be involved in e-sports when this sort of sexism exists? It just won’t be fun or exciting, so why? Nothing to prove.

It's not a myth, it's a fact. Trained women are on average about as strong as an average man by default. It's not sexism, it's pure biology. Men have far higher muscle mass and strength, particularly in upper body. Read some documents that aren't feminist nonsense... Not to mention how EVERY field where transgenders compete get dominated by them and it's trained vs trained. Again, nothing to do with sexism or whatever. It's just how male and female bodies are.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

It's not a myth, it's a fact. Trained women are on average about as strong as an average man by default. It's not sexism, it's pure biology. Men have far higher muscle mass and strength, particularly in upper body. Read some documents that aren't feminist nonsense... Not to mention how EVERY field where transgenders compete get dominated by them and it's trained vs trained. Again, nothing to do with sexism or whatever. It's just how male and female bodies are.

There’s nothing average about 4 time Olympic champion Valerie. Stronger than some of the all blacks (120kg) and 1.93m tall. Can throw a shot put 21m.

11 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Bullshit. The "numbers" could indicate a slew of different things, if you're going to claim a biological advantage you had better show me some biology to back it up. All this shows is that you have no understanding of science and base your conclusions on sexism. Just by looking at "the numbers" I could make up a lot of conclusions depending on what I want to show.

For instance, by "looking at the numbers" I could infer women are better drivers:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.929c21a690e862e742d00938155ba781.png

but you know as well as I that there are other factors at play here, of which the most relevant by far are social norms.

There's evidence that men and women are on average equal in logical tasks. So again I ask you, where's your evidence that women are biologically less likely to be good at videogames?

I never claimed there was a biological advantage. You're the only one saying it. It's your knee jerk reaction at play. Quite funny actually. It goes to show you have an agenda and a bias. I present the facts as they stand today and you can't disprove them but you dislike them and therefore you want me to not say it? 

The reason why that is remains to be properly studied as I also said in my original comment. 

Come back to me when you've got a reply with actual content. 

8 minutes ago, floofer said:

What's this even supposed to mean?

First you post an article of dubious nature and when people call out the veracity of it suddenly the subject doesn't matter because women have better things to do?

As for strength and speed: world records would disagree and we're talking about peak performance here. Comparing average people to top female athletes is disingenuous and you know it.

There are plenty of fantastic women in esports and likewise have played with many women and outside of some bad experiences with harassment I'd say most enjoy their time spent playing otherwise they wouldn't put in the hours.

I think you do women a big disservice by brushing off a recreational activity as being a waste of time and by brushing off the amount of time and effort they put in.

24 minutes ago, floofer said:

With over 500.000 players in the last 24h, 5.000 really isn't a lot...

And I generally don't trust statistics I didn't fake myself ^^

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

This sort of analysis is going to become more and more redundant, the evolutionary pressures that favoured certain traits in certain roles prevalent in primitive societies no longer exist in the western world, such selection no longer takes place.

9 minutes ago, floofer said:

Is it really a wonder why women don’t want to be involved in e-sports when this sort of sexism exists?

No it isn't, but those you do find will be pre-disposed to find the reward system of such activity more rewarding than the average.

It's a shame, because gaming is the ultimate meritocracy, if you are working with a team no one really cares who you are, only that you can play as well as your peers.

Bringing gender politics into gaming was and is a mistake, and a detriment to the gaming community as a whole.

20 minutes ago, floofer said:

There’s nothing average about 4 time Olympic champion Valerie. Stronger than some of the all blacks (120kg) and 1.93m tall. Can throw a shot put 21m.

Issue is though for this law of averages applies, statistics matter. Valerie is one awesome human being, who is female, but is still only one person. Not that fitness here matters much anyway? Confused why it needs discussing, my fridge isn't that far form my computer.... nor are cans of coke that heavy.

If I were to generalize I'd say unfit lazy people are roughly equivalent in almost every way, male or female. Get someone who never exercises in their life basically and they will be able to run just as far, just as fast, and collapse just as quickly of exhaustion. Professional athletics on the other hand is different and there has been gender separation for a very long time for a reason and that is backed by both medical and sport science, it's why there is such a huge uproar right now around natural testosterone levels in female athletes (not transgender) because of transgender athletes. With the proposed rules some want I get the sense that Valerie would be impacted by this and have to compete as a male which would mean never getting a podium placing ever again, ever.