Suggestions for Media Center TV roughly $750-1500

TheMunk

I'm looking for something 4k, "real" HDR, decent color, and 55-inch+

I was looking at the Vizio P-Series, but wanted to see if there was anything I'd overlooked.

Thanks

With a $1500 budget you aren't limited to much, you have access to anything really at 55". I would not get the P series if you have that kind of budget, yes it is the only Vizio tv that is worth a damn, but you can get into the new Q60/70 in that range, LG OLED's, and Sony 900F's. You can get very premium, way more than a Vizio. If your budget was around the $800-900 then yes the Vizio is good but not if you can do more.

youknow Ive been looking at the new TV's for awhile as well..  really, I like to game in the living room so I kept looking at the latency ratings on RTINGS website.  Now, I really dont want to mislead you or give bad advice so please take everything I say with a grain of salt.

But, personally I was impressed by the LG 65SK9000.. it just looked nice in the bestbuy when I looked at it.. the colors just really popped and I could see this thing did HDR.. very impressive..    the most important thing to me is that it got very low latency ratings on the RTINGS website.. again I dont even know if they're reliable.. but from what I saw in person it looked nice..   I guess I just want to find a nice TV that has good color and low latency for gaming.   I did manage to find a video that says the LG TV is terrible but it seems slightly sketchy because I saw this TV myself and it looked pretty nice in the best buy store.  I also looked at the samsung NU8000 but the colors looked so washed out on it.  I know its a fast TV and even supports freesync but the TV just didnt look good to me.  I knew I didnt want it as soon as I saw it.

reference: 

I hope I at least added some food for thought on your next TV purchase.   I might go for one of those LG led TV's even though it seems they're moving more towards the OLED TVs lately.  I disagree with this guy in the video above but I havent had this TV in my possession to make my own determination.    IM pretty sure Im gonna fly for that SK9000 tho.. :P

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-65SK9500PUA-65-Inch-Ultra/dp/B079MTNCH6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=lg+65sk9500&qid=1556239781&s=electronics&sr=1-1-catcorr

ok this ones the SK9500 I guess its similar .. linus did a video on this as well.

The SK9000 is good for gaming because of the nano cell panel. I actually prefer gaming on it over my OLED. I just can't justify the price of the SK9000 over something like the Sony 900 series. Also with that being said, LG just released a new model of the LG which I can't speak on because I haven't seen it yet. It's the SM9000. The SK9000's are on clearance basically and I for sure wouldn't pick one of those over a Sony 900 for the same dollar. 

but does the sony 900 series match the LGSK9000 in terms of latency?  for me thats what im into because Im a gamer.. I'll have to look into these sony TV's now. But why are the sony TVs better than the LG ones for the same dollar as you put it?  

If you're going to use it 90% for gaming, then maybe I could agree with it, but if it's going to be a mix of movies and gaming, Sony is king. The 900 isn't bad on latency. You can read numbers all day long, but in actual practice they are usually skewed. For gaming the 9000 is probably faster, IN GAME MODE, which then you give up a lot of the processing and hdr processing while being in game mode. So what do you want? Better image or lower latency? You can't have both.

The LG is also a full array IPS panel, and the Sony 900 is a full array VA panel. I prefer the VA. IPS is too dark IMO.

Honestly it's whatever you feel is better and looks better. Everyone is different in audio and video. Pick what you like.

ah thankyou, this is helpful information..  I kinda wish I could rent both of these TVs and try them out before buying them but the fact that the sony has a VA panel is helpful in making a determination..., even though I'm not sure what a VA panel is. 

the deep black is a good thing but if I wanted that I'd probably go for an oled.. but again latency isnt quite up to snuff with those yet.   

im going to look into those sony's for sure. thanks.  

buying a new TV is sorta fun anyway you slice it :D