"Audiophile" Gaming headphones?

So i'll be getting a higher paying job, and down on my "to buy" list is a better setup, and audio is a aspect of that, so i had PLANNED to buy the:
-Schiit Valhalla Headphone Amp

-Schiit BIFROST Dac
-Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms

However from what i've heard the 770's aren't good for gaming.

So can anyone please share some, closed back, Over-ear, No attached mic, Gaming headphones? [Gaming as in they are Good "For games"]

(I will be listening to music also, and movies/etc, But i'm just curious on the gaming headphones aspect for now)

(Price doesn't really matter, but i want to be blown away by the upgrade >.> As to date, My "best" headphones have been the Philips Performance SHP9500, as long as the new headphones aren't like.... $1,000)

THAT MOMENT YOU DISASSEMBLE YOUR COMPUTER....AND REASSEMBLE IT ....JUST SO SENPAI WILL NOTICE YOU

My favorite headphone for gaming right now is AKG K7XX with Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin pads. It's very open and the sound stage seems much wider than my Sennheiser 6XX headphones which I prefer for music. Positional audio seems to work better. I play a lot of Battlefield, and Dice's headphone surround mix works beautifully on them. Dekoni pads seem to help a bit, also super comfy.

Also rather unexpensive at $200, and $80 for the pads.

It really depends on what games and music you consume. I use the K7xx and they have a good amount of bass, a wide soundstage, and some more attributes that make it great for my favourite music (hiphop) and my favourite games (War Thunder and Apex)

52 minutes ago, logan said:

770's aren't good for gaming.

52 minutes ago, logan said:

[Gaming as in they are Good "For games"]

There's no such thing as headphones "for games"... what does that even mean?

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

dt 770 a re great for gaming fun and dynamic . but the bass response might be a bit too much for a things like gunshots or explosions being a con for competitive gaming where you wanna listen to the footsteps. but the dt 770 are the best closed backs for gaming IMO at around that price point as the soundstage and imaging is basically uncontested for a closed back. but you can always eq for gaming by making lower frequencies flatter and leaving the high as the dt 770 have excellent sounding and detailed highs. but for open backs you have a lot more options like dt 880, 990, or hd 58x, akg k7xx, ath 900x  and many more at higher price points

also with you amp and dac you can run fostex's so I would say a fostex t50 mod would be great like a dekoni blue, or a t60rp. both super comfy and sound great and planar. other great closed backs for gaming are one more tridents and ATh-WS11000is

5 hours ago, _Syn_ said:

There's no such thing as headphones "for games"... what does that even mean?

he never said headphones for games though all heasaid were Gaming as in they are Good "For games"].   meaning he just wanted a pair of headphones that are good for playing games with. which exist.

6 hours ago, Labeled said:

Good headphones, ARE good for games. I don't know who told you they aren't good for gaming... I use AKG Q701s for gaming.

some good headphones are not meant to be gamesd on though especially headphones that are too narrow . or dont have the best imaging  or separation. other headphones can just do a better job. 

schiit magni 3 + modi 2 + akg k712 pro, one of the best setups for gaming :D , one of the best for imaging

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

5 hours ago, rice guru said:

he never said headphones for games though all heasaid were Gaming as in they are Good "For games"].   meaning he just wanted a pair of headphones that are good for playing games with. which exist. 

When you say "good for playing games with" you're implying comfort and functionality?, but I don't think he's talking about that he's only talking about sound, which again, I don't know what kind of magic sound that is "good for games", that doesn't make any sense

1 hour ago, _Syn_ said:

When you say "good for playing games with" you're implying comfort and functionality?, but I don't think he's talking about that he's only talking about sound, which again, I don't know what kind of magic sound that is "good for games", that doesn't make any sense

A headphone good for games mean a couple of things. In the headphone world there are things called soundstage , separation and imaging. Soundstage is how wide the environment sounds , separation is how good a headphone would separate every little sound as a distict sound and imaging would be where each sound is placed. Good  headphones for gaming need all of those to be good because when Playing a shooter or.competitve game  you need to know where to look when you are hearing footsteps. Not all headphones are made equally or designed to sound like that. Some headphones just are better for the job than others and thats when we get in to the issue of headphones for gaming because theoretically headphones make sound and we should be able to gaming on any of them but   if you actually care that wouldn't be the case

5 hours ago, Peskanova said:

schiit magni 3 + modi 2 + akg k712 pro, one of the best setups for gaming :D , one of the best for imaging

Magni 3 ain't that good anymore but the other 2 are still great

39 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

Agree, don't buy into the over priced over marketed "gaming headphones"

I like the k240 sextett's with a good equalizer setup myself. 

I love my k240 55 ohm  myself used to game on it a lot before I upgraded. but damn sextetts are hard to drive. 

5 hours ago, rice guru said:

A headphone good for games mean a couple of things. In the headphone world there are things called soundstage , separation and imaging. Soundstage is how wide the environment sounds , separation is how good a headphone would separate every little sound as a distict sound and imaging would be where each sound is placed. Good  headphones for gaming need all of those to be good because when Playing a shooter or.competitve game  you need to know where to look when you are hearing footsteps. Not all headphones are made equally or designed to sound like that. Some headphones just are better for the job than others and thats when we get in to the issue of headphones for gaming because theoretically headphones make sound and we should be able to gaming on any of them but   if you actually care that wouldn't be the case

Yeah I know all that, but all those qualities describe a good headphone, doesn't matter if it's for music or movies or gaming or whatever, saying it's "for games" is beyond me

2 hours ago, _Syn_ said:

Yeah I know all that, but all those qualities describe a good headphone, doesn't matter if it's for music or movies or gaming or whatever, saying it's "for games" is beyond me

Like I said some are better than others just depends on what you of gaming you wanna do

Personally I feel soundstage is the most important for gaming, as that separation enables the positional audio to really shine. 

I'll just chime in and say I think the 770 is a-ok for gaming. No idea where you heard it wouldn't be  :)

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!