New Router/Modem

ZeusXI

So our router is getting old and my family thinks it is dying and asking me to check out new ones.

I was looking at the Orbi mesh network, the google wifi, and another Netgear Router/Modem.

Im not sure what router/modem we have, but i know its 10/100/1000 Gigabit and it has 2.4G and 5G networks on it. 

9 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

So our router is getting old and my family thinks it is dying and asking me to check out new ones.

I was looking at the Orbi mesh network, the google wifi, and another Netgear Router/Modem.

Im not sure what router/modem we have, but i know its 10/100/1000 Gigabit and it has 2.4G and 5G networks on it. 

All the solutions you have listed are routers/accesspoints modems are pieces of hardware that turn the signal from your ISP's network into something that routers, and computers can use. So if you currently have a router modem combo will need to also factor in the purchase of a new modem.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

2 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

All the solutions you have listed are routers/accesspoints modems are pieces of hardware that turn the signal from your ISP's network into something that routers, and computers can use. So if you currently have a router modem combo will need to also factor in the purchase of a new modem.

its a 2 in 1. its a router and a modem itself

Just now, ZeusXI said:

its a 2 in 1. its a router and a modem itself

Okay then if the unit is dying you are going to need to factor in the price of a new modem, to start research on that you need to identify whether your ISP uses DSL, cable, or fiber optic to deliver the internet to your home, then you need to find the frequencies that your ISP uses to deliver the internet to your home, then you need to identify a modem that meets your needs for speed, and is compatible with all the aforementioned factors.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

6 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Okay then if the unit is dying you are going to need to factor in the price of a new modem, to start research on that you need to identify whether your ISP uses DSL, cable, or fiber optic to deliver the internet to your home, then you need to find the frequencies that your ISP uses to deliver the internet to your home, then you need to identify a modem that meets your needs for speed, and is compatible with all the aforementioned factors.

its cable and we are paying for the 12mbps Uload/74mpbs download

1 minute ago, ZeusXI said:

Okay, then next we need to know what frequencies your ISP uses.

2 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Okay, then next we need to know what frequencies your ISP uses.

2.4G and 5G. those frequencies right?

Just now, ZeusXI said:

2.4G and 5G. those frequencies right?

Those are your Wi-Fi frequencies, they are the what your devices use to connect to your accesspoint, which then talks to the modem, which then converts the packets to an open frequency on your cable that the modem at the ISP can understand, to then send your packet off to the broader internet.

23 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

Can you provide the model number of your current modem/router? OR can you verify which docsis standard it is, generally it should be listed somewhere on the product Id assume. Also, check to see if your ISP has a supported device list, some do and some dont. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

16 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Can you provide the model number of your current modem/router? OR can you verify which docsis standard it is, generally it should be listed somewhere on the product Id assume. Also, check to see if your ISP has a supported device list, some do and some dont. 

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/C3700.aspx

here is the router we currently have

it has 2.4G and 5G networks

5 hours ago, ZeusXI said:

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/C3700.aspx

here is the router we currently have

it has 2.4G and 5G networks

Its a Docsis 3.0 8x4 Gateway (Modem Router all in one). 

So you either need to find another gateway, which I think all suck dog shit. OR you need to buy a modem and separate router. Either way Id make sure the modem part is at least a Docsis 3.0 16x4 or 24x8 modem, for the record thats the amount of downstream and upstream channels that the modem supports. The more channels the faster speeds and potentially to more stable connection you can achieve. While your 8x4 modem works, there has been indications that some cable providers might start kicking them off their networks. If you buy your own equipment, then you are required to upgrade on the ISP's schedule. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.