Audio Questions about Virtualization

Hello everyone, I have a few questions about the functionality and feasibility of this idea. Also, first post here since I joined 4 years ago! :D

I'd like to turn add another VM to my VMWare ESXi server and use it as a streaming PC. My plan is to pass everything through the VM to use it as a Streaming PC with a Capture Card and OBS, and I wanted to know if anyone has done this before and if this will actually work.

I'm still waiting on all of the parts to arrive but basically right now I'm having trouble getting sound to play out of headphones (from one of the two VMs I currently have setup) that I connect directly to the System. The motherboard only has one PCIe 16x slot, and I'm going to use that for the capture card which I will pass through to the VM. I don't foresee any issues with that, but I then have no slot for a sound card to also pass-through. So I want to know of a way that I can get all of the sound on one VM to play through headphones that I plug into the motherboard of the machine.

Thanks for your help.

What system is this?

Would it be possible to just run obs on the host, and run something like hyper-v or kxm as the virt host?

What are you capturing from? You might not need a capture card if you use ndi to send the signal.

Might be possible to passthough on board audio, did you try that?

13 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What system is this?

Would it be possible to just run obs on the host, and run something like hyper-v or kxm as the virt host?

What are you capturing from? You might not need a capture card if you use ndi to send the signal.

Might be possible to passthough on board audio, did you try that?

The Host is running VMWare ESXi and I am running VMs through that. It's a proper server setup. I'm going to be capturing from a Windows 10 Machine once it's all configured. I'll look into NDI through OBS and see if that's a good idea for what I have planned.

Also, I tried to find on board audio in the list of Hardware to pass through but the "HD Audio" is greyed out. Any ideas?1905940029_e8voNMV1.png.c727ce9d3de0862e66d44a917ae24a8f.png

3 minutes ago, Matthewjk said:

Also, I tried to find on board audio in the list of Hardware to pass through but the "HD Audio" is greyed out. Any ideas?

Probably as its tied to other parts of the board.

3 minutes ago, Matthewjk said:

The Host is running VMWare ESXi and I am running VMs through that. It's a proper server setup. I'm going to be capturing from a Windows 10 Machine once it's all configured. I'll look into NDI through OBS and see if that's a good idea for what I have planned.

What hardware?

Running anouther hypervisor with hyper-v or kvm would make this much easier, so are you open to that? 

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Probably as its tied to other parts of the board.

What hardware?

Running anouther hypervisor with hyper-v or kvm would make this much easier, so are you open to that? 

I think I would be open to that. I have experience with Hyper-V but the reason I chose to go this route was because I didn't want a host eating too much CPU usage. I don't have any experience with KVM so that's something I'd have to look into.

My next step would probably just be to create a windows machine that is the server host and can also be the streaming PC, and then run the VMs through Hyper-V from there.

Hardware is an ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mo/bo, soon-to-be 24GB RAM, and an i5-7400.

Just now, Matthewjk said:

I think I would be open to that. I have experience with Hyper-V but the reason I chose to go this route was because I didn't want a host eating too much CPU usage. I don't have any experience with KVM so that's something I'd have to look into.

My next step would probably just be to create a windows machine that is the server host and can also be the streaming PC, and then run the VMs through Hyper-V from there.

Yea, id try putting server 2019 on the host, and running obs in there. You can limit the usage of obs if you want as well.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea, id try putting server 2019 on the host, and running obs in there. You can limit the usage of obs if you want as well.

What are your thoughts on getting something like this (https://www.wiredzone.com/supermicro-components-motherboards-accessories-rsc-r2ut-2e8r-10019543 )and then getting an audio card and using in conjunction with the capture card. Also like you said, I may not even need to use a capture card if it works out like I want it to.

Just now, Matthewjk said:

What are your thoughts on getting something like this (https://www.wiredzone.com/supermicro-components-motherboards-accessories-rsc-r2ut-2e8r-10019543 )and then getting an audio card and using in conjunction with the capture card. Also like you said, I may not even need to use a capture card if it works out like I want it to.

What server are you using?

Those cards need board support, and won't work in a normal motherboard normally.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What server are you using?

Those cards need board support, and won't work in a normal motherboard normally.

Specs listed here:

6 minutes ago, Matthewjk said:

Hardware is an ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mo/bo, soon-to-be 24GB RAM, and an i5-7400. 

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

That should work fine then, and using hyperv/kvm will let you use quicksync for much lower cpu usage when encoding.

Alright it sounds like a plan! Thank you! :D