My HP Compaq pro 6300 doesnt turn on after ATX psu installation

Hello,

I recently bought a HP Compaq pro 6300, but after a few days the psu stopped working, it was probably due to the heavier quadro m4000 the seller put in that I replaced with a GTX 1060 -125w tdp- (the seller was also selling this pc with a rx 580 -180w tdp-). So I contacted the seller and he just said it wasn’t possible and that is was my problem without giving me a replacement or any other kind of help. So I figured that it would be a good idea to put a atx power supply in it and be certain that it could handle the bigger GPU.

I did some research on a couple of forums and watched a couple of videos and I set to work to wire the atx psu so that it was compatible with this “Apple like” HP board that uses 2x 6pin. I ordered a 5-12v adapter and connected all the wires. But when I tried to turn it on the fans of the cpu cooler, case and psu just spin for a split second and it stops, followed by a few seconds of nothing. This repeats infinitely until I turn of the psu. 

I have tried measuring the voltages of the new psu and comparing them to the old one (it still turns on). And it all seems fine, I can’t put my finger on what the problem is and I hope maybe someone has some experience with this and knows what to do. 

I also find it very weird that the board gives a 3,6v signal on the pin that’s usually connected to the grey wire.

I’ve used this psu and diagram:

https://images.app.goo.gl/MqHrLfyZSpqnGQ6p9

https://azerty.nl/product/xilence/925122/performance-c-series-xp700-voeding--intern--200-240-v-wisselstroom-v?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv9Tu3pHp4QIVB-h3Ch1iGw7zEAQYASABEgKFXfD_BwE

(the psu is known good and just works when I put it in a pc or short the green wire)

Any kind of help would be apriciated and if you need more info just ask.

Just now, Srijan Verma said:

Tired booting without dedicated GPU?

Hello, thanks for your reply. Yes I have tried booting without a dedicated gpu and it gives the same result.

10 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

I know it's an all in one but have you tried these steps?

I’ve just tried everything in the list that I haven’t tried before with no luck. Still the same thing happens.

what did you mean when you said it stopped working but  would turn on?
i mean do the leds light up?

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

5 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

what did you mean when you said it stopped working but  would turn on?
i mean do the leds light up?

The psu has no less but when it was still in the pc the computer would turn on and boot into windows. The psu meanwhile was making a high pitched sound and under load the pc would shut down and reboot. One time when someone was playing fortnite it blew smoke out of the rear of the computer. I’ve removed it since then but can still turn it on by shorting the green wire to measure the voltages (that all seem stable) and see what wire does what.

Here is a video to illustrate: 

And I just now start to think about it; doesn’t the mobo need a “power_ok” signal?

5 minutes ago, Tummy said:

The psu has no less but when it was still in the pc the computer would turn on and boot into windows. The psu meanwhile was making a high pitched sound and under load the pc would shut down and reboot. One time when someone was playing fortnite it blew smoke out of the rear of the computer. I’ve removed it since then but can still turn it on by shorting the green wire to measure the voltages (that all seem stable) and see what wire does what.

Hp has a good customer service why not just contact them instead of the dude who sold it to you?

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

22 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

Hp has a good customer service why not just contact them instead of the dude who sold it to you?

The computer is out of warranty. And do you think they will help me with installing a non-hp psu? I suppose that they will only help me if I buy a new one. But it’s worth a shot, I could at least try and ask them for help.

Okay, I figured it out. The 3.3v sense wire wasn’t connected in the setup in which I used it in the HP desktop. It would turn on without any load or when it was in a standard atx pc, but the power supply would instantly shut off when it sensed that it couldn’t measure the 3.3v line hence creating the weird behaviour.

• 1 year later...
On 4/27/2019 at 12:19 AM, Tummy said:

Okay, I figured it out. The 3.3v sense wire wasn’t connected in the setup in which I used it in the HP desktop. It would turn on without any load or when it was in a standard atx pc, but the power supply would instantly shut off when it sensed that it couldn’t measure the 3.3v line hence creating the weird behaviour.

Hello, I am having exactly the same problem with my PSU upgrade on my HP6300ProSFF. I bought a FSP SFX 500W PSI and done all the cables correctly. When I power on, the power switch LED is showing exactly like your posted video. You mentioned the 3.3v sense wire wasn't connected. Can you please advise me what or how to connect the 3.3v sense wire to get the PC booted up. Appreciate in advance your advice on this issue. Thank you. 

20 hours ago, WONGTS said:

Hello, I am having exactly the same problem with my PSU upgrade on my HP6300ProSFF. I bought a FSP SFX 500W PSI and done all the cables correctly. When I power on, the power switch LED is showing exactly like your posted video. You mentioned the 3.3v sense wire wasn't connected. Can you please advise me what or how to connect the 3.3v sense wire to get the PC booted up. Appreciate in advance your advice on this issue. Thank you. 

Hello please ignore my queries. I managed to sort it out. Now my mod is finally up and running. Successful mod. Close file.