Port forwarding through two routers

I have recently bought a Netgear R7800 as I finally lost patience with my ISP provided piece of crap (UK- Sky Hub SR102) which I have had for years. Have now switched all devices/ smart home bits and pieces over to the new router and disabled the wifi on the Sky Hub. Last thing to do now is try and get the ports forwarded which I had set up on my SkyHub but having real trouble. 

Do I remove all the port forwarding from the sky hub and just configure the netgear? I have tried some many different configs but just cannot seem to get it correct. I have assigned static IPs for my netgear within the sky hub and then also my NAS within the netgear but cant get it to play nice.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Are you using the new netgear as a router or simply as an AP?

If the netgear is setup as an AP then the excising rules on the Sky Hub should be enough.

If you are using both the Sky Hub and Netgear both as routers then you will need to port forward anything from the Sky router to the netgear router and then on the netgear port forward to the PC you want it to end up as.

If you want to share the old config then I can try and be a little more specific :)

I have set the new router up as separate rather than an access point so the old router is connected to the internet, no wifi enabled with just the new netgear wired in. the netgear is assigned 192.168.0.99 within the skyhub. Then everything within the netgear is assigned 192.168.1.*

So for example, for Remote Desktop, would I need to forward port 3389 in the sky hub to 192.168.0.99 but then not sure where to go from there?

51 minutes ago, SirobLeRoi said:

I have set the new router up as separate rather than an access point so the old router is connected to the internet, no wifi enabled with just the new netgear wired in. the netgear is assigned 192.168.0.99 within the skyhub. Then everything within the netgear is assigned 192.168.1.*

So for example, for Remote Desktop, would I need to forward port 3389 in the sky hub to 192.168.0.99 but then not sure where to go from there?

so you would want a rule on the sky hub, to port forward to the netgear:

inbound port: 3389   ----> outbound ip: 192.168.0.99, outbound port: 3389

then a rule on the netgear

inbound port: 3389   ----> outbound ip: <IP if PC running remote desktop>, outbound port: 3389

Cracked it. For some reason my server had classified the new network as public which revoked all of its sharing permissions. Once I classified the new network as home I went and did exactly what I thought I should do in the first place and what you have described above and all is now well! Thank you 

2 hours ago, SirobLeRoi said:

Glad you got it working. But, why did you put the Netgear on it's own subnet? Why even use the router functionality of the Netgear at all in this situation?

You're still using the SkyHub as everything but WIFI, so it's still doing all the routing, etc. If WIFI was the only issue, I'd suggest turning the Netgear into an AP and using it on the same subnet as everything else.

If the Routing is the problem, I'd look to see if the SkyHub has a "modem only" mode.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)