Unfamiliar sound coming from PSU

tfvanh

Hey everyone, I recently build a new system and the one thing that has been annoying me is the sound the PSU makes, not the sound itself but not knowing wether or not it's a sound that's completely normal or something I should go back to the store with. The sound is always going, and definatly coming from the PSU as the sound will be there without having the GPU connected, regardless of the PC performance the sound is the same, it's coming from the PSU/GPU area hence I also checked without the GPU plugged in. PC is working fine, I just don't know the sound and if it's something that shouldn't be there it's better to return it. 

I recorded the sound with the fans making the most noice, if you listen closely you can hear the PSU sound i'm referring to. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7YB0003VXs&feature=youtu.be

I'd describe it as slurpy/ grindy? Not sure.

Gigabyte GP-B700H 700W PSU is what I'm using.

Thanks!

Probably a bad fan. If you just bought it then swap it at the store you bought it from, or RMA it to the manufacturer.
What unit is it?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Joshcanread said:

what psu matey 

right ^^ Gigabyte GP-B700H 700W PSU 

Just now, Spotty said:

Probably a bad fan. If you just bought it then swap it at the store you bought it from, or RMA it to the manufacturer.
What unit is it?

Yea got it last friday, its a Gigabyte GP-B700H 700W PSU 

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

What unit is it?

Gigabyte GP-B700H 700W PSU 

3 minutes ago, tfvanh said:

Yea got it last friday, its a Gigabyte GP-B700H 700W PSU 

Return it to the store you bought it from, get a refund, and buy something else.
How much did you spend on the PSU (so I know how much money you have to spend on something else)? What store did you buy from?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

Return it to the store you bought it from, get a refund, and buy something else.
How much did you spend on the PSU (so I know how much money you have to spend on something else)? What store did you buy from?

61 euro

https://www.megekko.nl/product/4186/968690/PC-Voedingen-PSU-/Gigabyte-GP-B700H-700W-PSU-PC-voeding

Might be the PSU, not sure.

@LukeSavenije
you

knknow what to do here

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

400/500 W isn't enough, 500 is atleast cutting it close. Currently running GTX 2060/ i5-9600k/ 32gb ddr 3000 mhz ram/ samsung 970 & 860 ssd/ msi z 390 mobo. 

It does sound very simular to an HDD, problem is I dont have an HDD so theres litteraly no way its coming from that XD I did unplug the gpu, and very sure it's coming from the PSU.

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

@LukeSavenije
you

knknow what to do here

He helped with the build configuration aswell :P

13 minutes ago, tfvanh said:

400/500 W isn't enough, 500 is atleast cutting it close. Currently running GTX 2060/ i5-9600k/ 32gb ddr 3000 mhz ram/ samsung 970 & 860 ssd/ msi z 390 mobo. 

How would a 400W PSU not be enough to power a 300W PC? 400W is more than 300W, not less

:)

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

How would a 400W PSU not be enough to power a 300W PC? 400W is more than 300W, not less

https://outervision.com/b/wcI5NW & this post on the forums show 450+ with 550 W requirement if you OC. 

1 minute ago, tfvanh said:

https://outervision.com/b/YZ6wTZ & this post on the forums show 450+ with 550 W requirement if you OC. 

And you can see from Anandtech's review that the system will use less than 300W under a gaming load.

That is wall power, so the DC side power consumption will be ~10% lower. You are not going to add 100W to a 160W card by overclocking on air.

:)

8 minutes ago, seon123 said:

And you can see from Anandtech's review that the system will use less than 300W under a gaming load.

That is wall power, so the DC side power consumption will be ~10% lower. You are not going to add 100W to a 160W card by overclocking on air.

Well regardless of how much watt I need, it's more about the one I currently have and wether I should keep it/ get a new one/ get another one. Just get another one is not really an option if it's not broken, if it is broken it would be fixed by getting a new one. If it's the PSU, and it's nothing out of the ordinary for this specific one then i'm not gonna bother sending it back for a bit of sound. 

18 minutes ago, tfvanh said:

An i5 9600k overclocked to 5GHz is 180W in a synthetic stress test.
An RTX 2060 is about 160W stock, or about 190-200W overclocked.
Motherboard, RAM, fans, LEDs, SSDs give another 50W or so.

So peak load with everything overclocked running synthetic tests designed to stress test CPU/GPU you're looking at up to 450W max. More realistic real world gaming load would probably be closer to 350W. Less if you're not going hard on the overclocks.

1 minute ago, tfvanh said:

https://outervision.com/b/YZ6wTZ & this post on the forums show 450+ with 550 W requirement if you OC. 

Outervision lies. That forum post is 5 years old (updated in 2016 though) and talks about systems with FX series CPUs. It's outdated.

If it would put your mind at ease, then there are some 500/550W PSUs in the few I listed earlier, including the Masterwatt 550, Corsair CX550, and Pure Power 500W. All around the same price as your current unit.

Just now, tfvanh said:

Well regardless of how much watt I need, it's more about the one I currently have and wether I should keep it/ get a new one/ get another one. Just get another one is not really an option if it's not broken, if it is broken it would be fixed by getting a new one. If it's the PSU, and it's nothing out of the ordinary for this specific one then i'm not gonna bother sending it back for a bit of sound. 

If the sound is coming from the PSU then it is likely a bad fan bearing, which means there's a higher chance that the fan will die soon and since that particular PSU does not have fan failure protection or OTP (Over Temperature Protection) when the fan dies the unit will likely overheat and fail, potentially catastrophically.
Since you just bought it are you able to return it to the store you bought it from for a refund? Even if you just get store credit instead of a cash refund and use the credit to buy a different PSU like the ones I listed above which are similarly priced.

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

An i5 9600k overclocked to 5GHz is 180W in a synthetic stress test.
An RTX 2060 is about 160W stock, or about 190-200W overclocked.
Motherboard, RAM, fans, LEDs, SSDs give another 50W or so.

So peak load with everything overclocked running synthetic tests designed to stress test CPU/GPU you're looking at up to 450W max. More realistic real world gaming load would probably be closer to 350W. Less if you're not going hard on the overclocks.

Outervision lies. That forum post is 5 years old (updated in 2016 though) and talks about systems with FX series CPUs. It's outdated.

If it would put your mind at ease, then there are some 500/550W PSUs in the few I listed earlier, including the Masterwatt 550, Corsair CX550, and Pure Power 500W. All around the same price as your current unit.

If the sound is coming from the PSU then it is likely a bad fan bearing, which means there's a higher chance that the fan will die soon and since that particular PSU does not have fan failure protection or OTP (Over Temperature Protection) when the fan dies the unit will likely overheat and fail, potentially catastrophically.
Since you just bought it are you able to return it to the store you bought it from for a refund? Even if you just get store credit instead of a cash refund and use the credit to buy a different PSU like the ones I listed above which are similarly priced.

Thank you, stopped the fan at start up and there was no sound. Definatly the fan, if fan bearing is indeed that bad as you described i'll definatly return it. Maybe look at 400/500 ones aswell then.

48 minutes ago, tfvanh said:

i run something similar on a 550w...

will do just fine on a 500

5 minutes ago, tfvanh said:

Thank you, stopped the fan at start up and there was no sound. Definatly the fan, if fan bearing is indeed that bad as you described i'll definatly return it. Maybe look at 400/500 ones aswell then.

and you'll get a better quality psu in general too

rifle bearing will improve the fan a lot

Make sure the fan isn't hitting against the fan grill. You may be able to feel it vibrate.

This is a common issue where the grills are collapsed inward during shipping.

You could pry away the PSU fan grill. Simply mounting the PSU sucking air from above can also fix the issue.