Which display?

gravdestroyer

I am getting a new display for my 1070 laptop. What should I prioritise? HDR or 144hz? The monitors that I am thinking of getting are either HDR with 60fps or 144hz with no HDR. Is HDR that important. I  am not a competitive gamer. 

Acer Predator Helios 500

8th Gen Intel Core i7 8750H

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 8GB (Mobile)

16GB DDR4 SDRAM

1TB Hard Drive

256 GB Solid State Drive

Processor Speed 2.20 GHz

Wireless LAN Standard IEEE 802.11ac

Screen Resolution 1920 × 1080

Operating System: Windows 10 Home

Even if you are not a competitive gamer you should not settle for a 60hz panel especially when you have such a capable GPU. I think you should go for a 144 hz panel for without HDR ( You can go for the Samsung CHG70 curved 1440p with 144hz and HDR for 450$. It is a bit expensive but you can wait a little to save some more money and make no compromises)

Hope this helps.

monitor link-https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824022583&Description=HDR monitor&cm_re=HDR_monitor-_-24-022-583-_-Product

The first thing you need to consider is resolution, if you want to play on 1440p with your gpu you can easily play on 60fps but 144hz is way above your gpu power and for 4k if you don't lower your graphic setting to medium or lower its impossible to plays.

The second thing is if your gpu is a max-q gpu or not. Max-q gpus tend to be 20-25% slower than normal gpus so pay attention to that.

And the last thing is you need a g-sync monitor to use g-sync but you can get a freesync monitor if your laptop have displayport which is way cheaper.

By the way if you are going to play game casually, sightseeing in games and enjoy high quality graphics then I recommend a HDR monitor but before choosing please go to a local shop and find a monitor with 144hz refresh rate and compare that with a 60hz monitor.

I did that and decide 144hz monitor is better for me because of how smooth my gaming experience was on it.

As for HDR they give you better color but for most people its not that much of deal to give up on a high resolution/ refresh rate monitor.