Lights dimming on amp, sub distorts, power issue?

Xplod2064

Hello all, I don't know if this topic is suited for this forum but I am not sure where else I can post this.

So I have a sub and amp in my car, in which I have a problem with whenever the sub is turned up, or the bass drops, on a song the lights on the amp dim and the sub distorts when it is only at like 30% bass in which I have no idea, the earthing is good that I know of.

I don't know if it is the car battery CCA rating is not high enough for the sub and amp or if it is the wiring to them which isn't big enough.

Any suggestions?

Sub & Amp I have;

Quick Note I cannot find the amperage these 2 things use each so I don't know how many amps it is pushing to power them.

Sub: https://www.bossaudio.com/product/car-audio-sound-system-auto-stereo-dual-voice-coil-subwoofer-boss-audio-p129dc/

Amp: https://www.bossaudio.com/?post_type=product&p=15764&preview=true&from=search

7 minutes ago, Xplod2064 said:

Hello all, I don't know if this topic is suited for this forum but I am not sure where else I can post this.

So I have a sub and amp in my car, in which I have a problem with whenever the sub is turned up, or the bass drops, on a song the lights on the amp dim and the sub distorts when it is only at like 30% bass in which I have no idea, the earthing is good that I know of.

I don't know if it is the car battery CCA rating is not high enough for the sub and amp or if it is the wiring to them which isn't big enough.

Any suggestions?

Sub & Amp I have;

Quick Note I cannot find the amperage these 2 things use each so I don't know how many amps it is pushing to power them.

Sub: https://www.bossaudio.com/product/car-audio-sound-system-auto-stereo-dual-voice-coil-subwoofer-boss-audio-p129dc/

Amp: https://www.bossaudio.com/?post_type=product&p=15764&preview=true&from=search

One more thing is that I turned it up to the point of it distorting and the in-car lights were not dimming, only the amp lights dimming and the sub distorting.

Run at least 4gauge power and earth from your battery to your amp, the earth isn't necessary if you do the next 2 things, but I would still do it anyway. 1.Ground your amp to the nearest car chassis ground point with 4 gauge. 2.You should also upgrade the ground wire on your battery to the chassis in the engine bay with 4 gauge.

Let us know how you go  

Ok so I dabbled a bit into car audio when I was trying to get the setup going in my car. From what I know this would require a 2 AWG wire and likely a 150A fuse minimum for the power wire. Obviously the thicker(lower AWG number) the power wire the better. You also want to make sure your ground wire is as short as possible, it can be of a slightly lighter gauge but it must be securely attached to a solid metal piece of the vehicle. This means no self tapping sheet metal screws, drill a hole and use a nut and bolt and make sure the surface is fully clear of paint. Your sub is a 1300W 4ohm DVC which can be wired to 2ohms and your amp lists 1875W RMS at 2 ohms this means your amp should be able to sufficiently power the sub and you just have to set your gains to match the sub. You can do this with a simple multi-meter, this video has your basic overview of how to do it: 

Ideally you would have access to an oscilloscope to check for clipping but not everyone has easy access to those.

I'm no pro but this is what I came across when I was doing my own thing, hopefully this helps even though it's just some of the basics. I spent a lot of time watching car audio videos and there's a whole lot more to it.

More links in my profile! Builds: Project(Main Rig): Cosmos Sv2 -- 2nd PC: Old School AMD -- Project: HD4890 Revival,

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ Specs Below ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Cosmos Sv2:

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.1ghz
  • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000
  • GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Turbo
  • Case: Modded Cosmos S (Cosmos Sv2)
  • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME, WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe, 2x WD Red 2TB raid 1, 150GB Toshiba 2.5"
  • PSU: Corsair HX850
  • Display(s): Samsung LC32JG50QQNZA 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz, LG 29UM58-P 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz
  • Cooling: Custom Loop
  • Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum
  • Mouse: Corsair Dark Core
  • Sound: Oboard with Logitech something or other 5.1 speakers and HyperX Headset
  • PC Part Picker URL: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/NotSoEpicMods/saved/LYysZL

Old School AMD:

• CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
  • Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev1.0
  • RAM: 16GB Patriot Sector 5
  • GPU: XFX HD 7950
  • Case: Cougar MX330-G Glass Window
  • Storage: 2x HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 
  • PSU: Corsair 650W
  • Display(s): Samsung 32"
  • Cooling: Hyper 212+
  • Keyboard: Logitech G110
  • Mouse: Logitech M100