Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LOLZR

FreeNAS 9.1.2.1 Install on Very Old Machine

Posted · Original PosterOP

I bought a HP Proliant DL380 (Gen3 I believe) for basically nothing because I just wanted to dip my toes into having a NAS in the house.  I am trying to install FreeNAS 9.1.2.1 as that is the last FreeNAS that supported 32-bit OS.. and I am getting stuck during install at the line "uhub0: <0x1166 OHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbus0"

I found this link that had me disable USB in the BIOS - which got me further into the install, but then I got stuck in mountroot> when it wants me to enter something and I can't because my USB keyboard won't work.

I was wondering if anyone had experienced this and if they had a resolution.

Thank you!

I'm not sure but this maybe the same issue (scroll to bottom few posts):
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/solved-problem-after-upgrading-how-to-disable-usb.45026/

if thats not it then, i'm sorry that this won't be much help but for background info, FreeNas is based off freebsd.
I found an article from 2013 strongly suggesting that freebsd had significant issues running on the dl380 g3
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2013-January/248544.html

Wish you the best of luck in this Project.

Regards,
Robin

Thank you very much for your reply - any suggestions for alternatives to FreeNAS if that is known to cause problems?

Thanks!

The G3 still has PS/2 ports, try a PS/2 keyboard or get an adapter to use a USB keyboard over PS/2.

I'd just install a 32-bit Linux server (like Ubuntu server) and put SAMBA on it, though. Easy enough.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X MSI X370 Gaming Plus 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 - GTX1070Ti FE 600p 256GB & M550 512GB & 860 Evo 500GB Fractal Define R5 CM V550 W8.1 Pro

3 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

The G3 still has PS/2 ports, try a PS/2 keyboard or get an adapter to use a USB keyboard over PS/2.

I'd just install a 32-bit Linux server (like Ubuntu server) and put SAMBA on it, though. Easy enough.

I couldn't get multiple keyboards to work over an adapter (PS/2 to USB) :(

I will try Ubuntu server, it's probably better for a noobie anyways.

23 hours ago, LOLZR said:

I couldn't get multiple keyboards to work over an adapter (PS/2 to USB) :(

I will try Ubuntu server, it's probably better for a noobie anyways.

It'll require more command line work to get it right, but it's not that difficult considering all the guides out there.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X MSI X370 Gaming Plus 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 - GTX1070Ti FE 600p 256GB & M550 512GB & 860 Evo 500GB Fractal Define R5 CM V550 W8.1 Pro