BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Only problem for me being each server did just a couple jobs as you described but then just stopped receiving work.

Things worked during different OS testing but now only 2/16 VMs have jobs. The rest, sitting idle.

Have your dumped WUs during testing? 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Only problem for me being each server did just a couple jobs as you described but then just stopped receiving work.

Things worked during different OS testing but now only 2/16 VMs have jobs. The rest, sitting idle.

What does the logs say? ZIKA has petty good log information compared to the other projects. From memory I had to increase the timer for checking for jobs etc in the BOINC client, ZIKA puts you on a timeout if you check in too frequently or too soon after another one.

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

Have your dumped WUs during testing? 

Nope. I made sure to let all those VMs finish their work before deleting the VM to prevent the issue leadeater & you ran into.

I set every VM to request 0.3+0.2 days of work. Lets see if it helps.

4.5/16 VM's have jobs (0.5 because one of them has a whole 4 WU's. I think that's WCG's way of testing the client before sending more work.)

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

What does the logs say? ZIKA has petty good log information compared to the other projects. From memory I had to increase the timer for checking for jobs etc in the BOINC client, ZIKA puts you on a timeout if you check in too frequently or too soon after another one.

Don't think the data here is very helpful in this instance.

Requesting new tasks for CPU

Scheduler request completed: got 0 new tasks

Not sending work - last request too recent: 30 sec

Previously I have let this go over-night and not received work so I have no idea what the actual problem is.

31 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Did the event log show anything?

That will sometimes state what the project servers are telling it for why new WUs are not given.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

15 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Not sending work - last request too recent: 30 sec

Yea you're on a timeout, asking for jobs too often.

Edit:

image.png.4e26a4dd50678fca1d4ea6c33bd3d62f.png

I think the default for this is 60 seconds? Try increasing this and have it staggered across your VMs so they don't do it at the same time.

29 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Edit:

I think the default for this is 60 seconds? Try increasing this and have it staggered across your VMs so they don't do it at the same time.

I staggered them 120/180 alternating. I can make it more complicated if this doesn't work like 120/180/240/300/etc. Each job takes >1hr so I wouldn't run out doing it that way if necessary.

7/16 now have jobs.

I think we made good progress. All but 1 are now complaining that there's just no work to be done. So, I just added the optional projects on the WCG website. I'll give it a while and see if they all get work.

Unrelated, my desktop is continuing to die a slow painful death :D I can no longer boot into Windows for more than ~30mins without the system behaving very irregularly and then quickly become non-responsive followed by a BSOD. I don't have the money to rebuild it right now so I split the volume and installed Ubuntu 19.04. Why is it that Linux seems to handle unstable systems so much better? I've only had one hiccup so far today (on Linux) and it wasn't a complete crash.

On 5/27/2019 at 12:55 PM, leadeater said:

Edit:

Is staggering the checkpointing a performance tip or did I misread the description is it somehow related to requesting tasks?

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

1 hour ago, Gorgon said:

Is staggering the checkpointing a performance tip or did I misread the description is it somehow related to requesting tasks?

No idea, it just seemed to help out with WCG ZIKA as that project is pretty strict about how often you ask for jobs

On 5/25/2019 at 9:07 AM, RollinLower said:

any updates on this?

GUYS!

Colonel mortis has just gotten back to me.

Thanks to my message they will be looking for new community leaders for the distributed computing teams sometime in the next few days. They will be posting in the subforum and asking for your guys input on who should be appointed.

So I would like to announce my campaign... Jk jk.

But make sure to keep your eye out for the post.

Happy crunching,

Ben.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Well, not setup testing yet on my 2nd rig (1900X).  But, getting some numbers on my 1950X that runs under W10 (build 14393) which is the main rig.

NFS sure loves to eat up my RAM.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

23 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

GUYS!

Colonel mortis has just gotten back to me.

Thanks to my message they will be looking for new community leaders for the distributed computing teams sometime in the next few days. They will be posting in the subforum and asking for your guys input on who should be appointed.

So I would like to announce my campaign... Jk jk.

But make sure to keep your eye out for the post.

Happy crunching,

Ben.

source.gif

He should pick by F@H points.

I nominate @Ben Quigley

If by points, im in 20 something place.... so no for me.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I nominate @Ben Quigley

The nomination is appreciated.

Only for the folding opening though.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I nominate @Ben Quigley

+1

Spoiler

(I was joking about the by points thing since Whaler retired so technically I'm the most points)

12 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

you seem like the obvious choice, since you're basically at the front of every distributed computing event here.

Guys!!!

Summer folding sprint is now ready for you to sign up!!!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 5/31/2019 at 2:53 PM, Ben Quigley said:

Yeah, +1 for you on the F@H side.

Has the team done a Lessons Learnt exercise to close out the event?

I think it's important we captured what worked and what didn't while the knowledge is still fresh for next year.

Though I jumped in late my biggest challenge was getting the accounts set up and co ordinated with BOINCstats. Next I would say was getting the profiles working properly to not kill my daily driver and to balance resources across projects.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

• 1 month later...

I decided to do some more testing with virtual machines for bunkering purposes and it seems that there is some substantial overhead caused by Hyper-V/PROXMOX virtualization because after running BOINC natively for a few days my Project average work done skyrocketed from a little under 5,000 to just over 10,000. Then on the BOINCstats website my daily productivity stats went from 4809/day to 12,500~14,500/day so virtualization cuts performance in more than half.

I did find a workaround. On Linux anyways. The use of Containers. These containers run instances of an OS off the host kernel itself effectively operating natively. Not in a VM. The downside is that these containers only support CLI but BOINC has a nice feature that let me work around this and it's something leadeater might like to implement next time around.

For as much research as I did I could not find any data indicating that it'd be possible to run Linux containers on Windows Server. Docker didn't mention it, Hyper-V process isolation didn't mention it, I could not find it anywhere. If anybody knows a way to pull this off let me know.

For the process below I used a Debian distro.

So first there's the matter of installing BOINC:

apt-get install boinc-client

Start the service:

etc/init.d/boinc-client start

BOINC will automatically start each time you restart the container/server

So a feature I found that BOINC supports is remote control of a BOINC instance on a different system. (File -> New BOINC Manager window...). This feature cannot be used unless you edit the remote_hosts.cfg file on the server with any of these:

vi /var/lib/boinc/remote_hosts.cfg
nano /var/lib/boinc/remote_hosts.cfg
echo "IP of Host Controller" >> /var/lib/boinc/remote_hosts.cfg

I should note that everything is going to need a static IP for this to work. Also the BOINC controller has to be running the same/similar OS as the CLI servers. You can't have BOINC manager running on Windows with Linux CLI BOINC nodes.

Setting static IP's on the CLI Nodes can be done by editing your network file. They vary dependent on your specific distro but you should be able to find and edit it with either of:

vi /etc/netplan/*.yaml
nano /etc/netplan/*.yaml

Here is an example of how the file should look when you're done editing:

network:
        version: 2
        renderer: networkd
        ethernets:
                enp0s3:
                    dhcp4: no
                    addresses: [192.168.0.250/24]
                    gateway4: 192.168.0.1
                    nameservers:
                       addresses: [1.1.1.1,8.8.8.8]

Save/exit.

Now test the file to make sure you did it correctly:

netplan try

If the file tests good it will ask if you want to apply it. Hit enter.

Now when you remote in from the BOINC GUI computer (or VM) they will always have the same IP. The BOINC controller/GUI needs to have a static IP too as it's set in the remote_hosts.cfg files on each BOINC Node.

So now you can control a full stack of BOINC containers/VMs/or physical servers from one BOINC GUI. I found using containers on Linux yielded greater performance than using VMs on Linux so it does appear to be particularly beneficial and theoretically it should have almost if not identical to native performance. I think this would be the best option for bunkering. Forget VMs if you can install something like PROXMOX on your server/desktop during the next Pentathlon.