BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

Just now, leadeater said:

Yea it's these and the lower end LGA2011 I was meaning, when your dual socket system has 12/16 cores and TR has that or 24/32 with higher clocks it takes the shine off that lovely server. Still a lot of other niceties about a proper server platform but you can do a heck of a lot with Ryzen used or new, even in a rackmount chassis.

Then we get into the price though. TR2 is still up to $1700USD in cost while like the server you suggested to me I could get that, four 4XXX series 2011 CPUs, and like sixteen 16GB sticks of RAM for about $800USD.

Per core performance would be much lower and it's older but you still can't beat that price/performance (based on use case).

If AMD ever gets that cheap with TR2 and allows for the use of >1TB of RAM then yeah the value in used Xeon servers would be pretty much gone. Relatively you could look into their EYPC line-up instead of TR where they do support 2SKU and a lot more RAM. Once the EPYC chips fall into the used market depending on what the server needs to do that'll also steal some of the old Xeons value.

But until then you can't beat paying $50 for a 8C/16T CPU that was worth >$3,000 at launch.

8 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Relatively you could look into their EYPC line-up instead of TR where they do support 2SKU and a lot more RAM. Once the EPYC chips fall into the used market depending on what the server needs to do that'll also steal some of the old Xeons value.

Used EPYC is going to be great when the becomes a thing ?

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Used EPYC is going to be great when the becomes a thing ?

Yeah a quick search on eBay says they're still expensive :/ 

I wouldn't mind owning a dual socket EYPC server just for the sake of being on both teams.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I'm not interested personally, need to get back folding! 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

LTT (#9) weren’t all that far away. Here, they bet on the last three attempts and thus managed to stay under the rivals’ radar for quite some time. Really very clever and clever will be rewarded.

https://www.seti-germany.de/forum/content/1067-BOINC-Pentathlon-2019-Day-14

Yes, it was totally planned and wasn't disorganization combined with not realizing how well we could have actually done on that event. Same can be said of LHC too, had no idea how much better ATLAS was.

25 minutes ago, leadeater said:

https://www.seti-germany.de/forum/content/1067-BOINC-Pentathlon-2019-Day-14

Yes, it was totally planned and wasn't disorganization combined with not realizing how well we could have actually done on that event. Same can be said of LHC too, had no idea how much better ATLAS was.

The means aren't all that important as long as you get the end you want.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

The means aren't all that important as long as you get the end you want.

Sadly unless my 4am brain is wrong it's not enough, I think it's an 18 point swing and we need 22 to cliam 9th overall.

Edit:

Not to mention I thought you were replying to my other post, going to sleep ?‍♂️

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Sadly unless my 4am brain is wrong it's not enough, I think it's an 18 point swing and we need 22 to cliam 9th overall.

I'll be happy with 10th overall for our second participation

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

If nothing we do from now is likely to change our position I'll start winding down then... very warm again with the extra boxes I activated.

Edit: the single LHC Atlas task I attempted never finished "VM unmanagable" whatever that means... it's still in the list but guess I might as well abort now.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

If nothing we do from now is likely to change our position I'll start winding down then... very warm again with the extra boxes I activated.

Edit: the single LHC Atlas task I attempted never finished "VM unmanagable" whatever that means... it's still in the list but guess I might as well abort now.

I'm just concerned a good bunker or two and we could lose out on the marathon.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I'm just concerned a good bunker or two and we could lose out on the marathon.

I'm shutting down some of the hotter systems, which even with NNW will take some hours anyway. The rest can continue overnight.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

21 minutes ago, porina said:

I'm shutting down some of the hotter systems, which even with NNW will take some hours anyway. The rest can continue overnight.

Sounds good, I will probably shut down the bulldozer system soon

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

15 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

how much work do we have left? just WCG untill 12AM UTC right?

Correct

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

-7 compared to last year then. That's a great improvement. I may look into acquiring more servers in the future. I don't think my current residence could handle running them all full tilt though so we'll see how things play out. Maybe I'll get drastic and shove one or two in my shed, just run Ethernet & power out there.

17 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

-7 compared to last year then. That's a great improvement. I may look into acquiring more servers in the future. I don't think my current residence could handle running them all full tilt though so we'll see how things play out. Maybe I'll get drastic and shove one or two in my shed, just run Ethernet & power out there.

Just like Mr @porina

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

AMD may have leveled the playing field in that regard but I still haven't seen them designing their RYZEN or TR chips to support multiple sockets and when density is important you still can't beat the price/density of a used dual or quad socket Intel server. Of course that depends on your use case.

What I'm surprised about is people are still recycling X5000 series servers for gaming PC's. They'd get more out of RYZEN.

I'm seeing more folks nabbing Xeon E5-1XXX series chips now.  Since folks found out a way to OC those on the x79 and x99 platform (....ain't kidding, some folks are hitting into the 4.4GHz to 4.8GHz with those).

Though....I really hope AMD has some news on the next TRs at Computex.  But, them dropping those off the roadmap did not leave a good feeling in me.  :I  I held off going from my 1950X up to a 2950X or higher as I plan to jump to the next release.  Plus, next year I be on a very, very nice paying deployment, I will have cash to burn late next year for some nice upgrades for my rigs.

7 hours ago, leadeater said:

Will have to do much better at recruiting next year, I highly doubt I will be able to squirrel away a similar amount of hardware again. I'd be happy to put up a contribution towards prizes, prizes that get better the higher the team ranks i.e. outside top 10 best prize is free game, inside top 10 free CPU/GPU, inside top 10 I'll ship out a server (or something).

Nothing quite gets people moving like free stuff ?

Yep, I plan to try to do a few art pieces for next year prizes.

On 5/17/2019 at 11:06 AM, Ben Quigley said:

How efficient of you! I like it!

I run my CPUs in the 90s with thermal throttling disabled, both my main GPUs are on water so it isn't so bad. 

P.S. I do NOT recommend anyone else to do this, it will reduce the lifespan of your chips, but seeing as I upgrade on a regular basis(every 2-3 years) it doesn't bother me much. 

90C??  Darn, that is toasty.

My 1950X is just cruising with a Noctua air cooler at around 68C with its stock clocks.  I won't dare to OC it on air.  After reading and seeing what one chap is doing BOINC wise with their 1950X.  Yeah, I'm going to water block the chip when I plan to OC it.  Was nuts how much that individual's TR system was pulling from the wall with just the CPU loaded crunching BOINC.

Also, great job everyone on the Javelin event.  ?

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Did the WCG server point a gun at my server saying "No! not **** off" or something?
image.png.dd715ef1ea3b584b3a8e6c77fddb7011.png

My server also issues a authentication error again, got it fixed... Again... Hopefully it uploads and get's the points out before the end.

58 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

My 1950X is just cruising with a Noctua air cooler at around 68C with its stock clocks.  I won't dare to OC it on air.  After reading and seeing what one chap is doing BOINC wise with their 1950X.  Yeah, I'm going to water block the chip when I plan to OC it.  Was nuts how much that individual's TR system was pulling from the wall with just the CPU loaded crunching BOINC.

Im glad i got a hyper 212 on sale for my ryzen 1600 mid way through this event.  It is actually running cooler with 3.8 overclock at 68* vs 72* stock clocks and cooler.

Well guys, it's a wrap for this year!!!

Congratulations!

Thank you everyone who joined in and earned tenth place for team LTT!

Hope to see you all around next year :)

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

It truly is over:

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined method DateTime::modifiy() in /var/www/boinc_pentathlon/start.php:46 Stack trace: #0 {main} thrown in /var/www/boinc_pentathlon/start.php on line 46

Now that's sloppy coding...

On 5/9/2019 at 3:51 PM, Windows7ge said:

I'm more of a whiskey man. Speaking of I need to buy another bottle.

Time for our whiskeys? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240