BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

2 hours ago, porina said:

Roughly 2/3 of my LHC work is validated now. Having some difficulty getting NFS work though. One system grabbed some no problem. Ok, I'll turn on another one now it is getting cooler, and I'm not getting sent work on that. More WCG then.

Also got careless last night, put one system onto numberfields instead of NFS, they're next to each other. Wasn't that one of last year's projects?

Yes it was the marathon last year

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

We've hit 10th overall, let's see if we can maintain this, need another 300-400k on javelin to hit our targets.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

All my home systems are set to NFS, dunno if they're successfully getting work though.

This is the last Javelin day right? So we only need to pass our previous 2nd highest day to bag possible points. Much beyond that is wasteful. That's if I understand correctly and points are awarded on 3rd best day.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

All my home systems are set to NFS, dunno if they're successfully getting work though.

This is the last Javelin day right? So we only need to pass our previous 2nd highest day to bag possible points. Much beyond that is wasteful. That's if I understand correctly and points are awarded on 3rd best day.

Correct, it's the median score that is taken. So we need to get 1.1-1.2m points

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

15 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

We can hit that not problem ?

Darn it, pulled out my super last resort break glass in case of emergency server and it's not picking up any NFS tasks.

Edit:

Nice, working now. Add a 2x E5-2680v4 server to NFS production.

30 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Nice, AF can't beat us (in Javelin) if we match our 2nd best again ?

image.thumb.png.3ac67d7898e39a12cad9db11fe11f1b8.png

We only need about 962k points. that will secure 9th place, and since Rechenkraft in 8th only needs about 94k to secure 8th from us, there is no point shooting for that. We need to divert to holding our spot in Sprint and see if we can take a spot or 2 in Marathon.

I might as well switch back to WCG then? It wont be instant, I can't issue the command for another 6 hours or so, then there's ongoing units and cache to clear or abort.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, miker07 said:

We only need about 962k points. that will secure 9th place, and since Rechenkraft in 8th only needs about 94k to secure 8th from us, there is no point shooting for that. We need to divert to holding our spot in Sprint and see if we can take a spot or 2 in Marathon.

I don't think OCN is doing this throw at all so we only need 811,689+, if we think RKN is going to surpass 1,185,142 this throw then stopping just above that 812k might actually be better?

3 minutes ago, porina said:

I might as well switch back to WCG then? It wont be instant, I can't issue the command for another 6 hours or so, then there's ongoing units and cache to clear or abort.

Maybe just no more tasks NFS, abort any not started and resume WCG then it'll slowly switch over.

812k may be enough, since it doesn't appear OCN is shooting to better their score today, but 962k would guarantee 9th for us, just in case they are bunkering. With where we are and with the tasks that are in progress, hitting 962k probably wouldn't take much more time. We don't need anymore spots in Marathon to hold 10th overall, but since it is reachable may as well go for it, as long as we don't sacrifice a spot in Sprint.

1 minute ago, miker07 said:

We don't need anymore spots in Marathon to hold 10th overall, but since it is reachable may as well go for it, as long as we don't sacrifice a spot in Sprint.

Personally I'm not prepared to do LHC on anything but my 2 Windows servers that have vbox on them, the rest will just have to do WCG. I could look at getting vbox working on my ubuntu servers but honestly I think it's a tad late to do that, should have been something I did from the start. I just honestly had no idea how bad sixtrack was going to be.

Boinc has given me the authentication error again... But this time it had nothing running so I turned off the server just before I left, I'll get it back on when I get back from work. Event ends in about 2 days correct?

Just now, Egg-Roll said:

Boinc has given me the authentication error again... But this time it had nothing running so I turned off the server just before I left, I'll get it back on when I get back from work. Event ends in about 2 days correct?

36 hours 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Egg-Roll said:

36 hours

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

36 hours

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

36 hours 

Thanks ?

I'll prob end up reinstalling Ubuntu after this event just to make sure no more issues arise.

There's a countdown on the Pentathlon page too:

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

Oh nice, push NFS a little more and we should take 10th overall

Edit:

image.png.dfc628c100e5a2d67d6c104a9d22e19c.png

We closed the gap. Whoo!

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

We closed the gap. Whoo!

Another 2 hours max and we can stop NFS and make a big push at WCG and LHC.

40 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

We closed the gap. Whoo!

image.png.67e2e3b766d1f2f01487c05ef85fc559.pngOverall we are 10th right now. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

37 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Another 2 hours max and we can stop NFS and make a big push at WCG and LHC.

I'd say you can stop  anytime now, we are not able to do any better than this looking at the other teams. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

14 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I'd say you can stop  anytime now, we are not able to do any better than this looking at the other teams. 

Going to stop at the 962k mark since OCN last bunker drop was over 1 mil and if they do that again their 961k score is the mark to beat.

20 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Actually no you're right, we would have hit that target by now.