BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

48 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Ill have to set my calendar so I don't forget But.. count me in @Ithanul @Ben Quigley

Nice!!!!

Welcome to the team, don't forget to follow this thread so you can keep up to date! 

Also take a look at the bunkering techniques @Ithanul posted on the first post if you have time.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

49 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Nice!!!!

Welcome to the team, don't forget to follow this thread so you can keep up to date! 

Also take a look at the bunkering techniques @Ithanul posted on the first post if you have time.

Still somewhat at the beginner level for BOINC so yeah I'll get to it when I can so I can properly contribute.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

16 minutes ago, ObscureMammal said:

I'll contribute what I can

Good to have you on board!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 4/26/2019 at 7:34 AM, BananaInSandals said:

Noob here so apologies if what I'm saying sounds really dumb. 

Is it possible to run this on a Raspberry Pi 3b+ (or even a Zero WH)? I only have a laptop (poorly built one imo by HP with 7700HQ and 1050 hitting 90+C when at full load and whiny fans) and it's summer here with 30C. Definitely don't want to use my laptop as a frying pan atm but still want to contribute. :) Have a 3b+ and two Zero WH sitting around after my uni project so thinking of using them instead if it's possible. Thx

I would have to double check, but I think there are some BOINC projects that run on the Raspberry Pis.  If any projects during the Pent will be such, that is the other deal I will have to look into.

On 4/27/2019 at 4:42 AM, Mattias Edeslatt said:

But am I wrong when I say that there are almost none (if any, that are active) projects that are able to compute on AMD GPU:s?

Last I check, there are still some projects that run on AMD GPUs (I have to double check though).  The Pent is only going to have one project that will be GPU.

On 4/28/2019 at 5:13 AM, Spotty said:

Haven't used BOINC before but I might look in to setting this up and see if my 1080Ti can contribute. Weather here is finally starting to cool down so I was looking at starting up F@H again anyway. For the CPU projects I'm not sure how much my ageing i7 6700k can contribute though these days with all these 8c/16t becoming so common, but every bit helps I guess. *cries in 2015 gaming rig*

I run my old butt i3 in my lappy along with all my other hardware during the Pent.  So, that 6700K should still be able to help out.  I even back in previous Pents ran small WUs on my old Nexus 7 tablet.

On 4/28/2019 at 7:36 AM, porina said:

Starting to run some test units of various projects on the same Haswell 2.3 GHz. Cosmology unit estimating 17 hours. LHC doesn't have sixtrack CPU units, which are the only ones not requiring virtualbox which I don't install. The response from server suggests there might be GPU work but its listed as CPU project for pentahlon.

???  I get some sixtrack units from LHC at times on my 1950X.  They are not common though.  It mostly gets the monster ATLAS VM ones.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

3 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Last I check, there are still some projects that run on AMD GPUs (I have to double check though).  The Pent is only going to have one project that will be GPU.

PRIMEgrid has AMD specific WUs, and damn did my Vega used to crush them.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

8 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Ah yeah, Primegrid.  I recall seeing some there.

By the looks, the projects, that where up for vote on GPU for the Pent, have work units for AMD GPUs.  Though, this info is off a wiki.  Not sure how up-to-date that is.  Also, more info about ATI/AMD:  https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/ATI_Radeon

Capture.PNG.f8b4adf54de3d2567b847facdffd932c.PNG

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

8 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

There are three families of project on primegrid that use GPU: AP27, PPS-sieve, and GFN family. I think it was some of the GFN family where some AMD GPUs did well in in distant past as they still had some FP64 performance that was required. Software as moved on since then and even FP32 as supported by everything at a high rate now can be used to good effect on both sides. Software will pick the best code for the hardware used.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, porina said:

There are three families of project on primegrid that use GPU: AP27, PPS-sieve, and GFN family. I think it was some of the GFN family where some AMD GPUs did well in in distant past as they still had some FP64 performance that was required. Software as moved on since then and even FP32 as supported by everything at a high rate now can be used to good effect on both sides. Software will pick the best code for the hardware used.

That's handy info to know.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Anyone any idea why OpenZIKA is only running one WU at a time? 

Only taking 20% of my CPU.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

image.thumb.png.4ef9490ad3c0d0bb502d29fd0037e9d0.png

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

33 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Argh running out of time, I may actually end up missing this. Haven't even started setting up the servers and work isn't exactly quiet enough.

1 hour ago, Ben Quigley said:

Check boinc event log for more clues.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

Check boinc event log for more clues.

I've got it sorted, it seems I needed to submit a WU first before they would send a bunch out 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

@Ithanul

Do we not have a team for WCG? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, Ben Quigley said:

It exists and I joined it... can't link to it as their website is horrible.

4 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

@Ithanul

Team Information
  Name: LinusTechTips_Team
  Created: 01/27/2013
  Captain: Liquidus Plumbing
  Type: Unclassified
  Description:  
  Team Home Page: Click Here To Visit Team Home Page
  BOINC Team Id: 29810
Statistics Last Updated: 4/29/19 23:59:59 (UTC) [16 hour(s) ago]

Totals:  
  Current Members 341 (#114)
  Retired Members 45
  All-Time Members 386
  Total Run Time (y:d:h:m:s) (Rank) 772:341:05:25:55 (#177)
  Points Generated (Rank) 1,251,289,261 (#145)
  Results Returned (Rank) 2,253,441 (#159)

44 minutes ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Thanks,

Got it all sorted now :)

For some reason BAM! wouldn't find it.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I'm in. I think. I'm crunching OpenZika but how do I actually get on the LTT team? Right now I think I'm just bunkering solo.

@Ben Quigley @Ithanul

2 servers up and running so far, not sure how to limit network bandwidth via cli only usage yet, maybe if I can get a boinc manager to connect to them I can do it using that???

Time to spin some more up, worst comes to worst they'll be contributing points but no bunker boost.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Time to spin some more up, worst comes to worst they'll be contributing points but no bunker boost.

I'm not going to manage bunkering so you wont be alone if you go that route. I'll aim to produce a good baseline of production for whatever is current in the event.

Given this is a public area, if people do want to use coordinated bunkering strategies especially on the shorter stages, probably best to take that private.

Just now, porina said:

Given this is a public area, if people do want to use coordinated bunkering strategies especially on the shorter stages, probably best to take that private.

Wasn't really going to do anything other than queue for the start of the marathon then let them commit, far too lazy for anything else and even that is pushing it lol

39 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Wasn't really going to do anything other than queue for the start of the marathon then let them commit, far too lazy for anything else and even that is pushing it lol

Wasn't directed specifically at you, but for others to consider if necessary.

My attention span is limited to switching to a short duration project as needed. Pretty much everything is ready to go, apart from possibly attaching projects on systems that haven't run it before.