BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

5 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Maybe this will hep?

I don't know much about VMs, docker or unRAID tbh.

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/BoincDocker

image.png.9ffa81168946835a291c36d040a3ed24.png

it exists in the community applications docker store thing

cTurtle98 - Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: i7 7700k

COOLER: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 Extreme S
MOBO: Asrock z270 killer sli/ac

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200

SSD 1: Intel - 600p Series 1TB M.2-2280 (Windows)

SSD 2: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME (POP_OS)

GPU: MSI - GTX 1070

PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Fully-Modular

CASE: Thermaltake - Versa H26

cTurtle98 - Portable PC

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600

COOLER: NH-L9a-AM4

MOBO: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair - Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

SSD 1: Intel - 600p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 (Windows)

SSD 2: 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" (Manjaro)

SSD 3: PNY - CS1311 120 GB 2.5" (POP_OS)

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB MINI ITX OC

PSU: HDPLEX 400 AC-DC DC-ATX Combo

CASE: NFC Skyreach 4 mini

If I still had my PC at work I would offer it up.

But I need the power to create a massive sketchup project 

Maybe next year 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

I'll make sure I make myself available and ready for this event.
I alternate between F@H and BOINC so I'll fold now and BOINC when this event starts.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

I will be in on the Marathon, as I don't want to create account for projects that I otherwise not running. But I am running WCG and setting it to one special project for the event I can do....

But am I wrong when I say that there are almost none (if any, that are active) projects that are able to compute on AMD GPU:s?

Have both a Vega 64 and a 1060 in my main rig and have the 1060 active in F@H because I haven't found a way in Linux to get F@H running both cards at the same time, even if all the compute-drivers are installed for both types of cards. 

On 4/25/2019 at 2:02 AM, Ithanul said:

Also, don't expect that water cooling kit to help.  Back when I had a 5960X at 4.6GHz and two GTX980Tis at 1540MHz during one Pent.  I still had some nutty sauna level heat going on (yes, I was sweating if I was sitting near that rig).

Well, the thermal energy is the same on air or water, so the total amount of heat-output in the room is the same. Water is just a mean to transfer the heat transfer from the CPU/GPU to preferably an outlet in the case or to rads outside of the case to move the heat away to have a cooler environment for the hardware.

Only way to get lower temps in the room is to move the radiators outside of the room as a whole, i.e. whole room watercooling ?

11 minutes ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

I will be in on the Marathon, as I don't want to create account for projects that I otherwise not running. But I am running WCG and setting it to one special project for the event I can do....

But am I wrong when I say that there are almost none (if any, that are active) projects that are able to compute on AMD GPU:s?

Have both a Vega 64 and a 1060 in my main rig and have the 1060 active in F@H because I haven't found a way in Linux to get F@H running both cards at the same time, even if all the compute-drivers are installed for both types of cards. 

Setup an VM with GPU access? 2 cores and a vega 64 would do fine 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

8 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Setup an VM with GPU access? 2 cores and a vega 64 would do fine 

Hmm.... that might be an option. Never thought of that... ?

2 minutes ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Hmm.... that might be an option. Never thought of that... ?

Have you seen any different between 'game ready' and 'creator ready' drivers(or the AMD equivalents)? 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Have you seen any different between 'game ready' and 'creator ready' drivers(or the AMD equivalents)? 

Nope, as I run Linux there are no such thing.

Just now, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Nope, as I run Linux there are no such thing.

Fair enough, thanks anyway!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

BTW everyone, don't forget to follow this thread if you are involved so we can keep you up to date with all the ideas. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 4/24/2019 at 1:11 AM, James said:

so... do I have to do anything other than start the folding client on day 1 and leave it running?

On 4/24/2019 at 1:28 AM, Ben Quigley said:

It is slightly more in-depth, you will have to sign up for the projects you wish to participate in and run then at the times given. If you are unsure it's best to just do the marathon as this will help us have a baseload throughout the event. 

Just to double check, I have a WCG account and have since the beginning had my account set to the LTT-team. There are no other registration, sign-up or setting/set-up I need to do to compete in the 14-day Marathon for LTT and ITNOS Power ?? No more action to take than set the client to the selected project for WCG to harvest WU in time for the event to start the of May 5?

As it is now I fold/crunch all available projects for WCG as they are all more than worthy of my spare CPU-cycles ?

On 4/25/2019 at 10:14 AM, Ben Quigley said:

@leadeater do you think you can get done more mods involved, Jake is planning to throw his workstation on the marathon.

Haven't used BOINC before but I might look in to setting this up and see if my 1080Ti can contribute. Weather here is finally starting to cool down so I was looking at starting up F@H again anyway. For the CPU projects I'm not sure how much my ageing i7 6700k can contribute though these days with all these 8c/16t becoming so common, but every bit helps I guess. *cries in 2015 gaming rig*
I'm sure @TVwazhere is already on board with ITNOS, but he's a mod now so there's another forum mod helping for you :P

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

13 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Haven't used BOINC before but I might look in to setting this up and see if my 1080Ti can contribute. Weather here is finally starting to cool down so I was looking at starting up F@H again anyway. For the CPU projects I'm not sure how much my ageing i7 6700k can contribute though these days with all these 8c/16t becoming so common, but every bit helps I guess. *cries in 2015 gaming rig*
I'm sure @TVwazhere is already on board with ITNOS, but he's a mod now so there's another forum mod helping for you :P

Leadeater is onboard too? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I have many but "old" cores to the fight with me, 2x Xeon 2670 V1, 16C/32T @3.3 GHz, but they are chugging away nice loving to eat those proteins for breakfast, lunch and dinner.... ? ?️ ? 

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

For the CPU projects I'm not sure how much my ageing i7 6700k can contribute though these days with all these 8c/16t becoming so common, but every bit helps I guess. *cries in 2015 gaming rig*

One of the nice features of distributed computing is that all cores can contribute. I've found in the past multiple fewer core systems gives better throughput than fewer high end systems, for the amount spent. If you have other systems on hand maybe throw them on too?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, porina said:

One of the nice features of distributed computing is that all cores can contribute. I've found in the past multiple fewer core systems gives better throughput than fewer high end systems, for the amount spent. If you have other systems on hand maybe throw them on too?

Yes!

I will be throwing 24 ryzen threads, 4 bulldozer threads and 8 low power intel threads at the CPU projects myself.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I will be throwing 24 ryzen threads, 4 bulldozer threads and 8 low power intel threads at the CPU projects myself.

On the limited time stages be careful with HT/SMT. While they can increase throughput it also increases the time per unit and you don't want to miss out by reporting late. Depending on how long the units are and the stage length, some juggling might be worth doing to optimise completion in time or switch early to others so we gain maximum overall output.

For example, while we don't know the projects yet, the WCG Help Stop TB subprojecct is taking around 16 hours without HT on Haswell 2.3 GHz. I really hope we don't get that! If unit times were say an hour or two, then the loss is probably insignificant.

Or I might just be over-thinking as usual...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

On the limited time stages be careful with HT/SMT. While they can increase throughput it also increases the time per unit and you don't want to miss out by reporting late. Depending on how long the units are and the stage length, some juggling might be worth doing to optimise completion in time or switch early to others so we gain maximum overall output.

For example, while we don't know the projects yet, the WCG Help Stop TB subprojecct is taking around 16 hours without HT on Haswell 2.3 GHz. I really hope we don't get that! If unit times were say an hour or two, then the loss is probably insignificant.

Or I might just be over-thinking as usual...

Nothing wrong with overthinking, 

Yeah I had thought of that, I think we will be concentrating on 3 of the 5 things tbh, marathon is a given, after that... no idea, I think we should sack of the javelin personally. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Starting to run some test units of various projects on the same Haswell 2.3 GHz. Cosmology unit estimating 17 hours. LHC doesn't have sixtrack CPU units, which are the only ones not requiring virtualbox which I don't install. The response from server suggests there might be GPU work but its listed as CPU project for pentahlon.

I'll have to do some research on this when I'm back in the country, but looks like I'm going to be borderline overheating my VRMs again. *Flex emoji*

1 minute ago, FakeGamerGuy said:

I'll have to do some research on this when I'm back in the country, but looks like I'm going to be borderline overheating my VRMs again. *Flex emoji*

Sounds good! 

Don't forget to follow this thread to keep up to date! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

9 hours ago, Spotty said:

I haven't looked super hard into BOINC requirements, but if it's mostly CPU heavy, ITNOS's i5-4460 is gonna be a drop in the bucket ? at least the VRM's on that board are great. Can't say the same for my itx board my 4790k sits in 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

I haven't looked super hard into BIONIC requirments, but if it's mostly CPU heavy, ITNOS's i5-4460 is gonna be a drop in the bucket ? at least the VRM's on that board are great. Can't say the same for my itx board my 4790k sits in 

ooh, seems like i might actually have a chance at doing well in this with my threadripper then!

Ill have to set my calendar so I don't forget But.. count me in @Ithanul @Ben Quigley

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER