BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

The 2.7M and 302K. BAM? What? ?

Calm down you're drunk on power.

In the BOINC manager it tells you "Work done" I'm pretty sure it's CPU+GPU. That's the number we're going by.

7 minutes ago, Den-Fi.com said:

giphy.gif

Don't let him intimidate you I've got 128 threads against him. Get my back!

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

In the BOINC manager it tells you "Work done" I'm pretty sure it's CPU+GPU. That's the number we're going by.

Yea just figured out BAM was the boinc stats website, didn't have that setup and kinda of forgot it existed.

Edit:

Also how do you view your own stats on that website, maybe I'm just being blind.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Don't let him intimidate you I've got 128 threads against him. Get my back!

There's no replacement for lots of people joining. No matter how much I start up or have running it's easily surpassed by just a few people putting their gaming systems in to it, especially now days with 8 cores being much more common.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

@Ben Quigley

So I just figured out I'm a complete idiot, all my linux server were still set to the default max CPU of 60%.

so basically, you've been crunching at almost half power all this time?

Just now, RollinLower said:

so basically, you've been crunching at almost half power all this time?

Yea.... so dumb. The only non Linux stuff was that server I started up last night and my PC at work. Oh well, don't actually matter just yea... feel stupid, really really stupid lol

@Windows7ge any change you can swap a heavy hitter machine over to yoyo for the next two days?

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Yea.... so dumb. The only non Linux stuff was that server I started up last night and my PC at work. Oh well, don't actually matter just yea... feel stupid, really really stupid lol

I myself completely forgot about this as well :P Luckily you caught it only a few hours of my server being live, I'll let it naturally update instead of forcing it because SSH...

Just now, Egg-Roll said:

I myself completely forgot about this as well :P Luckily you caught it only a few hours of my server being live, I'll let it naturally update instead of forcing it because SSH...

Team durp ftw ?

Spent too much time trying to get remote manager working, which I never could, and forgot to just edit the damn global xml file. I have no idea why I can't remote manage any of them but tbh the WCG profile does the job just fine you don't actually need it.

10 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Team durp ftw ?

Spent too much time trying to get remote manager working, which I never could, and forgot to just edit the damn global xml file. I have no idea why I can't remote manage any of them but tbh the WCG profile does the job just fine you don't actually need it.

Yea, when I read your message my first thought was "great now I have to go digging" till I remembered about the web interface. I'll check thop at luch today and if nothing by the time I get home I'll go digging.

I try to do this with as much things as possible

MW73rc.gif

Anything that can't usually gets tossed :P

3 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Yea, when I read your message my first thought was "great now I have to go digging" till I remembered about the web interface. I'll check thop at luch today and if nothing by the time I get home I'll go digging.

I just created a new device profile (custom set to 192 cores and 100% CPU time) and then assigned it just to those Linux servers, then ssh on the servers did 'boinccmd --project http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org update'. Worked immediately, CPUs jumped right to 100%.

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I just created a new device profile (custom set to 192 cores and 100% CPU time) and then assigned it just to those Linux servers, then ssh on the servers did 'boinccmd --project http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org update'. Worked immediately, CPUs jumped right to 100%.

Monday mornings I tell yea because either it got updated since I did the web settings or it lies...

image.png.ce4225ce18b0727e0d2b7846c10bdd17.png

image.png.27facc3fc9724e891e67edbe7fe536b1.png

I've seen a couple of people on the discord throwing dual socket machines at this, looks promising.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Monday mornings I tell yea because either it got updated since I did the web settings or it lies...

image.png.ce4225ce18b0727e0d2b7846c10bdd17.png

Um what? Am I seeing things or is it telling you the exact same thing you tried? I'm playing spot the difference but I can't see any.

11 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Yay, let's just underutilise the silicon...

For projects I do long term (more than 2 weeks) I'd characterise the work and find out how much it gains from HT/SMT, if at all. I didn't have time to do it... although thinking more I probably still could as I have two identical i3's (2c4t) where I could turn off HT on one and see how they compare on work done over the days... in past when I did this on another project, there was a workload which had zero benefit from HT/SMT, but with HT on the CPU ran 10C hotter. I didn't note the reported power use in that case, but still, not a great tradeoff there...

I feel the value of HT/SMT is greatly over-stated especially when people compare threads to cores. Even in a good HT/SMT friendly case like Cinebench R15 you get 30% throughput increase, and typically it is lower. While generally not applicable for a crunching sense, HT/SMT also risks lowering performance if critical path threads end up being paired with another one, slowing it down. That can't happen without HT/SMT.

On that note, with time limited events as well, you have to manage the run times a bit too, so that work gets returned while it still counts. HT/SMT will increase individual unit run times.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

20 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Um what? Am I seeing things or is it telling you the exact same thing you tried? I'm playing spot the difference but I can't see any.

My guess is it might have something to do with the error I encountered last night. If not seeing errors like that is nothing new to me esp with Ubuntu and OVH.

Only reason why I went Ubuntu is because of the name "Bionic Beaver" else I'd have gone with a different flavor

3 minutes ago, porina said:

For projects I do long term (more than 2 weeks) I'd characterise the work and find out how much it gains from HT/SMT, if at all. I didn't have time to do it... although thinking more I probably still could as I have two identical i3's (2c4t) where I could turn off HT on one and see how they compare on work done over the days... in past when I did this on another project, there was a workload which had zero benefit from HT/SMT, but with HT on the CPU ran 10C hotter. I didn't note the reported power use in that case, but still, not a great tradeoff there...

I feel the value of HT/SMT is greatly over-stated especially when people compare threads to cores. Even in a good HT/SMT friendly case like Cinebench R15 you get 30% throughput increase, and typically it is lower. While generally not applicable for a crunching sense, HT/SMT also risks lowering performance if critical path threads end up being paired with another one, slowing it down. That can't happen without HT/SMT.

On that note, with time limited events as well, you have to manage the run times a bit too, so that work gets returned while it still counts. HT/SMT will increase individual unit run times.

SMT must help better utilise the silicon otherwise it wouldn't be so prevalent on HPC chips is my thinking... 

the performance gain must be greater than the power usage gain otherwise it would be disabled on most server grade chips...

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Only reason why I went Ubuntu is because of the name "Bionic Beaver" else I'd have gone with a different flavor

Mine are all Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS

7 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

OK now I know where @Ithanul got that 2.37M number from. Yeah, no I'm NOWHERE close to you. I'm currently at 302K but if I can maintain this rate I'll be somewhere around ~1.4M when this event is over. I will have to "take my foot off the gas" though when it's done so I won't be passing you any time soon.

Yeah, that is from the stat site.

A good chunk of those points are from my previous 5960X and a FX8350.  This the year actually the first time I am firing up these Threadrippers to go at it.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

@leadeater

Would you be able to move a machine over to yoyo also, we have a real change of gaining points there, but I feel some of the other teams will buncker towards the end and I'd rather we tried to get some buffer. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

SMT must help better utilise the silicon otherwise it wouldn't be so prevalent on HPC chips is my thinking... 

the performance gain must be greater than the power usage gain otherwise it would be disabled on most server grade chips...

Wasn't that long ago major vendors like Microsoft recommended turning HT off as it gave performance regressions to applications like MSSQL which are highly optimized and query latency sensitive.

IBM has 4 way and 8 way SMT but their architecture is specifically designed for it and their systems target huge datasets and large memory throughput where SMT does well at. When your task is pair almost directly to CPU core computational performance HT doesn't do anything. Extra threads allow you to do more tasks not more computation.

Think of it like 10 people moving 10 small boxes versus 1 person move one large box, the same work was done but in a different way. Those 10 people could have taken those 10 boxes to different locations.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Team durp ftw ?

You may need to setup the cc_config.xml file with the allow_remote_gui_rpc option flag.

Also, Dooley came across an issue that can conflict with BOINC.  WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) can conflict with the BOINC client causing the client to not bind to the default port.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Just now, Ithanul said:

You may need to setup the cc_config.xml file with the allow_remote_gui_rpc option flag.

..... shhh don't make me look stupid twice in one day ?‍♂️

My plan next year is to set up each system with a VM for the GPUs as the way BOINC manages this on its own is bullshit. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240