BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

Just now, Ithanul said:

Hehehe, you probably would hate the client computers here where I work.

All four cores with one stick of RAM (yes...one stick, even I was going wtf when I saw that).

My university had dual core ATOM powered thinclients...

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

My university had dual core ATOM powered thinclients...

Guess the servers do the heavy lifting similar to the setup where I'm at.

The clients basically just act like dump access to the system with a very, very locked down interface (the users don't even have access beyond the GUI into the Linux system, not even Bash shell).  Really locked down as well since users can't even delete files or change permission without getting one of us that work on the system to do that for files.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 minute ago, Ithanul said:

Guess the servers do the heavy lifting similar to the setup where I'm at.

The clients basically just act like dump access to the system with a very, very locked down interface (the users don't even have access beyond the GUI into the Linux system, not even Bash shell).  Really locked down as well since users can't even delete files or change permission without getting one of us that work on the system to do that for files.

Honestly, it was terrible, couldn't even watch YouTube.

I'm aware of how the system works, my degree in networking after all, but there's cheap... Then there's cheap...

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, Ithanul said:

O nelly, I may hit 3mil in WCG this year.  Woot!

Capture.PNG.ca2e459fe76c70126479884ecd20ce7c.PNG

What took you so long, only took me a few days ?

image.png.60f110e74654df45603fb47f6f1f6aba.png

Actually though, nice effort. Would take so much longer 'normally'.

5 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Honestly, it was terrible, couldn't even watch YouTube.

I'm aware of how the system works, my degree in networking after all, but there's cheap... Then there's cheap...

Lmao, sounds like some of the thin clients I had to deal with on a military exercise.

Didn't help the blasted things where hook to a specific network that I try very, very hard to stay away from because of the headaches to deal with it.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

What took you so long, only took me a few days ?

image.png.60f110e74654df45603fb47f6f1f6aba.png

Actually though, nice effort. Would take so much longer 'normally'.

I don't have that many PCs to pull that off.  Plus....my electric bill going to bad enough at the end of this month.

My room is already toasty as is from the two Threadrippers hauling butt.  Hopefully I get the 5960X up here in a few days as well.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

2 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

I don't have that many PCs to pull that off.  Plus....my electric bill going to bad enough at the end of this month.

Yea I'd have a hard time justifying any of this if it was my power. I'll have my solar up in a few months so I could do it then and not have to worry.

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yea I'd have a hard time justifying any of this if it was my power. I'll have my solar up in a few months so I could do it then and not have to worry.

How much power are you expecting those things to bring in? Unless you bought a battery bank to go with it.

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

The way my deal is worked out with the landlord is if the electric bill goes over $175 I gotta cover the rest.

I'm glad the event is only 2 weeks but I am undoubtedly going to be paying for it.

6 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

How much power are you expecting those things to bring in? Unless you bought a battery bank to go with it.

I have 1000Ah of batteries and it's start off as 9x 325W panels.

I've apparently been trying too hard apparently... SYS seems to have allowed what I wanted all along. Looks messy tho :( Not worried about the 60GB loss in redundancy, annoyed but not worried.

image.png.34a31c490238728ae8f9c5cbfb213733.png

Now to try rebooting the think without having to reinstall everything all over again...

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I have 1000Ah of batteries and it's start off as 9x 325W panels.

That's good, at least if they over produce your power requirements it doesn't go to waste. Does your country permit to sell the access? I know locally the power company will give you credit but won't ever pay you ? Greedy sobs...

22 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Mmmmm, solar.  Maybe some day I will have a house with that.

3 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

I've apparently been trying too hard apparently... SYS seems to have allowed what I wanted all along. Looks messy tho :( Not worried about the 60GB loss in redundancy, annoyed but not worried.

Now to try rebooting the think without having to reinstall everything all over again...

What FS?

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

What FS?

It's just SYS, my last server was the same way I always feared rebooting it because you could end up in a stupid loop (being forced to be rebooted several times). It has Ubuntu Beaver installed.

This time it seems to be behaving, but I don't trust. Now to install BOINC, I have 20 minutes to do so.

12 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Mmmmm, solar.  Maybe some day I will have a house with that.

Expensive (less rebates if any) and unreliable because junk can cover them including clouds. Simply put if you have a butt ton of bad weather try installing a windmill.

4 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Expensive (less rebates if any) and unreliable because junk can cover them including clouds. Simply put if you have a butt ton of bad weather try installing a windmill.

Nah, windmill be a no go here.  Solar makes more sense since I do live in the State with nickname of the Sunshine State.

The new UPS's I installed track my servers power usage...oh god, I don't want to know but I want to know.

So I managed to set up my account for WCG on my server is spat out a account key do I need this for anything? Also anything else I might need to do or will it auto Zika?

11 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Nah, windmill be a no go here.  Solar makes more sense since I do live in the State with nickname of the Sunshine State.

Ah ok you are good then.

32 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

That's good, at least if they over produce your power requirements it doesn't go to waste. Does your country permit to sell the access? I know locally the power company will give you credit but won't ever pay you ? Greedy sobs...

Yes, but the buy back rates aren't that great, best company offers 50% of their unit charge rate.

Hopefully this is meaningless :P I'm heading off for the night. The server is doing benchmarks anyways.

dir_open: Could not open directory 'projects/www.worldcommunitygrid.org' from '/var/lib/boinc-client'.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yes, but the buy back rates aren't that great, best company offers 50% of their unit charge rate.

better than nothing :)

OK now I know where @Ithanul got that 2.37M number from. Yeah, no I'm NOWHERE close to you. I'm currently at 302K but if I can maintain this rate I'll be somewhere around ~1.4M when this event is over. I will have to "take my foot off the gas" though when it's done so I won't be passing you any time soon.

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

OK now I know where @Ithanul got that 2.37M number from. Yeah, no I'm NOWHERE close to you. I'm currently at 302K but if I can maintain this rate I'll be somewhere around ~1.4M when this event is over. I will have to "take my foot off the gas" though when it's done so I won't be passing you any time soon.

That for GPUs? What are you using?

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

That for GPUs? What are you using?

GPUs? What GPUs? I haven't thrown any in.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

GPUs? What GPUs? I haven't thrown any in.

The 2.37M and 302K. BAM? What? ?

21 hours ago, leadeater said:

giphy.gif