BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

Well you can see my settings up there...

Alright, I'll give it a shot, thanks.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

Well @Ithanul all GPUs are running now, RIP f@h for the next week or so

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

@leadeater can you let me know when those new systems are online, still could do with the 50/50 split as first requested. Remember to assign one project per machine is possible as project switching is glitchy af. 

I put that 4x 8890v4 on to yoyo but the tasks are SUPER long, they are just starting to finish now.

5 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

and get outta here with your office provided equipment we only deal in self-provided equipment. Let me see you keep up with me just with what you have at home.

I've only got L5630 systems at home, no chance in hell lol.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

I put that 4x 8890v4 on to yoyo but the tasks are SUPER long, they are just starting to finish now.

good to hear.

We just need more power...

everyone tell @jakkuh_t to do those shout outs that were promised!

Message him ;) 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Looks like we are faltering on the marathon, 

Don't move resources away from yo-yo if you are crunching that for us but can we all check up on your rigs to see if we can work out why we are losing production? 

I had heat issues with the machines in the garage, so down 5 machines. Sorted now but WCG is out of OpenZika work.

10 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I've only got L5630 systems at home, no chance in hell lol.

Found a seller on eBay. A pair of E5-4650's for $90. So $45 each. Yeah I could go the 4xxx route to fill a Intel quad socket board.

Not going to start the project for some time though. Too much stuff going on right now.

1 minute ago, Zep said:

I had heat issues with the machines in the garage, so down 5 machines. Sorted now but WCG is out of OpenZika work.

Just the servers shitting the bed, try a few times, if not jump on yoyo

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

19 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Just the servers shitting the bed, try a few times, if not jump on yoyo

Yay, Capt'

@leadeater @Ithanul @Windows7ge @seoz

Can one of your quickly make a quick-start guide for the marathon, jakes going to do the shout out now and I'd like people to be able to get through it quickly. I can't as not at my PC for the next 6 hours. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

@leadeater @Ithanul @Windows7ge @seoz

Can one of your quickly make a quick-start guide for the marathon, jakes going to do the shout out now and I'd like people to be able to get through it quickly. I can't as not at my PC for the next 6 hours. 

Sounds like something we should have done a few days ago. I can try in a little while but I'm willing to bet I'll forget some detail. So do you mean Quick-Start as in how to install the BOINC manager, how to make an account on WCG, how to join the LTT team, how to setup your first project, how to tune system variables (CPU utilization)?

Would that be the gist of it?

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Sounds like something we should have done a few days ago. I can try in a little while but I'm willing to bet I'll forget some detail. So do you mean Quick-Start as in how to install the BOINC manager, how to make an account on WCG, how to join the LTT team, how to setup your first project, how to tune system variables (CPU utilization)?

Probably just BOINC, project, team, sub-project would do. 

with screen shots if you can. 

I'm currently battling a chest infection so not the best to say the least. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Do you think you would be interested in helping to organise this event next year? Would be nice to have a few of us actually working on it rather than it all being last min stuff 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

9 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Do you think you would be interested in helping to organise this event next year? Would be nice to have a few of us actually working on it rather than it all being last min stuff 

Looks like jakkuh_t just handled the quick-guide. I wouldn't mind pitching in next year for organization just give me some instructions and I'll do what I can. I have an extreme bunking idea that I was too slow to implement this year anyways so I want to try again.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Looks like jakkuh_t just handled the quick-guide. I wouldn't mind pitching in next year for organization just give me some instructions and I'll do what I can. I have an extreme bunking idea that I was too slow to implement this year anyways so I want to try again.

Sounds good, I'll write your name down, somewhere... 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

Sounds good, I'll write your name down, somewhere... 

You'll find me floating around the forum and when you spot me you'll remember

...maybe...

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You'll find me floating around the forum and when you spot me you'll remember

...maybe...

Haha hopefully one of us will remember

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

26 minutes ago, jakkuh_t said:

Could you just add that they can tag/message/quite me if they need any help please.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

@Den-Fi.com just shared this on the discord, if your data aint showing on BOINCstats this is why most likely.

unknown.png?width=812&height=441

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

@Ben Quigley Yeah I found those while trying to get BAM to work and enabled them. All I can do now is bank on "it could take several hours for the change to take effect.".

I'm still confused by the ID error. Was I suppose to input an ID somewhere?

Just now, Windows7ge said:

@Ben Quigley Yeah I found those while trying to get BAM to work and enabled them. All I can do now is bank on "it could take several hours for the change to take effect.".

I'm still confused by the ID error. Was I suppose to input an ID somewhere?

I have no idea

I think the ID is generated from your email, so you need to use the same email on BAM and the project... 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I have no idea

I think the ID is generated from your email, so you need to use the same email on BAM and the project... 

I was using two different e-mails. Just put them under the same one. Lets see if that helps. I figure I still have to wait a while before I'll get any results.

I have no hopes of getting that server anytime this decade... Apparently Pitney Bowes failed geography as Toronto is the other direction, either that or failed at company practices and put their distribution center too far away from the boarder. On the plus side once I'm done bashing my head against the RAID 1 wall of SYS I'll be setting up BOINC on the server :) Also my computer is going strong.

image.png.b01fed2376c3457e58a2c387ab731b98.png

3 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Well @Ithanul all GPUs are running now, RIP f@h for the next week or so

What was causing the issue?

1 hour ago, Ben Quigley said:

Yep, ID is based off email.  Always best to use the same email for each project.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU