BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

Quick Start Guide: https://lmg.gg/8KVXx

Mailing list form for upcoming BOINC and F@H events

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSezA3YiHMxDqhUN2kOLoU2WT3LyEi9zseZNT_D_ytY4mpyDxg/viewform

Congrats to everyone that help LTT in the BOINC Pentathlon

@Ben Quigley @leadeater @Windows7ge @RollinLower @porina @James @Gorgon @Egg-Roll @SansVarnic @Beowulff83 @sasamifan @xenel @YBPT @Mesterial @Eruainur @seoz @Dooley_labs

@miker07 @LienusLateTips @BananaInSandals @Antistatic12 @Mattias Edeslatt @ObscureMammal @BJOHEI @Dissitesuxba11s @LordofIrons

If anyone is missing from the list, please post or message me to be added.

LTT10thplace.thumb.PNG.fadd087ad8cd8a0c2e3ad349b0a4cfa8.PNG

To set WCG to allow data sharing with stat sites

Spoiler

unknown.png

BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Announcements || Stats || Daily Bulletin

Dates: May 5 00:00 UTC - 19 May 00:00 UTC

2nd Year for the LTT Team

About the Pentathlon

The Pentathlon is an annual event for several BOINC teams to compete across five disciplines (five different BOINC projects) to gain points and win medals.  Several teams, but only one team comes out as the winner.  The event last for over two weeks.  If you up to the challenge, come on and join the team in competing in the pentathlon and see if your hardware can handle the heat.

BOINC Info and Guides

Team Name: LinusTechTips_Team

Contacts: @Ithanul and @Ben Quigley

Can also be contacted over on the LTT Discord

Current Info:  Marathon will be a subproject of WCG (World Community Grid).  A new discipline is added to this Pentathlon: the Javelin Throw.

Javelin Throw is a fresh and new discipline and requires the teams to cleverly split their resources, as the rankings are not based on the sum of all points, but only on each team's third best day out of five (not necessarily consecutive) days.  Javelin Throw replaces Swimming.  --https://www.seti-germany.de/forum/list/category/3-BOINC-Pentathlon

Announced

Marathon - World Community Gird : OpenZika - 5 May to 19 May

Sprint : LHC@Home - 16 May to 19 May

Javelin Throw : NFS@Home - 6 May to 7 May

Javelin Throw : NFS@Home - 9 May to 10 May

Javelin Throw : NFS@Home - 13 May to 14 May

Javelin Throw : NFS@Home - 15 May to 16 May

Javelin Throw : NFS@Home - 17 May to 18 May

City Run : yoyo@home - 6 May to 11 May

Cross Country : Einstein@Home - 11 May to 16 May

All start times are 00:00 UTC

Javelin Throw : 9th Place  -  Done

City Run: 10th Place  -  Done

Cross Country : 12th Place  -  Done

Sprint : 9th Place

Marathon : 9th Place

Overall : 10th Place

The Disciplines

• Marathon (14 days)
    • Subproject of the World Community Grid chosen by the project administrators
  • Sprint (3 days)
    • CPU or GPU project with a quorum of 1
  • City Run (5 days)
    • CPU project
  • Cross Country (5 days)
    • CPU or GPU project
  • Javelin Throw (5 x 1 day, only each team's third best daily score counts)
    • CPU or GPU project with a quorum of 1

Projects that can be voted for the disciplines:  (cut off date is April 27th)

Spoiler
Quorum CPU GPU
Quorum 1

Cosmology@Home
LHC@home
NFS@Home
SRBase
YAFU
yoyo@home

Collatz Conjecture
Quorum 2 Amicable Numbers*
RakeSearch
Einstein@Home
SETI@home

*: Amicable Numbers is listed as a CPU project this year, because the GPU application is relatively inefficient and uses very much CPU time at the moment.

Projects are not eligible if they

• were chosen in last year's Pentathlon (Asteroids@home, NumberFields@home, PrimeGrid, Rosetta@home, Universe@Home)
  • cannot provide a sufficient number of workunits
  • do not support at least Windows and Linux
  • provide non-CPU-intensive (NCI) applications
  • use buggy or test-only applications
  • do not allow the creation of new accounts
  • do not support WebRPC

Bunker Technique

An advance technique used during the Pentathlon to hold a large amount of WUs (Work Units) before a discipline start date.

Windows 7/8/10

Spoiler

How to setup multiple instances of BOINC

Advance BOINC Pent bunker technique

The following is a technique referred to as bunkering in the Pent.  The advantage of this technique is to hold many WUs that are crunch ahead of time before a discipline (BOINC project) start date occurs.  Once the discipline start date hits, the WUs are then off loaded from the client allowing a large amount of points to be gained at the start.

The technique is even used near the end of discipline dates to gain last minute advantages as well.  Usually can be seen when a team shows low output in one or two disciplines then all of a sudden a large amount of points are dumped on one project as the end date nears.  This can allow a team to take a higher spot at the end before other teams can react.

Note: this technique is not useful on projects with quorum 2.

Steps to setup another instance of BOINC for bunker technique:

Windows Method

1. First, create a new folder in C:\ProgramData
    • Example:  

C:\ProgramData\BOINC2

2. Edit the cc_config.xml file to include the allow_multiple_clients option.
    • Example: 

<cc_config>   
       	<options>    
        		<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>    
        		<allow_multiple_clients>1</allow_multiple_clients>   
       	</options> 
      </cc_config>  

3. Next, creat a batch file in the new BOINC folder.
    • Example: 

"c:\Program Files\BOINC\boinc.exe" --allow_multiple_clients --redirectio --detach_console --gui_rpc_port 31418 --dir C:\ProgramData\BOINC2 
      exit  

Note: Default port for BOINC is 31416.  Each instance requires its own port.  This is what the --gui_rpc_port sets.

•  

4. Run the batch file.  This will start another instance of BOINC which can now be setup to download and run more WUs to bunker with.

Now, you have another instance of BOINC running.  Next is to hook this instance to the BOINC Manager.

Connecting BOINC Manager to the new instance:

1. Create a new shortcut.
    • Rename this to the instance of BOINC made.  Example: BOINC2
  2. Copy the random letters and numbers from gui_rpc_auth.cfg.  This is the password.
  3. Edit the 'Target' line of the BOINC2 Shortcut to include the new port # and new password (this the random letters and numbers).
    • Example: 

"C:\Program Files\BOINC\boincmgr.exe" /m /n 127.0.0.1 /g 31418 /p 37cf632b718387f4675342371b4055cc  

LL

• /g is for the port number you set for the new instance.  /p is for the random letters and numbers from the gui_rpc_auth.cfg file.

If requested, I will add the method for Linux.

Linux (conformed for Ubuntu and Mint) - if anyone else manage to get this to work on other Linux branches, please ping me or Ben so those can be added to the list.

Spoiler

NOTE:  Linux is case sensitive

All steps below are done within the terminal (Bash shell).  Shortcut for terminal:  Control+Shift+T

1. Create data directory for extra instances of BOINC.
    • 
      sudo mkdir /var/lib/boinc2

For those not fully familiar with the Bash shell,  sudo - gives super user permission; mkdir - make directory (or as others refer, a folder), /var/lib/boinc2  -  path and directory name

2. Create cc_config.xml file.
    • 
      sudo gedit /var/lib/boinc2/cc_config.xml

gedit - text editor; if you don't have this, you can use nano or vi or other text editors avaliable to Linux

3. Past text info cc_config.xml
    • 
      <cc_config>         
       <options>                 
        <use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>                 
        <allow_multiple_clients>1</allow_multiple_clients>         
       </options> 
      </cc_config>  

This is to allow GPU usage and multiple clients to run.

4. Create a blank gui_rpc_auth.cfg
    • 
      sudo gedit /var/lib/gui_rpc_auth.cfg

nano or vi or other text editors can be used here

5. Start BOINC Client Instance
    • 
      sudo /usr/bin/boinc --daemon --allow_multiple_clients --gui_rpc_port 31422 --dir /var/lib/boinc2

--gui_rpc_port sets the port for the client instance.  --dir is the directory you made for the new instance in step 1.

To add to the BOINC Manager

1. Start BOINC
  2. Start your newly created BOINC instance.
  3. Go to "File" -> "Select computer..."
  4. For the hostname, enter 127.0.0.1:31422 (the number after the colon is the port number you set the new instance to)

Note: each new instance requires a different port.

Prizes

PC game (up to $100 per), to 3 lucky BOINCers, in support of the cause -> https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1061941-boinc-pentathlon-2019-contest/?do=getNewComment

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

14 minutes ago, James said:

so... do I have to do anything other than start the folding client on day 1 and leave it running?

It is slightly more in-depth, you will have to sign up for the projects you wish to participate in and run then at the times given. If you are unsure it's best to just do the marathon as this will help us have a baseload throughout the event. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

If you are unsure it's best to just do the marathon as this will help us have a baseload throughout the event. 

so basically, set up something like einstein@home and rakesearch and let it run for 2 weeks? is there anything other involved?

2 hours ago, RollinLower said:

so basically, set up something like einstein@home and rakesearch and let it run for 2 weeks? is there anything other involved?

You are better off talking to @Ithanul Than I as I am really bad at explaining things, but we need to spread the points around to get anything close to a respectable score. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

16 hours ago, RollinLower said:

There will be the Marathon (main BOINC project) that will run for the full two weeks of the event.  The site admins of SETI.Germany that are overseeing the event will decide which WCG subproject is picked for the event.  Usually projects get accounced about three or so days out before their start dates.  This gives participents time to bunker crunch WUs and then off load on start dates (an advance technique long time Pent crunchers do).

The other disciplines (projects) are accounced as the start dates for those get closer, and each of those run for certain set length.  I will be posting those accouncements here, plus on SETI.Germany site that is linked as accouncements in the main post will have those updates as well.

If anyone wants to know how to do the bunker technique, I can add a write up about it to the main post.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

7 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

There will be the Marathon (main BOINC project) that will run for the full two weeks of the event.  The site admins of SETI.Germany that are overseeing the event will decide which WCG subproject is picked for the event.  Usually projects get accounced about three or so days out before their start dates.  This gives participents time to bunker crunch WUs and then off load on start dates (an advance technique long time Pent crunchers do).

The other disciplines (projects) are accounced as the start dates for those get closer, and each of those run for certain set length.  I will be posting those accouncements here, plus on SETI.Germany site that is linked as accouncements in the main post will have those updates as well.

If anyone wants to know how to do the bunker technique, I can add a write up about it to the main post.

Please do let us know about bunkering!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

58 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Please do let us know about bunkering!

Ok.

It will take a bit for the write up as there are varying levels of bunkering.

The minimal is just host file changes or downloading tons of WUs and setting upload limit to like 1KB/s or so.  The crazy ones is running mulitiple instances of BOINC.

Edit:  Advance bunker technique for mulitple instances of BOINC added to main post.  For right now, just the method for Windows.  If anyone wants me to add the method for Linux (note:  for Ubuntu branch ones, I have not try on other branches of Linux yet).  I can do that as well.

23 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

It is slightly more in-depth, you will have to sign up for the projects you wish to participate in and run then at the times given. If you are unsure it's best to just do the marathon as this will help us have a baseload throughout the event. 

Is there signup page like the folding event I need to complete?

Also are CPUs and GPUs scored separately?

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.9ca835fd55b101bc91ea1dc3bed81bf2.png

Basically can I just set these running and win? ?

1 hour ago, Ithanul said:

If anyone wants me to add the method for Linux (note:  for Ubuntu branch ones, I have not try on other branches of Linux yet).  I can do that as well.

Yes please, unless this run better under Windows or something. Although I could just load Windows on to the servers, have a bit more prep time than last time.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Is there signup page like the folding event I need to complete?

Also are CPUs and GPUs scored separately?

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.9ca835fd55b101bc91ea1dc3bed81bf2.png

Basically can I just set these running and win? ?

By what I read, only one discipline (project) will use GPUs.  The rest will be CPU work.

There is no signup page yet.  If that is something folks want, I can look into setting one up.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yes please, unless this run better under Windows or something. Although I could just load Windows on to the servers, have a bit more prep time than last time.

Alright.  I will get that added as well to the main post.

1 minute ago, Ithanul said:

By what I read, only one discipline (project) will use GPUs.  The rest will be CPU work.

Well that makes it much more interesting for me then, yay.

18 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Well that makes it much more interesting for me then, yay.

Added the advance bunker technique for Linux to the main post now.

Yep, the event tends to be heavy on CPUs.  Some folks find out real quick if their CPUs are stable on their clocks with this event.

12 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Added the advance bunker technique for Linux to the main post now.

Thanks. Can you set the work project using the config file or cli arghs? Mine are all currently Linux server and firewall off so no easy way of getting to a web gui, can work round it if I have to though.

Also better to multi instance or split the servers across different projects?

12 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Yep, the event tends to be heavy on CPUs.  Some folks find out real quick if their CPUs are stable on their clocks with this event.

I'm just going to be abusing work resources, decommissioned servers so no OC problems for me and their electricity.

20 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

I'm constantly and extensively stability testing my HW, I'm more bothered about me being able to take the heat than the hardware being unstable. 

Maybe it's time to break out that water-cooling kit I bought for my CPU... 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

10 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Thanks. Can you set the work project using the config file or cli arghs? Mine are all currently Linux server and firewall off so no easy way of getting to a web gui, can work round it if I have to though.

Also better to multi instance or split the servers across different projects?

I'm just going to be abusing work resources, decommissioned servers so no OC problems for me and their electricity.

I don't have a lot of experience with controling BOINC through terminal.  I can see if I can find some info on that as I seen other folks run headless setups and ssh into them.

In the case you dealing with servers with firewalls, probably best to just run the main BOINC application per server and not worry about setting up mulitiple instances for bunkering.  As you probably would have to setup each port for each instance to run through the firewall depending how it is setup.

4 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I'm constantly and extensively stability testing my HW, I'm more bothered about me being able to take the heat than the hardware being unstable. 

Maybe it's time to break out that water-cooling kit I bought for my CPU... 

If worry about heat output, you can set BOINC to not use 100% resources.

But yeah, full tilt on a CPU or GPU with BOINC projects will make a good bit of heat.  My room usually gets sauna level heat when I crank all hardware for BOINC crunching.  I may tempt my main rig onto a Linux distro to get the lower overhead and better schedular for my 1950X (I'm noticing that projects like Universe@Home don't run near as nice in W10 on my 1950X compare to my 1900X under Mint Mate 18.3).

Also, don't expect that water cooling kit to help.  Back when I had a 5960X at 4.6GHz and two GTX980Tis at 1540MHz during one Pent.  I still had some nutty sauna level heat going on (yes, I was sweating if I was sitting near that rig).

4 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

In the case you dealing with servers with firewalls, probably best to just run the main BOINC application per server and not worry about setting up mulitiple instances for bunkering.  As you probably would have to setup each port for each instance to run through the firewall depending how it is setup.

Anything I lose out on? Plan was to just setup one of them with Windows or Linux desktop and use that to access the others as within the same network there's no firewalls to have to deal with, it's only traffic going in and out of the zone and outbound for the that one is blanket allowed.

9 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

I don't have a lot of experience with controling BOINC through terminal.  I can see if I can find some info on that as I seen other folks run headless setups and ssh into them.

If worry about heat output, you can set BOINC to not use 100% resources.

But yeah, full tilt on a CPU or GPU with BOINC projects will make a good bit of heat.  My room usually gets sauna level heat when I crank all hardware for BOINC crunching.  I may tempt my main rig onto a Linux distro to get the lower overhead and better schedular for my 1950X (I'm noticing that projects like Universe@Home don't run near as nice in W10 on my 1950X compare to my 1900X under Mint Mate 18.3).

Also, don't expect that water cooling kit to help.  Back when I had a 5960X at 4.6GHz and two GTX980Tis at 1540MHz during one Pent.  I still had some nutty sauna level heat going on (yes, I was sweating if I was sitting near that rig).

I'm not expecting it to help with my room heat, I will happily sit in 30-40C tbh... It's most squeezing out every last drop of performance. I'm planning to be burning through 2 Kw or so through the event. 

But don't worry, I run on 100% renewable energy!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

@leadeater do you think you can get done more mods involved, Jake is planning to throw his workstation on the marathon.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Anything I lose out on? Plan was to just setup one of them with Windows or Linux desktop and use that to access the others as within the same network there's no firewalls to have to deal with, it's only traffic going in and out of the zone and outbound for the that one is blanket allowed.

You just can't bunker a crazy amount of WUs, but you can still do a small bunker technique instead.

To do that, download several days worth per server, then set the upload limit in BOINC to something like 1Kb/s or such.  The work units will barely upload and the client will keep the majority bunkered up until you set that upload limit back to default.

But since you don't have restrictions on internal traffic, then setup of mulitiple instances will work.  Just be mindful that this technique is just for bunkering.  Once one instance finishes crunching, then you let the other instance crunch till it is finished, then keep going with another instance.  This allows getting around project limitations that sometimes restricts based on core/thread counts.

Hmm, will the firewall allow the incoming work units for BOINC?  The client still needs to download those for the machine to crunch. 

9 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

But don't worry, I run on 100% renewable energy!

I'll have my solar panels going in some time soon, starting with 8 325W and will add 4 more later. Also got 40 Century PS12240 batteries to store all the wonderful freeTM energy.

Just now, leadeater said:

I'll have my solar panels going in some time soon, starting with 8 325W and will add 4 more later. Also got 40 Century PS12240 batteries to store all the wonder freeTM energy.

:C  I wish I owned my place (still renting).  I would love to have solar panels (live in Florida, so it sunny the majority of the time).

Also, I found this:  https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Boinccmd_tool

CLI Tool for BOINC.

3 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Hmm, will the firewall allow the incoming work units for BOINC?  The client still needs to download those for the machine to crunch. 

Yes that's still outbound as it's stateful firewall, client asks for the work units and that session was established by the client so session related traffic is allowed.

Worked fine during the F@H event btw

Just now, Ithanul said:

:C  I wish I owned my place (still renting).  I would love to have solar panels (live in Florida, so it sunny the majority of the time).

Also, I found this:  https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Boinccmd_tool

CLI Tool for BOINC.

Could I just block the servers IP that I would send the WUs out too?

Also hypothetically could I set up VMs and just suspend them when they have finished the WUs they have stored? That way I cut just kill the internet to the VM after it has downloaded the WUs?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Yes that's still outbound as it's stateful firewall, client asks for the work units and that session was established by the client so session related traffic is allowed.

Worked fine during the F@H event btw

Alright.  Then you should be fine to do the multiple instance technique for BOINC.

Depending how many instances you get up and running.  That Boinccmd tool will probably help out.