Does NTFS work with GPT partition schemes and UEFI booting?

Neva

Planning to do a fresh Win 10 UEFI install soon on my new SSD so I've got a question:
- When creating a USB bootable drive, do i format the drive using NTFS or FAT32 file system? Does NTFS work with GPT partition schemes and UEFI booting or do I have to use FAT32?

Thanks for the help in advance! ?

14 minutes ago, Neva said:

Planning to do a fresh Win 10 UEFI install soon on my new SSD so I've got a question:
- When creating a USB bootable drive, do i format the drive using NTFS or FAT32 file system?

Depends on drive size.

If it is <= 32GB, then FAT32

If it is > 32GB then NTFS or split partition where you have 1 of 32GB or smaller which you format as FAT32, and the other to whatever you want.

Does NTFS work with GPT partition schemes

Partition Schemes works with any drive formats

UEFI booting or do I have to use FAT32?

Depends on the motherboard. Some only support USB flash drive formated as FAT32 others support FAT32 and NTFS.

Some motherboards may only work with 8GB drives/partitions or only 16GB or some other size.

Refer to your motherboard manual or contact the motherboard manufcature for this information or just try and see.

When you boot your drive be sure that:

• UEFI is enabled in your UEFI and not set to BIOS / Legacy
  • That CSM is disabled
  • On the flash drive boot selection menu you pick the one with your drive name with "UEFI" in the name

Awesome, thank you very much! ?

There is easy answer too - use Rufus to create your usb bootable installation and you'll get proper format automatically.

@GoodBytes: 32 GB is only built-in format tool limitations, not FAT32 limit. You can easily create bigger FAT32 partitions using any good partition manager. If you really want of course.