Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dudeser

Overclocking a 1060 with 500W PSU

Posted · Original PosterOP

I was thinking of OC'ing my 1060 (6gb) (it is the MSI Armor OC version), but I'm aware that this will draw more power. My power supply is 500 watts. Can I OC safely, and if so, how much? Also, is it really necessary to OC a factory overclocked card?

My CPU is an i5-7400 if that's relevant.

You'll be fine in terms of wattage. What model PSU is it?

I have an overclocked Ryzen 5 1600 and GTX 780 on a 550W power supply.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

You'll be fine in terms of wattage. What model PSU is it?

I have an overclocked Ryzen 5 1600 and GTX 780 on a 550W power supply.

Now, I don't really know how to name PSU's, but it says that it is a SPI500 80 plus silver @Crunchy Dragon (if that tells you anything)

2 minutes ago, Dudeser said:

Now, I don't really know how to name PSU's, but it says that it is a SPI500 80 plus silver @Crunchy Dragon (if that tells you anything)

Is it similar to this one? https://www.ebay.com/c/2090100546

Just now, DoomTheAssassin said:

If its 80+ Silver you should more then likely be fine.

Efficiency means nothing, you want quality in a PSU.

15 minutes ago, Dudeser said:

it says that it is a SPI500 80 plus silver @Crunchy Dragon (if that tells you anything)

http://www.sparklepower.com/pdf/SPI500ACH8.pdf

terrible.. barely passes ATX specifications, means it's the lowest of the low end

ATX specifications are 120mv ripple (maximum) for the 12V rail, and 50mv ripple (maximum) for the 5V and 3.3V rail, but to give you an idea, good PSU's (not even expensive), are in the 10-20mv range for the 12V rail and also around 10mv for the 5V and 3.3V rail.

This PSU is right on the edge of 120mv (12v) and 50mv (5v, 3.3v), and that's according to their "testing", in reality it would most likely fail ATX specifications.

17 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Is it similar to this one? https://www.ebay.com/c/2090100546

I can't check right now, but it doesn't look too different @Crunchy Dragon

15 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

http://www.sparklepower.com/pdf/SPI500ACH8.pdf

terrible.. barely passes ATX specifications, means it's the lowest of the low end

ATX specifications are 120mv ripple (maximum) for the 12V rail, and 50mv ripple (maximum) for the 5V and 3.3V rail, but to give you an idea, good PSU's (not even expensive), are in the 10-20mv range for the 12V rail and also around 10mv for the 5V and 3.3V rail.

This PSU is right on the edge of 120mv (12v) and 50mv (5v, 3.3v), and that's according to their "testing", in reality it would most likely fail ATX specifications.

Wow, if that's my PSU then I don't think I should OC anything...

1 minute ago, Dudeser said:

I can't check right now, but it doesn't look too different @Crunchy Dragon

Yeah, your overclocking gains would be minimal even if you were to overclock.

If you went out and bought something like a Corsair CX550M, that would be an excellent option.

3 minutes ago, Dudeser said:

then I'd replace it tbh

PSU Tier List//Motherboard VRM list//Graphics card (cooling) tier list//Build Guide Megathread//Motherboard Tier List//Linux Guide//Build logs//Before troubleshoot//Mark Solved//Community standards

Don't forget to quote or mention me

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k  @4.5 ghz  GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming   RAM: 8+8 3360 mhz DDR4 Trident Z   MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC   HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung ECOGREEN   SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB   Soundcard: built in   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB   Screen: Salora 40LED1500

Secondary PC: Cedar mill

Spoiler

CPU: i3-2130   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 4+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3    MOBO: HP H series   HDD: 320 GB WD Black 7200 RPM   PSU: HP 250 watt   Soundcard: built in   Case: Sunbeam Quarterback   Screen: IIyama Prolite T2240MTS, Samsung SyncMaster710N

Server: CookieVault

Spoiler

CPU: core2dual E8400   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 2+1+1+1 gb 1333 mhz ddr3   MOBO: HP Q series   HDD: 4x 1tb 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint Ecogreen   Soundcard: built in   Case: Compaq 6000 pro mt   Screen: Samsung SyncMaster710n

Laptop: Acer TravelMate 8573t

Spoiler

CPU: I3-2330M   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 8+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3   MOBO: Acer   SSD: 250 gb mx500 sata   Soundcard: built in   Case: Acer TravelMate 8573t   Screen: TN 768p

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 slim glacier white 500 gb, PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 gb, Xbox, 3 DS lites, DSI XL, Gameboy Advanced Color, PS Vita v2, Wii, PS3 500 gb

1 minute ago, Dudeser said:

If that is in fact your PSU, I wouldn't recommend overclocking, if you put more stress on it, the ripple will increase and in return would stress your hardware even more, and might cause unexpected shutdowns, but i have no clue if it will actually kill your hardware, but ATX specifications are there for a reason