CPU: i9-9900K

GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2080ti

MB: Gigabyte Aorus Master

RAM: 32gb Ripjaws V

HD: 1Tb Samsung 970 Pro

PSU: Corsair RM1000i

CPU Cooling: NZXT x72 Kraken

Display: 55” 4K LG OLED UHD 120hz

So, just built this two days ago and I’m having a lot of issues. 

Most of them are pretty small and probably chocked up to this being my first time using Windows in over a decade. But the real killer is how choppy Battlefield V is.

The game plays fine but when it gets to a cut scene it turns into a flipbook. I originally asked over on Toms Hardware, but didn’t really find a solution. It was theorized that maybe my GPU was getting peak utilization. Or my CPU was and bottlenecking everything. So I went back and ran a test.

I had to drop RX12, DLSS, and Ray Tracing since for some reason my CAM monitoring software doesn’t run with that enabled. What I found was that my CPU/GPU utilization plummeted when the stuttering started and stayed there.

Running 4K, Ultra graphics, RX12, DLSS and Ray Tracing I was getting 60fps at ~35-40% utilization on the GPU and CPU. Everything ran fine for playing, but as soon as that cut scene popped up CPU and GPU utilization dropped into the teens. CPU reached a low of 10% and a high of 18% during the cutscene, while the GPU bottomed out at 12% and peaked at 17% during this time. Not sure if FPS can be trusted here but it was reading 29-30fps throughout the scene, whether the stuttering was almost comical, and the same even when it was slightly smoother.

As soon as the cut scene ends and it drops you back into play the FPS popped up to 60 and utilization back to high 30s.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

check the temperatures. Make sure your memory isn't running single channel

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

check the temperatures. Make sure your memory isn't running single channel

Even after 4hrs straight of 4K, ultra gaming I have never seen the GPU break 71c and never seen the CPU break 70. 

Memory is is slotted in A2 and B2 as the manual recommends, and I have no problems in any other game.

Was hoping this would be an easy, first timer mistake type fix, but it seems more in depth.

2 hours ago, Emp138 said:

Most of them are pretty small and probably chocked up to this being my first time using Windows in over a decade. But the real killer is how choppy Battlefield V is.

make sure the drivers are installed and up to date.

nvidia/ visual c++ / direct x ...

most of the time, reinstall game or even windows fixes most of the wierd issues

Test with a monitor.

Screen technologies can cause all sorts of bad things. I don't use Freesync on some games because cutscenes get massive screen tear. On others it drops frame rate to 30. Since I use a monitor I can add or subtract technologies to suit the situation. 

See if there is a driver for the TV. I had to use monitor drivers for 4k for many years since 4k was not supported well for a long time.

Also try different vsyncs in the Nvidia control panel.

Test with a different GPU. I keep spar GPUs for this sort of thing. You never know when you are going to run into a hardware incompatibility. I did with the GTX 970 and 1080. Both cards worked perfectly when put in different systems.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

On 4/22/2019 at 11:24 PM, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

make sure the drivers are installed and up to date.

nvidia/ visual c++ / direct x ...

most of the time, reinstall game or even windows fixes most of the wierd issues

All drivers are up to date. Will try re-installing game!

31 minutes ago, Emp138 said:

All drivers are up to date. Will try re-installing game!

try updating all the drivers, make sure ur memory is not in single channel, if that doesn't work try other game to see if its because of the game

On 4/23/2019 at 5:15 AM, jones177 said:

Test with a monitor.

Screen technologies can cause all sorts of bad things. I don't use Freesync on some games because cutscenes get massive screen tear. On others it drops frame rate to 30. Since I use a monitor I can add or subtract technologies to suit the situation. 

See if there is a driver for the TV. I had to use monitor drivers for 4k for many years since 4k was not supported well for a long time.

Also try different vsyncs in the Nvidia control panel.

Test with a different GPU. I keep spar GPUs for this sort of thing. You never know when you are going to run into a hardware incompatibility. I did with the GTX 970 and 1080. Both cards worked perfectly when put in different systems.

Unfortunately I do not have a monitor at the moment. I spent quite a lot on the build and figured it would be fine on the TV for a month or whatever till I got a monitor. Also don’t have another GPU because this is my first build.

I am leaning towards it being a settings/user error issue.

1. I am using the un-activated Windows 10, some videos said this is fine and only prevented you from doing personalization (themes, background etc). But a note about “activate windows to personalize device” appears in both the display and sound settings. 

2. This is essentially my first time using Windows. I used ‘95 and XP growing up. But have had a Mac for the past 15 years. So it might just be a settings issue I don’t understand. When starting the PC sometimes it is zoomed, other times everything is tiny. I can’t seems to get the settings to stay consistent. One time the game sound works perfectl’y (routed via hdmi to tv and then optical to the stereo) other times nothing, no matter which way I try it (PC-HDMI-TV-Optical-Stereo or PC-optical-stereo). Can’t seem to get the mic from the headset to work (dual cabled 1mic 1audio). Tried the front case ports, tried the mobo ports, tried BT Apple AirPods, etc.

So, honestly I think it is probably on my end, but it’s incredibly frustrating and makes me not want to use this brand new system I paid a ton for and stressed my ass off to build...

23 minutes ago, Mr.Hans.- said:

try updating all the drivers, make sure ur memory is not in single channel, if that doesn't work try other game to see if its because of the game

Memory is fine as far as I am aware. Plugged into A2,B2 like suggested, system shows 32gb active. All other games seem to work perfectly fine.

I had this issue with the same hardware mostly.  Going to Windowed Borderless fixed it.

Just now, Gullerback said:

I had this issue with the same hardware mostly.  Going to Windowed Borderless fixed it.

Every time I start the game it seems to work differently. Sometimes it auto goes to borderless, other times full screen. Sometimes the borderless works, other times not. HDR sometimes works, but other times I think the game, my PC, and the TV are all trying to do their own HDR and it gets very blueish and bright and kinda blurry. Sometimes DX12, DLSS, and Ray Tracing are on and work, other times not. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, and I just kinda check and uncheck things till it looks good. Really sucks.