Tesla Unveils FSD Computer and More at Autonomy Day

S w a t s o n
3 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It also makes sense from a design/staff perspective. The Neural Network Accelerator is where they'd need to put all of their R&D. AMD will sell them pretty much everything else about a SoC and save them several years of development, plus Keller probably wanted to work on it and could lead them through the integration and testing phase. One it was design locked, that's probably when Jim went to Intel.

Ganesh from Anandtech says he has reasons to believe AMD were not involved. Not sure what his reasons were, but overall the design of the chip, and the cores are nothing special. Just standard A72 cores, an interface for the memory and a GPU (maybe Mali?).

21 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Ganesh from Anandtech says he has reasons to believe AMD were not involved. Not sure what his reasons were, but overall the design of the chip, and the cores are nothing special. Just standard A72 cores, an interface for the memory and a GPU (maybe Mali?).

All the important stuff is in the NN Processor anyway and that's essentially just another Tensor hardware accelerator built for a specific purpose. A 600 GFLOP GPU isn't going to do much heavy lifting, that's like RX 520 territory of performance i.e. crap.

Edit:

Also the SoC is roughly the same size and transistor count as an RX 580.

15 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

All the important stuff is in the NN Processor anyway and that's essentially just another Tensor hardware accelerator built for a specific purpose. A 600 GFLOP GPU isn't going to be much heavy lifting, that's like RX 520 territory of performance i.e. crapt.

It maybe, sort of looks like a Mali GPU.  (Tesla might have also just used some of the same IP vendors as AMD, so a bunch looks the same because it is actually the same. Jim Keller might have something to do with that choice.)

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

All the important stuff is in the NN Processor anyway and that's essentially just another Tensor hardware accelerator built for a specific purpose. A 600 GFLOP GPU isn't going to do much heavy lifting, that's like RX 520 territory of performance i.e. crap.

Edit:

Also the SoC is roughly the same size and transistor count as an RX 580.

There were rumours of it being a Mali GPU (3 months ago), but as you mentioned, the real "chip" is the NN one. That one is their own, the complete package, the SoC has other stuff as well of course. 

I imagine that is an actual quote/spec from the presentation

Yes, it is posted even in one of the OPs pictures:

Spoiler

image.png

They mentioned during the livestream that they had a HARD CAP of 100 W to be able to retrofit all the current vehicles with this hardware. They were surprised when they managed to get it at 72W. (They have 2x100W PSUs from my understanding in the cars atm for redundancy)

Cool but when can I buy one for my PC?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

3 hours ago, VanayadGaming said:

There were rumours of it being a Mali GPU (3 months ago), but as you mentioned, the real "chip" is the NN one. That one is their own, the complete package, the SoC has other stuff as well of course. 

Yes, it is posted even in one of the OPs pictures:

Hide contents

image.png

They mentioned during the livestream that they had a HARD CAP of 100 W to be able to retrofit all the current vehicles with this hardware. They were surprised when they managed to get it at 72W. (They have 2x100W PSUs from my understanding in the cars atm for redundancy)

The TDP for the computer is 100W. Currently, at the current usage levels, it is actually dissipating 72watts of heat. This will go up as they do more things since the chip is at something like 5% usage per SoC. Each SoC runs from it's own PSU so it's not quite the same redundancy set up as a server for instance. As you can see the neural net is only using 15watts right now, that is the factor that will increase over time the most.

The TDP for HW 2.5 is 60W total.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 minute ago, VanayadGaming said:

That is totally not what they said during the live stream.

Yes it is, I just watched it again. the guy says "Measured using cars on the road right now with the Autopilot stack we are dissipating 72 watts", go watch again

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

2 minutes ago, VanayadGaming said:

That is totally not what they said during the live stream.

10 minutes ago, VanayadGaming said:

So the current total dissipated power (TDP) is 72W. 

no. It's Thermal Design Power man..... They had to design for a 100W capability. It's a 100W TDP. Actual power usage is usually (<100% load) under TDP on cpus and gpus....this should be common knowledge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_design_power

Why don't we just install humans in our cars, then we don't need all the FSD computers built into the car for an additional price.

just charge your car with coffee, and your all good to go