Galaxy Fold Launch Event canceled

MrFixitBlankFace

In the wake of the foldgate controversy that spurred headlines and started a hashtag, Samsung is going to push back its launch event to perhaps a few weeks from now.

My sources ('cause you gotta have them)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/22/technology/personaltech/galaxy-fold.html

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/22/18511170/samsung-galaxy-fold-delay-indefinitely-statement-screen-display-broken-issues

From The Verge

A new release date will be announced over the next few weeks

NY Times

Samsung had previously said it would continue with its plans to release the Galaxy Fold in the United States this week. On Monday, after further inspection of the faulty devices, the company said some problems could be related to exposed areas of a hinge that allows the device to fold up like a book. In one instance, substances found inside the device affected the screen.

We sort of knew it was bound to happen.

I wonder if the reviewers didn't see the problems, would Samsung sell bad consumer units?

Won’t visit often..

Your profile pic fits the news perfectly.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

why would someone buy this? its really THICC For the price, you can buy a Nice snapdragon 855 phone (say oneplus 6t for 600$), a ipad mini 5 (A12, stronger than 855), a surface GO (intel pentium Y), and have ~500$ left over.

or, a ipad pro + iphone Xs

or a ipad pro + iphone Xr + chromebook

or a macbook (pro) + iphone Xr

or just a S10+, and 1000$.

hell, if you are going to buy this, the huawei one is 50% slimmer, and has better camera option, and same battery size

23 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

why would someone buy this? its really THICC For the price, you can buy a Nice snapdragon 855 phone (say oneplus 6t for 600$), a ipad mini 5 (A12, stronger than 855), a surface GO (intel pentium Y), and have ~500$ left over.

It is expensive technology, currently. Plus R&D needs to be paid..

I recall leaks of Microsoft future foldable phone/pc, having inform sources that it will target closer to the $2500 price point. That was a bit over year ago, of course, the device never saw the light of day...yet (more leaks suggest that it was put on hold, due to software not being ready and one can assume that the tech to be not ready yet and maybe they didn't see as that it will sale at this price point). So, seing that Samsung managed to have its phone for 2000$, I think fits in line with the cost of the technology.

Noticing Samsung Fold having so many porblems, even if we ignore the breaking of the screen, like the ease of scratches and dents, it looks like the technology is really not ready yet. 

1 hour ago, Firewrath9 said:

or, a ipad pro + iphone Xs

or a ipad pro + iphone Xr + chromebook

or a macbook (pro) + iphone Xr

or just a S10+, and 1000$.

hell, if you are going to buy this, the huawei one is 50% slimmer, and has better camera option, and same battery size

Let me just shove an iPad in my pocket. Yep, that'll certainly fit.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, Firewrath9 said:

And also worse in terms of implementation. It’s more eye-catching, that’s for sure, but that design is going to make it more susceptible to damage, even more so than the Fold.

5 minutes ago, Arika S said:

good, the entire idea is dumb. you could get a good phone and a good tablet for the same price as the fold.

I don’t think you can fit a tablet in a pocket. I think the whole point of a foldable device is to combine the portability of a smartphone with the display real-estate of a tablet.

It’s kind of a meme now, but tbh, I expected it, even the nature of the tech. I feel like it’s mostly done right now as a “flexing” sort of device (punny, I know), rather than something done for actual purpose. In a few years from now, it’ll likely be matured to really fit in the whole “phone + tablet hybrid” usecase but now, it’s typical first gen.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Seems like a logical move, I think people were most surprised that they didn't announce this earlier. Even if it's just to add more warning material about the 'screen protector' then it makes sense. Particularly after the Note 7 fiasco it was good for Samsung not to rush this product's release if there even any doubt as to it's functionality.

Imagine paying $2000+ for the Galaxy Fold when you can get a better experience for half the price. 

Seriously, pick your favorite smartphone (in my case the iPhone 8 Plus) and just buy an iPad. 

iPhone 8 Plus: $699 

iPad: $329

Total: $1,028

Boom, saved $1K and you have a way better user experience.

The technology behind folding displays is cool and should be developed more. But the concept of a folding phone is flawed. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

18 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Seriously, pick your favorite smartphone (in my case the iPhone 8 Plus) and just buy an iPad. 

The technology behind folding displays is cool and should be developed more. But the concept of a folding phone is flawed.  

Maybe at the moment, but once the technology progresses, I could very easily see them being common place or even tailored for power users/enterprise users. But at this point in time, particularly with the base iPad being so cheap right now there is an argument to buy those two devices.

New Techlinked: SAMSUNG did what! 

With a thumbnail of Riley in astonishment.

$2k smartphone better help me get some ladies or else I will no buy.

It is not like I am going to buy a $2k smartphone anyway. I can't even afford IPhone X so let alone Galaxy Fold. 

Substances found inside the device.... ?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

36 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Imagine paying $2000+ for the Galaxy Fold when you can get a better experience for half the price. 

As much as you, and others, want to pretend that a tablet can fit in a pocket, it simply can't. Physics is against you.

The concept of a folding phone certainly has some (pretty big) teething problems, it is after all in its infancy. Nevertheless, it is a good concept and one that certainly has its benefits.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Physics is against you

Physics is also against making a folding display. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

26 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well, there are things that are a commodity today that were previously not even thought to be possible due to the challenges that the laws of physics posed. 

There'll be a time where a display can be folded and manipulated to various shapes without damaging itself. But it's not today, certainly not at that price. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

49 minutes ago, floofer said:

New Techlinked: SAMSUNG did what! 

With a thumbnail of Riley in astonishment.

Close

image.png.dd7e8beef9fa2a987b9814ba08b2e29d.png

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Please explain how "physics" is against making a folding display.

And please remember that flexible/folding OLED panels has been a think for 5+ years now. For example here is one from Nokia and Advanced Film Device, from 2014.

And since I don't doubt that people will accuse Samsung of copying some company like Huawei, I also found this video of the Galaxy Fold from back in 2013.

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

No, mankind's ability to manipulate matter is a slight hold up to getting over teething issues.    By saying physics is against a folding display you are literally saying that it absolutely isn't possible.   If people gave up after the first failure claiming physics is against it,  we'd still be living in the dark ages.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 minutes ago, mr moose said:

No, mankind's ability to manipulate matter is a slight hold up to getting over teething issues.    By saying physics is against a folding display you are literally saying that it absolutely isn't possible.   If people gave up after the first failure claiming physics is against it,  we'd still be living in the dark ages.

Adding to that, I'm very sure that many products that are the first of its kind were very far from perfect, or even suitable. 

3 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

Close

image.png.dd7e8beef9fa2a987b9814ba08b2e29d.png

Well that’s just more inaccurate than I could have ever imagined 

I like how people here are saying just buy these 3 devices and save money. Missing the point so hard my head hurts. You are obviously not the targeted market atm but in some years when phones properly implement it you'll scream how you can't live without that functionality. 

And good for Samsung for cancelling the launch, better to admit the mistake and fix it than to release the faulty product. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Still exited for the day when I can get a folding phone that's usable folded up and good for video unfolded. The Huawei thing may look big but it's to me a pos as it's a freaking square which destroys the meaning of these devices to me.

I want a phone and then I want a tablet sized screen for video content and I want that to fit in my pocket. Nobody seems to be making that yet but the fold is the closest so far I have seen

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

This is one of the goals of foldable phones though. If you can have 1 device that does both jobs perfectly, then that is a better UX than always carrying 2 separate devices. Also in the long run, at some point in the future, it will probably be cheaper as well. This is more of a public concept than a launch ready device. 

This is the same when people complained way back on phones that had camera, headphone jack, etc. Why would you use those when you have much better dedicated devices? We saw how that turned out. People want simplicity. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Please explain how "physics" is against making a folding display.

And please remember that flexible/folding OLED panels has been a think for 5+ years now. For example here is one from Nokia and Advanced Film Device, from 2014.

And since I don't doubt that people will accuse Samsung of copying some company like Huawei, I also found this video of the Galaxy Fold from back in 2013.

To be fair, is that a real Samsung video? I know they DID have flexi displays as concepts/working prototypes in expos etc, but AFAIK no videos of the actual hardware for the public until recently.

Your point is correct, just wrong video to choose. :P

PS, the link though is spot on! So the tech is progressing (same as say CPU etching tech). So quality + price can improve... Or will Dr Macintosh insists Apple still uses Tube Valves?