Do gaming mice work well on linux?

So, I am in the middle of trying to transition from windows to linux(distro recommendations for gaming and some light programming[mostly python], are very welcome), and I'm thinking about getting a new gaming mouse, the one I have in mind is the SteelSeries rival 500, but I fear that it wouldn't have proper software support on linux(by the way the distro I'm strongly considering is Manjaro) so I don't know if I should get a simpler mouse, or some that has more widespread support, or if I have to choose the right distro. 
To anyone that responds, my sincere thanks.

Product page of the Rival 500 -> https://steelseries.com/gaming-mice/rival-500

AFAIK, Manjaro is Arch-based, and most of the Linux apps I've seen are for Debian-based OSes. If you can get Wine to download on Manjaro, you probably could get software to work. As far as distros go, Ubuntu is my favorite, but maybe choose a better supported Debian-based distro.

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

my harpoon works fine without software, just defualt colours, and defualt dpi settings and, theres an iCUE for linux (ckb-next)(

15 minutes ago, Gegger said:

If you can get Wine to download on Manjaro, you probably could get software to work.

thats not how wine works, you cant use it for drivers

2 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

my harpoon works fine without software, just defualt colours, and defualt dpi settings

i mean stuff besides drivers

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

Spoiler

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

Just now, Gegger said:

i mean stuff besides drivers

you cant use mouse software (basically drivers) i.e. iCUE, etc.

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

you cant use mouse software (basically drivers) i.e. iCUE, etc.

eh ok, *yells at person that told me the wrong thing*

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

my harpoon works fine without software, just defualt colours, and defualt dpi settings

But can you configure anything on the mouse, dpi or colors or button functions, cause the Rival 500 appeal is all about the large number of buttons it has, would be a waste if I cant configure it. Furthermore, configuring dpi is something that I like to have access to

1 minute ago, Mat BC said:

But can you configure anything on the mouse, dpi or colors or button functions, cause the Rival 500 appeal is all about the large number of buttons it has, would be a waste if I cant configure it. Furthermore, configuring dpi is something that I like to have access to

in iCUE you can, theres a special linux version, the corsair scimitar has lots of buttons i think

perhaps @Corsair Nick can help.

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

in iCUE you can, theres a special linux version, the corsair scimitar has lots of buttons i think

perhaps @Corsair Nick can help.

yeah, but I dislike the corsair scimitar design, I currently use a G600 from Logitech that is quite similar, my problem is that is very hard(for me at least I'm sure lots of people can do it just fine) to figure out where exactly is the button I want, and the Rival 500 looks to have some distinct placement and shapes of buttons, that would be very helpful to have, I have no hopes for the haptic feedback(I think it sounds pretty gimmicky to begin with), but I would like to be able to use that on linux, the hope I have is something like libratbag(that seems to have arch supoport), to make things work, but I've never used it ever, and have no idea if it would support the Rival 500, so I'm hoping someone could have some more information about things like it

My Logitech G700s works fine in Linux ... although I had to program the buttons in Windows and then save the profile to the mouse's own memory. 

Try to find out if the Rival 500 can also store the programming on the mouse itself.  If it does, just keep some option to boot a machine into Windows for if you ever need to reprogram the mouse.  Not sure if a VM would suffice. 

1 minute ago, Captain Chaos said:

My Logitech G700s works fine in Linux ... although I had to program the buttons in Windows and then save the profile to the mouse's own memory. 

Try to find out if the Rival 500 can also store the programming on the mouse itself.  If it does, just keep some option to boot a machine into Windows for if you ever need to reprogram the mouse.  Not sure if a VM would suffice. 

Thanks for the tips, and yeah I have a g600 that I did the same thing when using on linux, and it could be a good solution, but unfortunately my current machine has only a 250gb ssd, so I must choose either windows or linux(considering that I usually keep a couple of somewhat sizable games on it) and it'd be quite a waste if I had such a versatile mouse only to have one profile