Low GPU and CPU usage, Low FPS in all games

I just purchased a HP CX0056WM laptop

Here are the Specs:

Intel i5-8300H, 
NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti
8GB Ram
Windows 10

I was actually pretty excited because I found it on sale for $250 at Walmart through brickseek. I’ve been wanting to build a cheap gaming PC for sometime but when I saw this deal I couldn’t pass it up. This is my first gaming pc and Im completely lost. 

I’m experiencing low (Around 30%) CPU and GPU usage in every game I’ve tried and having horrible frame rate (Around 15-25FPS)

Temps are under 50 degrees

I’ve turned power settings in windows to maximum performance and set the Nvidia as the preferred card in the NVIDIA control panel. I’ve also selected to prefer performance in those settings as well. 

I’ve tried updating the GPU drivers directly from NVIDIA and through HPs website. I’ve tried uninstalling the drivers with DDU and reinstalling. In fact the best performance I’ve had is when I reverted back to the default drivers through the HP recovery utility. 

Games I’ve tried:

GTA V: When opening for the first time it warned me that my system did not meet the minimum requirements despite it meeting the recommended requirements. Ran benchmark test on high settings, averaged 22-30FPS however the 1050ti card was at 2% usage??? The integrated intel GPU was at 0%

Squad: Lowest settings averaging 15-20FPS

Beam NG: varied different times I ran the game. Averaged 20FPS on low settings, however sometimes I can get 50FPS on high settings. Very inconsistent. 

Minecraft: For the sake of testing, ran at 25FPS on LOWEST settings. 

Another strange thing, in every game I play adjusting the graphic settings from high to low does not make a difference in FPS but will show a huge decrease in GPU usage. So I’ll go from %60 to 30% GPU usage but the FPS will stay the same (under 30FPS)

I wish I knew more, idk if it’s a hardware issue or what but I really hope someone can guide me in the right direction. 

Thank you in advance!

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Silly question, but do you have it plugged in or not when playing those games?

Thanks for the response, yes I have it plugged in. 

22 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

When you run the games, does Task Manager show it running off GPU0 or GPU1? (Also what does it identify either as?)

GPU 0: Intel UHD Graphics 630

GPU 1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Normally games will run primarily off GPU 1 with only a few percent usage on GPU 0

1 hour ago, Md401 said:

I wish I knew more, idk if it’s a hardware issue or what but I really hope someone can guide me in the right direction. 

Thank you in advance!

check your CPU clock speed while in a game, and also temperatures

https://www.hwinfo.com/

"Sensors-only"

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

45 minutes ago, Md401 said:

GPU 0: Intel UHD Graphics 630

GPU 1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Normally games will run primarily off GPU 1 with only a few percent usage on GPU 0

Alright. I'm going to assume this laptop was recently purchased.

If we want to rule out a hardware issue, the easiest way to do that is to reset the laptop back to its factory default conditions. This'll wipe out everything you have on the computer. If you're fine with that, then do the reset, but don't update anything and see if the games you want to play run normally.

47 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

check your CPU clock speed while in a game, and also temperatures

https://www.hwinfo.com/

"Sensors-only"

Strangely most games only run around 0.8GHz, it works harder when a game is closed honestly. 

37 minutes ago, Md401 said:

Strangely most games only run around 0.8GHz, it works harder when a game is closed honestly. 

and you figured out your problem, something is wrong with the CPU, did you check temperatures?

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

8 hours ago, _Syn_ said:

and you figured out your problem, something is wrong with the CPU, did you check temperatures?

CPU temps are around 50 degrees

On 4/22/2019 at 8:55 PM, Mira Yurizaki said:

Alright. I'm going to assume this laptop was recently purchased.

If we want to rule out a hardware issue, the easiest way to do that is to reset the laptop back to its factory default conditions. This'll wipe out everything you have on the computer. If you're fine with that, then do the reset, but don't update anything and see if the games you want to play run normally.

It was brand new just a few weeks old. I reinstalled windows from a USB drive last night but I’m still having the same issue. 

16 minutes ago, Md401 said:

It was brand new just a few weeks old. I reinstalled windows from a USB drive last night but I’m still having the same issue. 

I feel like at this point it's better to return the system as defective and hopefully get a replacement, than it is to continue figuring out what's wrong. Though I'm hesitant about that option because of the circumstances you purchased it in. But it really depends on how much more time and energy you want to spend on solving this problem.

It's your motherboard, Before,I had the same problem as you, and I change my motherboard everything working fine right now. No more stutter, and low GPU usage :)

AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core / Evga 1070ti ftw 2 8 gb/ MSI B450 tomawack / Stock cooler/ G.SKILL 16gb 3000mhz RGB / 860 evo 500 GB /  XL2411 144HZ  / Western digital blue 1 TB 7200 RPM/ Corsair 760T (white) |Window 10 pro