An UNPOPULAR Opinion - Huawei P30 Pro Review

nicklmg

(Obligatory) Bring out your tinfoil hats:

Also depending on what kind of pictures you are trying to take, Mate 20 Pro beats it in some segments.

Until Huawei doesn't unlock the bootloader, there is no way I am gonna recommend a Huawei phone. It shows what their stance towards the community is.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Quite happy that Linus had brought up that Android sucks for long term updates, custom rom aside. I'd like to see more pressure put on OEMs to address this.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

*insert tinfoil hat comment about Chinese spies and what not*

Spoiler

Honestly, as a Canadian, I want nothing to do with Huawei, with the way China is going out of their way to arrest our citizens, claiming our Canola is "infested" and plenty of other retaliatory crap they've been doing ever since Huawei's CFO was arrested on behalf of the US. Just goes to show how in-bed with the Chinese government they really are.

in4b, comment gets deleted because "political talk".

That said, about the phone itself, I just don't understand why they make them so damn slippery. Yes it "looks nice", but it's pointless if you can't even hold the damn thing without putting a case on top, covering it all.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Gotta love that Samsung battery rant starting around 8:00, with Linus praising the Huawei for doing 2 days on a single charge. 

Meanwhile on my S9+ ...

1048244659_S9plusbatterylife.thumb.jpg.04c9b4c7b1933f65ef0e120fb95c6eb9.jpg

Lineage OS FTW

(okay okay, I am a rather light user.  But then again I did have about 4 hours of screen-on time in those 3 days since the last charge.  Some of it was testing games)

1 hour ago, Chett_Manly said:

image.png.72bbb8ebeec1a3e95992b3608f4fd3f3.png

According to the Anti-Defamation League: 

It is important to realize that the “OK” gesture is a nearly universal hand gesture and most usage of it is completely innocuous. Even when used as described here, the fact that white supremacists, the alt lite and many [mainstream] Trump supporters all use the symbol means that one cannot assume that anyone who poses with such a gesture is intending or exhibiting an association with white supremacy. Only if the gesture occurs in context with other clear indicators of white supremacy can one draw that conclusion.

The “OK” hoax was actually just one in a series of hoaxes in which 4channers (and members of other, similar places on the Internet such as 8chan and Reddit) have tried to take innocuous items, symbols or gestures and falsely attribute white supremacist meanings to them in order to fool liberals and get them to spread such false messages.

https://www.adl.org/blog/how-the-ok-symbol-became-a-popular-trolling-gesture 

Hey Linus about the battery optimization. Go to settings and search "optimization". There will be an option called "Battery Optimization" and it's hidden from the settings. Open it, select "all apps" from the drop down menu, select the app you want (in that case messaging apps) and select "Don't allow".

Unfortunately not many people know about that feature and are suffering from notification lag.

PS: I just created a forum account to let him know about this! I hope this helps.

2 hours ago, ntelas said:

Hey Linus about the battery optimization. Go to settings and search "optimization". There will be an option called "Battery Optimization" and it's hidden from the settings. Open it, select "all apps" from the drop down menu, select the app you want (in that case messaging apps) and select "Don't allow".

Unfortunately not many people know about that feature and are suffering from notification lag.

PS: I just created a forum account to let him know about this! I hope this helps.

more than just battery settings are hidden in Huawei phones. i have a Mate 20 Pro and love it and found the hidden nice stuff......

Am I the only one who knows better than to call a Mirrorless camera a DSLR? For those who wonder wtf I'm talking about it is at 5:15 the Sony 7s is a mirrorless camera not a DSLR :P Just saying, continue your tin foil hat discussion.

Edit: was this always LTTs link? I don't think so.

image.png.9878d75d516a9de8f91227df2cd24892.png

On 4/22/2019 at 1:59 PM, Captain Chaos said:

Gotta love that Samsung battery rant starting around 8:00, with Linus praising the Huawei for doing 2 days on a single charge. 

Meanwhile on my S9+ ...

1048244659_S9plusbatterylife.thumb.jpg.04c9b4c7b1933f65ef0e120fb95c6eb9.jpg

Lineage OS FTW

(okay okay, I am a rather light user.  But then again I did have about 4 hours of screen-on time in those 3 days since the last charge.  Some of it was testing games)

Yes it's hilarious how much better the power management is on Chinese flagships last than other flagships (namely Samsung).

First comes Huawei.......

6jNbp7d.png

1vFjtLv.png

Samsung? Roasted  ?

AKnltQu.png

source: Phonearena benchmarks database

On 4/22/2019 at 11:53 AM, nicklmg said:

Buy Huawei P30 Pro on Amazon: https://geni.us/xrkw

Why not review the P20 Pro or Mate 20? They have a headphone jack*, similar power management and camera features and support boot-loaders/Lineage OS as well! B|

*Mate 20

16 hours ago, Results45 said:

Yes it's hilarious how much better the power management is on Chinese flagships last than other flagships (namely Samsung).

Thing is, it's not like the Samsung hardware is bad, the problem is 100% in the software. I see massive jumps in battery life whenever I install Lineage on a Samsung device. 

On this phone I didn't even bother checking its stock performance anymore, I literally had it on Lineage within an hour of opening the box. 

On one hand I'd love to see Linus review a Samsung device with a custom ROM, on the other hand I'm worried that it would result in hundreds of threads from new people who bricked their devices and expect us to solve the result of their inability to follow instructions.

This could be a sponsored video.

On 4/23/2019 at 11:08 PM, Captain Chaos said:

Thing is, it's not like the Samsung hardware is bad, the problem is 100% in the software, I see massive jumps in battery life whenever I install Lineage on a Samsung device. 

On this phone I didn't even bother checking its stock performance anymore, I literally had it on Lineage within an hour of opening the box. 

On one hand I'd love to see Linus review a Samsung device with a custom ROM, on the other hand I'm worried that it would result in hundreds of threads from new people who bricked their devices and expect us to solve the result of their inability to follow instructions.

Well Linus could just add a disclaimer for the potential risks of custom ROM flashing ~ as he does in all of his PC hardware and OS loophole videos.

So you're saying that the extra "polish" Samsung puts in their "One UI" instead of sticking to bare-bones Android is why their power management is wonky? No wonder! ?

EDIT: he made the disclaimer.

Well, if it is anything like the P20 PRO, it will be utter rubbish. I hated that phone with a passion, because EMUI is the worst example of Android software ever released.

It is an absolute joke of an OS. The P20 PRO stuttered and lagged all over the place, to the point that I had to return it as faulty. Huawei make great hardware, but also some of the worst software you have ever experienced. I have also had a Huawei tablet, which was returned immediately, due to lag and general poor performance. It IS an EMUI thing.