Internet speed fast, actual download speed slow

So this problem has been going on for a while now, but I just decided recently to fix it after upgrading to gigabit internet. My wireless speeds on my pc are about 500mbps, and wired I get 700-800mbps. The other devices in my house also get good speeds. However, when I actually download something the speeds on my pc are awful. On steam I get 12mbps (this might just be a steam thing though), and when downloading a file from the internet I get 500kbps - 2mbps. I think it is a problem with my pc though, because when I download the same files on the other devices in the house, the speeds are fine. Any help would be appreciated!

Check the download server location in Steam, make sure it's the closest to your physical location and see if that improves it.

'IM THE VIDEO GAME BOY, IM THE ONE WHO WINS' - Arin Hanson

Yeah it's the closest, but still pretty bad speeds. Steam isn't that bad though, compared to the half a megabyte per second i'm getting when downloading anything

Just one thing to note, Steam downloads in Megabytes(MB) by default while internet speed is in megabits(Mb). It's still pretty slow since you're on a gigabit connection, steam should be pushing somewhere in the 50-60MB/s range. As for the browser downloads, those are usually in MB as well, but depend heavily on the download location, file size, server load, etc. but I would expect them to be a bit higher at least.

You mentioned testing on a phone or other device, are you downloading from the same website and location when running the comparison test?

When you go to Network & Internet Settings > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > Right click on the ethernet adapter > Status; Does it show 100Mbps or 1.0Gbps in the link speed?

What model router do you have?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2019 at 6:13 AM, Lurick said:

Just one thing to note, Steam downloads in Megabytes(MB) by default while internet speed is in megabits(Mb). It's still pretty slow since you're on a gigabit connection, steam should be pushing somewhere in the 50-60MB/s range. As for the browser downloads, those are usually in MB as well, but depend heavily on the download location, file size, server load, etc. but I would expect them to be a bit higher at least.

You mentioned testing on a phone or other device, are you downloading from the same website and location when running the comparison test?

When you go to Network & Internet Settings > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > Right click on the ethernet adapter > Status; Does it show 100Mbps or 1.0Gbps in the link speed?

What model router do you have?

Hi! So sorry for taking so long to respond. Yes, I have tested the same website on my laptop and all-in-one in various places around the house, both wired and wireless. And I moved my router (though this doesn't change speeds for the rest of the house, in fact it makes them better), so I won't have access to wired on my pc until I get a new cable. Wireless though, in control panel in the wi-fi status, it says I'm getting 866Mbps. This is my router: https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Band-supporting-AiProtection-Accelerator-RT-AC88U/dp/B016EWKQAQ/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=asus+router&qid=1553991418&s=gateway&sr=8-8

Thanks for the response!!

Just curious what kind of drive are you downloading to an SSD or an HDD?

15 hours ago, Daimaou said:

Just curious what kind of drive are you downloading to an SSD or an HDD?

I actually just bought a WD black sn750 ssd, and I'll be doing a clean install of Windows. I think that will help, since I'll have an ssd. Right now i'm using a 2tb sshd.