Looking for advice about cheap hardware for a server

Hey guys,

To sum it up I'm looking at either building or buying a cheap machine for a server that I can use on personal projects of mine. I'm based in the Netherlands so I'm looking at European stores and I can't seem to find anything that I'd say is reasonable. I'm not looking for anything particularly beefy, just something powerful enough that I can throw stuff it's way and not have to worry about it taking a long time to do. Does anyone have any advice on where to look for machines (or parts) that'll do the job without paying a premium?

Can you get refurb servers locally?

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

4 hours ago, TLP said:

anything that I'd say is reasonable

I'm pretty sure you can aquire an older gen quadcore system with several sata ports, some pcie slots and onboard gigabit ethernet on marktplaats for a reasonable price.

Any other specific requirements?

12 hours ago, unijab said:

Can you get refurb servers locally?

They doesn't seem to be many, there's a couple of websites but the amount you pay for how old the hardware is, it's kinda crazy (part of why I came on here to see if anyone knows sites I'm missing)

17 hours ago, geo3 said:

What will you use it for?

I've just got some random c and c# stuff, for example one is a random video editor (takes a video, makes random cuts and merges them together), or I'm making something to navigate the web looking for specific topics(just to see if an ai can learn to look for stuff in particular without much guidance). And that stuff doesn't take much power, just more time, so rather than leaving my pc on overnight I want something that I can just throw it at.

8 hours ago, Olaf6541 said:

I'm pretty sure you can aquire an older gen quadcore system with several sata ports, some pcie slots and onboard gigabit ethernet on marktplaats for a reasonable price.

Any other specific requirements?

Not particularly. I was looking at marktplaats but at the moment it seemed that it was just people linking to crappy websites or people wanting it to be picked up and I live too far away to travel there by train.