Want to prove my dad wrong.

Arsenious

Hi, well I obviously had a rough discussion with my dad over the topic using a VGA CRT monitor in place of our currently working CRT TV. Now I said that all we need is RCA to VGA convertor and a pair speakers which we already have. Now dad got on me saying why the hell do you think there is all the circuitry in the TV then. You think signals are converted on their own? Why do you think TVs are more expensive than monitors. To that I said,

1. Major part of the motherboard of TV has circuitry for converting satellite signal from coaxial cable to usable form.

2. The set top box (the box which converts the satellite signal to AV signal, basically a TV tuner) and the TV just has to interpret AV signal.

To that my dad said to me I'll give you the money to make this "convertor" and if you can't I'll hang you upside down. I have just finished highschool, haven't done anything in engineering. -_-

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07HQBPWF8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_IrDVCbF9GH88T

Now isn't this ^^^^ enough. Help me out guys.

Thanks

can i also be part of making you hanging upside down with your dad? (i already decided what side im on)

13 minutes ago, Oalei said:

can i also be part of making you hanging upside down with your dad? (i already decided what side im on)

Explain the "circuitry" first then choose whatever side. And I mean all of it :)

4 minutes ago, Arsenious said:

Explain the "circuitry" first then choose whatever side. And I mean all of it :)

Master Yoda says: Seek advice, you do? Willing to listen, must you be.

• VGA TO RCA: Designed for transmitting the VGA signal (Output) to S-Video or Composite Video signal (Input). This adapter will not convert S-Video or Composite Video (RCA) signal back to VGA signal.

You need the exact opposite, RCA to VGA with an audio out. No circuitry discussion required.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

7 minutes ago, Arsenious said:

i want to have the experience of putting people upside down ?

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Master Yoda says: Seek advice, you do? Willing to listen, must you be.

You need the exact opposite, RCA to VGA with an audio out. No circuitry discussion required.

Yes I'm willing to listen and I like to, just not in the haughty tone of my father else I tilt. :)

So the converter I mentioned converts VGA to RCA. No circuitry is required in that. But I need the opposite. Any idea how can that be done. Because I just presume its conversion of voltages and resistances and impedances after the signal has been demodulated( from satellite signal to AV).

29 minutes ago, Arsenious said:

Hi, well I obviously had a rough discussion with my dad over the topic using a VGA CRT monitor in place of our currently working CRT TV. Now I said that all we need is RCA to VGA convertor and a pair speakers which we already have. Now dad got on me saying why the hell do you think there is all the circuitry in the TV then. You think signals are converted on their own? Why do you think TVs are more expensive than monitors. To that I said,

1. Major part of the motherboard of TV has circuitry for converting satellite signal from coaxial cable to usable form.

2. The set top box (the box which converts the satellite signal to AV signal, basically a TV tuner) and the TV just has to interpret AV signal.

To that my dad said to me I'll give you the money to make this "convertor" and if you can't I'll hang you upside down. I have just finished highschool, haven't done anything in engineering. -_-

Thanks

From that Amazon link...

Please make sure the Video Card of your system supports TV (RCA / S-Video) output through VGA Port. If not, a signal converter box is needed to pair with this adapter. Please check your Video Card manual or manufacturer to ensure the VGA Port has TV-Out function.
VGA ports do not transmit audio signal, only the Video with RCA cable will work. This adapter will not convert S-Video or composite Video signal to VGA signal.

I think you should learn to survive with lots of blood in your head.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Oalei said:

i want to have the experience of putting people upside down ?

Time travel back to 60s and 70s in India. You'll have plenty of that. :P

2 minutes ago, Arsenious said:

Yes I'm willing to listen and I like to, just not in the haughty tone of my father else I tilt. :)

So the converter I mentioned converts VGA to RCA. No circuitry is required in that. But I need the opposite. Any idea how can that be done.

With an RCA to VGA converter?

3 minutes ago, Arsenious said:

So the converter I mentioned converts VGA to RCA.

No, it doesn't. You need to READ THE DESCRIPTION ON THAT PAGE -- it literally says that it works ONLY if the device you're connecting it to can output composite-video on the VGA-port. It doesn't convert regular VGA-signal!

You do need actual circuitry to convert a regular VGA-signal to composite or vice-versa.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, Arsenious said:

Time travel back to 60s and 70s in India. You'll have plenty of that. :P

my lazy ass dont want to time travel, i only need to do it 1 time anyway (dont mind going oversea)

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

From that Amazon link...

I think you should learn to survive with lots of blood in your head.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

No, it doesn't. You need to READ THE DESCRIPTION ON THAT PAGE -- it literally says that it works ONLY if the device you're connecting it to can output composite-video on the VGA-port. It doesn't convert regular VGA-signal!

You do need actual circuitry to convert a regular VGA-signal to composite or vice-versa.

Aah my bad a typo. Can you explain all the conversions you know I'm interested in that as you say it exists.

6 minutes ago, Arsenious said:

So the converter I mentioned converts VGA to RCA. No circuitry is required in that. But I need the opposite. Any idea how can that be done. Because I just presume its conversion of voltages and resistances and impedances after the signal has been demodulated( from satellite signal to AV).

https://www.amazon.com/SLLEA-Composite-S-Video-Converter-Monitor/dp/B0144DEN7Y/

this converts RCA to VGA

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 minute ago, Arsenious said:

Yeah I checked once again and found these type of boxes. Thanks

might wanna get a higher quality one, because the reviews are not that good, I guess quality control issues

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

47 minutes ago, Arsenious said:

Thanks

I'm not sure I actually understand the problem.

Your VGA CRT monitor will have VGA (D-Sub) in and if you're lucky, maybe S-Video or Composite In. Maybe you'll have DVI or HDMI in (if it's some of the last CRT monitors sold)

Your set top box should output video signal in some formats. Could be RF (that signal round connector like a RCA jack, where you have to tune the TV to some frequency to get the image and sound) or could be S-video , Composite , maybe even SCART (the european big ugly connector)

You can use the CRT monitor IF you find some converter box which takes in one of the signals produced by the set top box and converts them to VGA + audio

This one claims it can convert S-Video or Composite into VGA but I'm not 100% sure: https://www.dx.com/p/composite-s-video-to-vga-converter-box-1280-1024px-max-110v-220v-ac-2007152#.XL3g3qBRUeN

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I'm not sure I actually understand the problem.

Your VGA CRT monitor will have VGA (D-Sub) in and if you're lucky, maybe S-Video or Composite In. Maybe you'll have DVI or HDMI in (if it's some of the last CRT monitors sold)

Your set top box should output video signal in some formats. Could be RF (that signal round connector like a RCA jack, where you have to tune the TV to some frequency to get the image and sound) or could be S-video , Composite , maybe even SCART (the european big ugly connector)

You can use the CRT monitor IF you find some converter box which takes in one of the signals produced by the set top box and converts them to VGA + audio

This one claims it can convert S-Video or Composite into VGA but I'm not 100% sure: https://www.dx.com/p/composite-s-video-to-vga-converter-box-1280-1024px-max-110v-220v-ac-2007152#.XL3g3qBRUeN

TV has RCA input ( yellow white red coaxial like cables). I wanna connect a VGA Monitor to the set top box which outputs in RCA( afforementioned). No I have no converters and don't wanna buy. Just want to know now what all voltages get converted in the process. You know, cuz it cant be done without a converter..

Ok guys, the set top box also outputs as HDMI 1.4. Can just a converter cable be used to conenct to my VGA monitor?

Yellow is composite signal

Red and White are the audio channels, left and right...

Composite is ~ 1v peak-to-peak and it's a modulated signal... you can read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video

VGA is I think 0.75v for each color (red, green, blue) and then you have hsync and vsync pins and other stuff.

You can't do the conversion by just using wires between connectors, you need a converter.

4 minutes ago, Arsenious said:

Ok guys, the set top box also outputs as HDMI 1.4. Can just a converter cable be used to conenct to my VGA monitor?

There are HDMI to VGA converter cables out there, and the good ones will have a separate sound connector for breaking off that part of the signal.

I think the bigger question, especially in light of there being an HDMI output on the box, is why you wouldn't either buy a flat panel HD monitor with speakers built in or a flat monitor with audio out instead. The simplest, most foolproof conversion in electronics is the one you don't make.

3 minutes ago, Arsenious said:

You can use a HDMI to VGA converter if you can set your set top box to output 1280x720 or something that your CRT monitor supports.

You want something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Portta-3-5mm-Audio-Converter-support/dp/B003O55U8K/

Or something like this :https://www.amazon.com/Moread-Gold-Plated-Projector-Chromebook-Raspberry/dp/B00SW9JI9A/

^ BUT you must get one which can be powered separately using a USB connector or some barrel jack connector

These converters rely on power coming from the hdmi connector, but the set top box may NOT put power in the connector and in that case the converter would not work.

It's not a requirement/guarantee that the HDMI connector has power inside it.

39 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

There are HDMI to VGA converter cables out there, and the good ones will have a separate sound connector for breaking off that part of the signal.

I think the bigger question, especially in light of there being an HDMI output on the box, is why you wouldn't either buy a flat panel HD monitor with speakers built in or a flat monitor with audio out instead. The simplest, most foolproof conversion in electronics is the one you don't make.

LOL , I would personally love to upgrade to a VA panel TV but dad says why throw something that still works. Currently I have 3 CRTs in my house and only 1 LCD panel (this laptop).

44 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yellow is composite signal

Red and White are the audio channels, left and right...

Composite is ~ 1v peak-to-peak and it's a modulated signal... you can read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video

VGA is I think 0.75v for each color (red, green, blue) and then you have hsync and vsync pins and other stuff.

You can't do the conversion by just using wires between connectors, you need a converter.

oh okay thanks. actually I was inspired by 8 bit guy's video on converting a very old CRT to take HDMI as input which originally took S video as input...

1 hour ago, Arsenious said:

LOL , I would personally love to upgrade to a VA panel TV but dad says why throw something that still works. Currently I have 3 CRTs in my house and only 1 LCD panel (this laptop).

I mean, you can kick it. Off a balcony. By accident. Then it won't work.