Do I need 750W or 650W PSU?

Hi, I built a system 4 years ago and a few days ago my PSU(Corsair CX750) failed. I need to purchase a new PSU for my system. My friend mentioned that I don't need 750W PSU and added that my system will run very well with 650W PSU.

So here I am asking you experts to guide me please. Which PSU I should buy?

System specifications:-

• CPU : Intel core i7 4790K
  • CPU Cooler : Corsair Hydro H60
  • Motherboard Asus Z97-A
  • RAM Corsair Vengeance 8 GB DDR3 x 4 = 32 GB
  • Storage: 2 SSD + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD 
  • GPU: GTX 970
  • Optical Drive: DVD-RW
  • Monitor : 22inch LED monitor

PC Part Picker Link : https://in.pcpartpicker.com/list/Q3R4zY

I'm from India so I have very limited options to purchase PSU. Your guidance will immensely help me.

Thank you

this system could run off even a 450w unit if it's a good one.

What are the best units from around the 500w~650w margin you can afford? list your options to us and we can tell you which one is the better pick.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Very few brands are available here offline and online. These brands are available here : Antec, Cooler Master, Corsair, DeepCool, and Thermaltake. Other 2-3 brands don't have those PSUs. 

We can't recommend any units if we don't know which units are available and for what price. Give us links to Indian online stores you can use, otherwise we'll be going back-and-forth with "is this unit available?" "no" "is that unit available?" "no" forever and may not land on an optimal choice.

Both TM-X and RMx models are little costlier than my budget.

Corsair CX750 which I had used costs INR 7.5K and these 2 costs more than INr 8.5K

However Corsair CX550 is very well within my budget. Are you sure that 550W is enough for my system?

I'm using a 550W PSU with a 4790k and a 980 Ti, along with more storage than you have. You'll be fine. You're probably using less than 300W at load.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, OrionFOTL said:

We can't recommend any units if we don't know which units are available and for what price. Give us links to Indian online stores you can use, otherwise we'll be going back-and-forth with "is this unit available?" "no" "is that unit available?" "no" forever and may not land on an optimal choice.

Okay sure.

Purchasing computer components here is ugly. We've got very limited options and most of the times the re-sellers sale imported stuff and thus some buyers end up without warranty if they are not aware. eBay used to be good but it got shut down. I will share few links which I think are good.

https://www.amazon.in/

https://www.flipkart.com/

https://www.theitdepot.com/

https://www.primeabgb.com/

https://mdcomputers.in/

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I'm using a 550W PSU with a 4790k and a 980 Ti, along with more storage than you have. You'll be fine. You're probably using less than 300W at load.

That's wonderful to know. May I know which power supply do you use? And your experience with their support(if any)?

Thanks

On 4/22/2019 at 10:10 AM, Bintu55 said:

Hi, I built a system 4 years ago and a few days ago my PSU(Corsair CX750) failed. I need to purchase a new PSU for my system. My friend mentioned that I don't need 750W PSU and added that my system will run very well with 650W PSU.

So here I am asking you experts to guide me please. Which PSU I should buy?

System specifications:-

• CPU : Intel core i7 4790K
  • CPU Cooler : Corsair Hydro H60
  • Motherboard Asus Z97-A
  • RAM Corsair Vengeance 8 GB DDR3 x 4 = 32 GB
  • Storage: 2 SSD + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD 
  • GPU: GTX 970
  • Optical Drive: DVD-RW
  • Monitor : 22inch LED monitor

PC Part Picker Link : https://in.pcpartpicker.com/list/Q3R4zY

I'm from India so I have very limited options to purchase PSU. Your guidance will immensely help me.

Thank you

You should be fine with a 650W PS. I think even a 500W would be more than enough.

12 hours ago, Bintu55 said:

That's wonderful to know. May I know which power supply do you use? And your experience with their support(if any)?

Thanks

EVGA G2 550W. The one time I contacted support I thought they'd left a part out of the box (turns out I'd just misplaced it) and they said to register my power supply and they'd send me a replacement part for free. That being said, in my experience, getting good customer support is just a matter of treating the other person with respect, with the knowledge that they spend all day being yelled at by customers they didn't do anything to. Being extra nice to someone who's uses to getting yelled at means quick help.

11 hours ago, steelo said:

You should be fine with a 650W PS. I think even a 500W would be more than enough if it's bronze or gold certified. 

The efficiency has nothing to do with the amount of power supplied, just the amount drawn. Of course, any decent power supply should at least be bronze certified.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

12 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

EVGA G2 550W. The one time I contacted support I thought they'd left a part out of the box (turns out I'd just misplaced it) and they said to register my power supply and they'd send me a replacement part for free. That being said, in my experience, getting good customer support is just a matter of treating the other person with respect, with the knowledge that they spend all day being yelled at by customers they didn't do anything to. Being extra nice to someone who's uses to getting yelled at means quick help.

The efficiency has nothing to do with the amount of power supplied, just the amount drawn. Of course, any decent power supply should at least be bronze certified.

Absolutely. I always recommend at least bronze certified PSU which (if I recall correctly) waste 20% less electricity as heat. Heat=bad. Most knock off brands don't even offer that. It can be used as ONE indicator of whether or not it's a decent unit.

1 hour ago, steelo said:

Absolutely. I always recommend at least bronze certified PSU which (if I recall correctly) waste 20% less electricity as heat. Heat=bad. Most knock off brands don't even offer that. It can be used as ONE indicator of whether or not it's a decent unit.

They're only rated at three points of load, so that's not necessarily accurate. Efficiency also says nothing about quality either. This techquickie is pretty old but it's still relevant:

14 hours ago, Bintu55 said:

Corsair CX550 is very well within my budget. Are you sure that 550W is enough for my system?

That's a solid unit.

I run a Ryzen 5 1600 and a GTX 780 off of a CX550M, it'll be plenty for your system.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 hours ago, steelo said:

this is bad advice. certification is not indicative of the quality of the unit. meaning its not what you want to go by when choosing PSU (offcourse dont pair 550 watt PSUs with hardware that will draw 700 watts, but people rarely have that sort of system)

16 hours ago, Bintu55 said:

However Corsair CX550 is very well within my budget. Are you sure that 550W is enough for my system?

more than fine. many overestimate the wattage needed. its all about quality not wattage. 

16 hours ago, Bintu55 said:

Thanks

the CX550 (2017) is a good cheap unit. 

3 hours ago, steelo said:

except that they do... 80+ is just efficiency, not qualify.

and there are companies that actually sent in different units to 80+ than they sold, even big names

4 hours ago, steelo said:

80+ doesn't mean it's a good unit, at all.

It just means it passed efficiency requirements.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

@JoostinOnline@Crunchy Dragon

Thank you all for your much valuable inputs. After referring to new PSU tier list and price+availability of item here I have decided to purchase Antec - Earthwatts Gold Pro 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX. 

Should I go ahead and make that purchase or you'd recommend something else?

Thanks

1 minute ago, Bintu55 said:

Thank you all for your much valuable inputs. After referring to new PSU tier list and price+availability of item here I have decided to purchase Antec - Earthwatts Gold Pro 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX. 

Thanks

That looks like a solid option.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

5 minutes ago, Bintu55 said:

Thanks

There are two versions of it. How long is the warranty on the model you want to buy? Do you also have pictures of it from the retailer?

:)

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

There are two versions of it. How long is the warranty on the model you want to buy? Do you also have pictures of it from the retailer?

Wow I wasn't aware of that. I checked on two retailers websites.

Here is the link from where I want to buy :

https://www.primeabgb.com/online-price-reviews-india/antec-ea550g-pro-550w-80-plus-gold-certification-semi-modular-psu/

It shows me 3 years warranty on the retailer website. 

Amazon link https://www.amazon.in/Antec-EA550G-PRO-Power-Supply/dp/B077GCHN1F

In QnA section on Amazon some people questioned about the version and warranty period of PSUs. Quiet shocking that some sellers are selling older version.