Weird performance from my NAS

I have a very simple single hard drive Xpenology NAS that i built a couple of years ago as a straightforward media storage/server.  I've never had any problems until now.

Basically, if i try and copy a file from the NAS to me desktop PC the transfer speed is about 2mb/s.
If i transfer a file from my desktop PC to the NAS the transfer speed is about 100mb/s.
If copy a file from my NAS to another folder on the NAS the transfer speed is about 45mb/s.

In the last copy of weeks the NAS has suffered an improper shutdown due to power outages, could that have screwed things up?

Thanks

20 minutes ago, Goobertron said:
I have a very simple single hard drive Xpenology NAS that i built a couple of years ago as a straightforward media storage/server.  I've never had any problems until now.

Basically, if i try and copy a file from the NAS to me desktop PC the transfer speed is about 2mb/s.
If i transfer a file from my desktop PC to the NAS the transfer speed is about 100mb/s.
If copy a file from my NAS to another folder on the NAS the transfer speed is about 45mb/s.

In the last copy of weeks the NAS has suffered an improper shutdown due to power outages, could that have screwed things up?

Thanks

Drive health might be going. Look into that for starters

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

I'm doing the S.M.A.R.T testing now.

I cant think of why it can copy a file from one NAS folder to another NAS folder at reasonable speed but not be able to copy from NAS to PC at more 2mb/s.

10 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Agreed... sounds likely more hardware than software.

Could my router or switch cause an issue like this?

wouldn't rule them out.

can you copy a file from say google drive quickly?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

6 minutes ago, will1432 said:

wouldn't rule them out.

can you copy a file from say google drive quickly?

I'm not sure how to copy from the NAS to google drive but i'm sure i'll figure it out. I'll wait until its finished doing the SMART check.

Would copying to G Drive actually be different though?  The NAS connects to my switch which connects to my router which connects to my modem so it would still have to go through all of that to upload to Drive, no?

I meant to your computer so that we can see if google drive has the same issue as your nas

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

9 minutes ago, Goobertron said:

I'm not sure how to copy from the NAS to google drive but i'm sure i'll figure it out. I'll wait until its finished doing the SMART check.

Would copying to G Drive actually be different though?  The NAS connects to my switch which connects to my router which connects to my modem so it would still have to go through all of that to upload to Drive, no?

SMART test will only tell you part of the story.

Find the hard drive maker, and use their software tools to check the health.

A network latency can also be an issue, but let's start with the basics first...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

SMART test will only tell you part of the story.

Find the hard drive maker, and use their software tools to check the health.

A network latency can also be an issue, but let's start with the basics first...

Sorry but such a noob but is that possible with the drive installed in the NAS rather than my desktop PC?

you would probably have to run it on the nas. So download to nas and run it there

4 minutes ago, will1432 said:

you would probably have to run it on the nas. So download to nas and run it there

Sorry but i'm not sure how i'd run the western digital software within Synology.  There doesn't seem to be a Synology package for Western Digital.

Ok so this is getting a bit weirder.

The 2mb/s speeds i get are when i simply copy and paste the file from the Mapped Network Drive in windows explorer.  If i actually go in to the Synology UI, right click a file and select 'download' i get 100mb/s. 

I have no idea whats going on.

4 minutes ago, Goobertron said:

Sorry but i'm not sure how i'd run the western digital software within Synology.  There doesn't seem to be a Synology package for Western Digital.

The WD software *should* find the NAS and test the drive.

Otherwise you may have to pull the drive out of the NAS and test as a slave drive in your PC.

17 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

The WD software *should* find the NAS and test the drive.

Otherwise you may have to pull the drive out of the NAS and test as a slave drive in your PC.

If you see my post before yours it looks like its not the hard drive.

I'm also able to stream high bitrate mkv files via Plex on my desktop without any problems.

It seems to be copy/paste and playing media directly in windows explorer (vlc, mpc-be etc) that wont get above 2mb/s.

1 hour ago, Goobertron said:

Ok so this is getting a bit weirder.

The 2mb/s speeds i get are when i simply copy and paste the file from the Mapped Network Drive in windows explorer.  If i actually go in to the Synology UI, right click a file and select 'download' i get 100mb/s. 

I have no idea whats going on.

Disconnect the mapped drive, and try to re-establish the connection perhaps?

I assume you are using Win10?