Upgrading my first build

Hello everyone, I've been thinking about upgrading my computer pretty soon. This is roughly my current system, though the case is different. I've been using it for about a year and while I'm happy with it for my engineering classes and light video gaming, I want to upgrade it!

I'm between 2 different upgrade options: CPU or GPU.

For the CPU, I would get a Ryzen 5 1600.

For the GPU, I would get an RX 560 (used or otherwise).

I wouldn't mind getting something different for either of those, but I don't need anything better than 1080p for gaming (I have a 16x10 I game on, so I guess it's technically 1920x1200) and I edit video footage for occasional YouTube videos.

Thoughts? Opinions? Questions about why I have such weird storage devices? Should I just get both? (If it changes things, I'm graduating in May and hopefully will have a job right away.)

Really the 1600 is a nice upgrade, (More cores, multi threaded) but unless you are doing CPU heavy stuff, the 1200 will support a newer GPU for 1080p gaming just fine. 

The 560 is only a little upgrade from the 550. A used RX 580 is ~$90-100 USD on Ebay. This will be a great cost to performance upgrade. That's where I would be aiming. 

Yeah, I figured I should have gotten the 560 when I first built it. Thanks for the advice!

8 hours ago, Ty34er said:

Yeah, I figured I should have gotten the 560 when I first built it. Thanks for the advice!

Well... To clarify, I don't think either is the right buy.

A 580 is where you wanna be, with a 570 on backup if you can't front the used market pricing.

For gaming the GPU first would be of more benefit. A 1200 isn't much of a bottleneck to the RX 580. It will bottleneck a little, but the better performance gain in gaming will come from the GPU upgrade.

Likewise if it's more so the editing you do, CPU first.

23 hours ago, jerubedo said:

Likewise if it's more so the editing you do, CPU first

The only editing I do is splicing clips together and maybe adding a simple text overlay. Nothing fancy.

Alright, well, I guess I'll focus on finding a nice RX580, unless anyone has any suggestions about Nvidia cards.

2 hours ago, Ty34er said:

The only editing I do is splicing clips together and maybe adding a simple text overlay. Nothing fancy.

Alright, well, I guess I'll focus on finding a nice RX580, unless anyone has any suggestions about Nvidia cards.

Keep a lookout for a Vega 56 as well, those can go toe-to-toe with GTX1660Tis and who knows if you might find a great deal for them.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

6 hours ago, Ty34er said:

That depends on your budget. The used market is an interesting thing. The GTX 1060 6GB would be the comparable NVidia card to the RX 580, and they cost a chunk more and are a tad older. For only a little more, you might be able to find a nice GTX 980/ti or an R9 290X, which would be a step up, but again an older card for support / warranty purposes.

On 4/23/2019 at 1:26 AM, Ty34er said:

The RX550 and 560 are almost the same, not worth it...
The lowest GPU Upgrade that makes sense is an RX570, if possible 8GiB VRAM.

CPU, as said, a 2600 would be nice, though you have a pretty low end Board...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 4/24/2019 at 9:52 AM, Stefan Payne said:

CPU, as said, a 2600 would be nice, though you have a pretty low end Board

Yeah, I pretty much only got this board because it had a deal with the 3 1200 and had enough for what I needed at the time.

Thanks everyone for the advice.