Good over ear upgrade from headset

Kd4lif3
Go to solution Solved by rice guru,
10 minutes ago, Kd4lif3 said:

Ok thanks, that’s very helpful. If I am able to stretch for the hd 650’s is that something I should stretch for. What kind of difference would I find between the 650 and the 58x

you can get 650 for cheaper on massdrop they are just called 6xx. I personally like the 58x better (reason why I have it). comfort and build : around the same initially clampy btu get a lot more comfortable overtime and build is just ok. 

sound the 58x is wider sounding and has better imaging so better for gaming. clarity and fidelity about the same they both pick up a ton of detail. the 58x is a little bit more laid back and has more bass. the 6xx is a more narrower headphone flatter but better for critical listening if you are producing music or listening to classical music they are better. the thing the makes or breaks it for you though is our lack of dac amp the 650 basically require a good dac amp nothing too powerful but has to sound good. and you wont at all be able to drive them off of your yeti while the 58x would be fine. 

if you are planning to monitor your voice or record your voice I would not reccoemnd using an open back headphone rather look into closed backs. I could reccomend more if you stated a set budget then I know that I would be working with. also I forgot to mention meze 99 noir headphones. 

So I currently have a hyper x cloud 2 headset which I use for gaming and music. I originally used it’s built in mic but when the 3.5mm jack bent it stopped working so I bought a stand alone mic. I ended up replacing the 3.5mm jack with a 3.5mm screw terminal jack to fix some weird audio clipping but there was a trade off in the form of excessive jank. It’s easy enough to forget about but regardless it’s time for an upgrade. I have been looking for something a little higher quality which does not have a built in mic. I looked around at some Sennheiser headphones but I am not much of an audiophile so I don’t know what to look for. I have a few hundred dollars cad to spend. I don’t have any particular preferences besides them being over ear. It would be nice if they would interface with a 3.5mm so I can plug them into my yeti mic but a USB set isn’t a big turn off. I am not looking to buy any other audio equipment unless the benefits of doing so are substantial so no professional interfaces. Thanks. 

open back . hd 58x, dt 990, dt880, 

closed back ath m40x with bad mod, dt 770, akg k7xx, 

my ersonal reccomendations if you dont have a amp and dac, hd 58x for open back and dt 770 80 or 32 ohm for closed back. both are excelent for gaming and msic and very easy to drive on a PC. my 58x costed be$230 CAD including conversion and import fees from massdrop and very much worth the money. 

Im not sure how much power the yeti mic puts out though it might not be able to power the dt 770 80 ohm. but it should be fine with the 32 ohm

20 minutes ago, rice guru said:

open back . hd 58x, dt 990, dt880, 

closed back ath m40x with bad mod, dt 770, akg k7xx, 

my ersonal reccomendations if you dont have a amp and dac, hd 58x for open back and dt 770 80 or 32 ohm for closed back. both are excelent for gaming and msic and very easy to drive on a PC. my 58x costed be$230 CAD including conversion and import fees from massdrop and very much worth the money. 

Im not sure how much power the yeti mic puts out though it might not be able to power the dt 770 80 ohm. but it should be fine with the 32 ohm

Ok thanks, that’s very helpful. If I am able to stretch for the hd 650’s is that something I should stretch for. What kind of difference would I find between the 650 and the 58x

10 minutes ago, Kd4lif3 said:

you can get 650 for cheaper on massdrop they are just called 6xx. I personally like the 58x better (reason why I have it). comfort and build : around the same initially clampy btu get a lot more comfortable overtime and build is just ok. 

sound the 58x is wider sounding and has better imaging so better for gaming. clarity and fidelity about the same they both pick up a ton of detail. the 58x is a little bit more laid back and has more bass. the 6xx is a more narrower headphone flatter but better for critical listening if you are producing music or listening to classical music they are better. the thing the makes or breaks it for you though is our lack of dac amp the 650 basically require a good dac amp nothing too powerful but has to sound good. and you wont at all be able to drive them off of your yeti while the 58x would be fine. 

if you are planning to monitor your voice or record your voice I would not reccoemnd using an open back headphone rather look into closed backs. I could reccomend more if you stated a set budget then I know that I would be working with. also I forgot to mention meze 99 noir headphones. 

11 hours ago, rice guru said:

Ok cool, I’ll probably get the 58x when I have a chance, thanks.