RM1000x Fan size

Kitsan

This feels like a stupid question but I would like to know anyway as i'm looking for a way to light up the PSU shroud red without resorting to LED strips....etc

Corsair lists the fan size as 135mm, is the physical fan actually 5mm less than a regular 140mm fan?

Monitor: Alienware AW2518HF CPU: 9900K @ 5.1GHz Heatsink: 2x360MM Custom Loop GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO RAM: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 2x8GB 4400Mhz Mobo: Asus Maximus XI Gene Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 PSU: Corsair RM1000x Storage: Seagate Firecuda 510 2TB M.2, Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 256GB M.2

Yeah..... Just don't replace the fan, and use RGB strips instead. 

:)

23 minutes ago, remus243 said:

i'm looking for a way to light up the PSU shroud red without resorting to LED strips....etc

Your case is listed as a Corsair 570x in your signature. Even if your PSU had an LED fan in it you would never see it. PSU faces down and the case has a PSU shroud. Why ruin a perfectly good PSU for something that you won't be able to see?

Use RGB led strips instead. You'll be able to see it, it'll do a better job illuminating the area, and you won't ruin your PSU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Modifying your PSU can expose you to deadly voltage stored in the capacitors. One wrong move, and bam - heart stopped permanently. Doesn't matter if it's been off and unplugged for a while - capacitors do their job regardless.

Don't try this if you don't know what you're doing. Under-case lighting will be more noticeable and better. Also, there's soldering involved most of the time to mod a PSU fan.

And, there's a risk of picking a fan that doesn't work in the same way as the fan that's already in it, say...it doesn't start spinning at the right voltage, it doesn't push as much air as the stock fan did when the power supply tells the fan to push X amount of air...you run the risk of blowing out your power supply because the aftermarket fan doesn't cool it properly.

It's not a good idea.

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

I've already done it once before, it's a case of un-soldering the original fan power cable and soldering it to the new fan, I'm comfortable with the process it's just I don't want to take my PSU out and dismantle it only to find the replacement is 5mm too big

Also as Nick notes, it's for undercase lighting Spotty

Monitor: Alienware AW2518HF CPU: 9900K @ 5.1GHz Heatsink: 2x360MM Custom Loop GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO RAM: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 2x8GB 4400Mhz Mobo: Asus Maximus XI Gene Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 PSU: Corsair RM1000x Storage: Seagate Firecuda 510 2TB M.2, Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 256GB M.2

9 minutes ago, remus243 said:

Also as Nick notes, it's for undercase lighting Spotty

Wouldn't that only provide light towards the rear of the case (and even then through a dust filter). Wouldn't you get more consistent lighting from using RGB strips on the underside running the full length? And again, no voiding of warranty involved.

Regardless of my opinion on whether or not it's a good idea, to answer your question, according to the specs it's a NR135L model 135mm rifle bearing fan.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 hours ago, remus243 said:

This feels like a stupid question but I would like to know anyway as i'm looking for a way to light up the PSU shroud red without resorting to LED strips....etc

Corsair lists the fan size as 135mm, is the physical fan actually 5mm less than a regular 140mm fan?

Take a perfectly good RMx and install a shitty RGB fan?  Wow.  That's an "aesthetics over performance" attitude right there.

The PSU fan is 135mm.  Not 140mm.  The "bolt pattern" from screw to screw is 120mm as opposed to the 125mm screw to screw you would find on a 140mm fan.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Take a perfectly good RMx and install a shitty RGB fan?  Wow.  That's an "aesthetics over performance" attitude right there.

The PSU fan is 135mm.  Not 140mm.  The "bolt pattern" from screw to screw is 120mm as opposed to the 125mm screw to screw you would find on a 140mm fan.

Well it's actually a red LED 140mm Corsair SP140 fan which I was going to put in there and yes it's aesthetics because i'm building a Star Wars Sith theme'd PC.

Thanks for the clarification although considering you're a Corsair guy and I clearly was a fan of your companies work, i'm probably going to f**k your company off out of my setup as quickly as I possibly can.

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

Wouldn't that only provide light towards the rear of the case (and even then through a dust filter). Wouldn't you get more consistent lighting from using RGB strips on the underside running the full length? And again, no voiding of warranty involved.

Regardless of my opinion on whether or not it's a good idea, to answer your question, according to the specs it's a NR135L model 135mm rifle bearing fan.

It was more for accent lighting, the last PSU I did it in was an old XFX unit with perforated casting and it looked pretty good.

Also thanks for having the best intentions for my well-being Spotty, it's appreciated!

20 minutes ago, remus243 said:

Well it's actually a red LED 140mm Corsair SP140 fan which I was going to put in there and yes it's aesthetics because i'm building a Star Wars Sith theme'd PC.

Thanks for the clarification although considering you're a Corsair guy and I clearly was a fan of your companies work, i'm probably going to f**k your company off out of my setup as quickly as I possibly can.

Temper, temper.  ;)

As everyone else suggested, light strip should work/look better and be easier to install.  But, as I said, simply slapping a 140mm fan in a 135mm space isn't going to work.

"Corsair guy" has nothing to do with anything.  I'm not here as "Corsair Jon".  I'm here to prevent people from screwing up their computers when they don't know what they're doing.

I say "shitty" in a relative sense, and Corsair fan or not, I still stand by that.  Never mind the OEM of the fan (which doesn't have to be top tier for a case fan vs. a a PSU fan since a case fan can be swapped out when the fan dies where a PSU requires voiding the warranty), but the motors are completely different and will cause the fan to spin different on the same fan controller. 

We've had requests to put RGB fans in PSUs, but simply can't find a vendor that can make a good RGB effect AND a PSU that's good enough to put into a PSU and last as long as the fan needs to last.  And you can't just put an outer ring around an existing PSU fan because that ring takes up some of the surface area and requires a reduction of the fan blade size, so the effective cooling area is not as large.Yeah.. it will work.  But how well?  How loud will it get?  Will it cool the PSU sufficiently (probably not).  

If you said you wanted to do a Noctua fan to follow some baby shit brown theme, I'd tell you the same thing.. though for different reasons.  People just don't fully understand/appreciate the nuances of active cooling.

5 hours ago, NickPickerWI said:

And, there's a risk of picking a fan that doesn't work in the same way as the fan that's already in it, say...it doesn't start spinning at the right voltage, it doesn't push as much air as the stock fan did when the power supply tells the fan to push X amount of air...you run the risk of blowing out your power supply because the aftermarket fan doesn't cool it properly.

Quoted for truth.

Not only does an SP140 not fit where an NR135L resides, but the motor is different, the PQ curve is different, the max RPM is different, the startup voltage is different.....

I'm not angry, I was frustrated more than anything. I fully understand that a Director of Corsairs PSU division cannot openly condone modification of his product in a manner that'll void warranty/has a possibility of killing me.

However there are ways and means of delivering it. When you look at the things that people who love PC's as a core hobby do, from watercooled peltiers to LN2 overclocking, allot of it doesn't make sense or is downright dangerous. Hell even taking a dremel to a PC case is likely to end in tears most of the time... but it's that extreme behavior which drives (some) of us.

You'd only need to look at my signature to see that I highly value performance as an PC enthusiast and a competitive gamer which made me feel as though you were deliberately looking for a bite.

Yes I have noted that the size is wrong, I was "hoping" an SP140 would fit.

TT Toughpower iRGB PLUS seem to have a supplier of these fans?

1 hour ago, remus243 said:

However there are ways and means of delivering it. When you look at the things that people who love PC's as a core hobby do, from watercooled peltiers to LN2 overclocking, allot of it doesn't make sense or is downright dangerous. Hell even taking a dremel to a PC case is likely to end in tears most of the time... but it's that extreme behavior which drives (some) of us.

I am not a guy that hides behind a tie.  I've been a DIY, modder and an overclocker and have done some stupid things that have broken some expensive equipment over the past 30 years I've held those titles.  I got my job BECAUSE I'm an enthusiast.  Not because I'm an EE.  I post in these forums BECAUSE I'm an enthusiast.  Not to convince someone not to void their warranties.

That's why I hate the S.O.B. that put "industry affiliate" on my f**ing profile (they did it to me at HardForum too and I quit posting there).

I respond the way I do because I hope that my decades of experience prevent others from doing the stupid things I've done as well.

And yes... that includes replacing the fan in a PSU and then having that PSU blow up months later.

And yes, TT uses a fan similar to the Corsair LL inside their iRGB PSU (same OEM even).

I didn't say a 140mm RGB fan didn't exist.  I said that one that is suitable for a PSU didn't exist.  The fan Thermaltake put into the iRGB is not suitable for a PSU.  The blade design is wrong.  The fan curve is wrong.  The surface area is inadequate (due to the outer ring) and the quality is sub-par.  They just decided to throw it in there "for looks".  In my position, I would not knowingly put that fan in a PSU to sell to the public with a 10 year warranty.

And you can't just put an outer ring around an existing PSU fan because that ring takes up some of the surface area and requires a reduction of the fan blade size,

Öhm, what about 0402 LED Strips?? you have around 5mm or so below the fan blade.

Another choice would be to use an LED fibre grill.

So make the grill hollow, do LED Filament strips inside and let that shine into the fan (disadvantage: I don't know if they are RGB versions available yet).

The Old Antec Way isn't viable because you don't have much heatsinks ;)

Or just do something with the bars that connect the outer frame to the Motor.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

If you said you wanted to do a Noctua fan to follow some baby shit brown theme, I'd tell you the same thing.. though for different reasons.

Their "baby shit brown" is a reminder of how quality can define and grow a company despite VOC, though.

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

4 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Öhm, what about 0402 LED Strips?? you have around 5mm or so below the fan blade.

Cost. 

We seem to have this banter a lot. "Why not do such and such?!?"... "Cost!" 

Like, sure the "Capellix" LEDs in the Dominator Platinum RGB exist, but they're more expensive and you have to use more of them.  

Add to that that some diffusion material still has to be used and the thinner that material, the more you're going to have hot spots.  Yeah.. Just put a strip of LEDs around the inside frame around of fan blades and only have to reduce the blade diameter by 2mm, but it looks like shit. 

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

Cost. 

We seem to have this banter a lot. "Why not do such and such?!?"... "Cost!" 

Urgh, yeah. The usual shit that kills every great idea...

But why not go really really old school. Like the martech fan in the Bitfenix Whisper M, wich also exist in a silver version with a blue LED (I have that in a Hiper 680W)...

What's the Problem with that Way? Just drill a hole on each corner (or two, or three) and glue normal big RGB LED in that hole...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

13 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Urgh, yeah. The usual shit that kills every great idea...

But why not go really really old school. Like the martech fan in the Bitfenix Whisper M, wich also exist in a silver version with a blue LED (I have that in a Hiper 680W)...

What's the Problem with that Way? Just drill a hole on each corner (or two, or three) and glue normal big RGB LED in that hole...

Because people complained it looked like a swastika.  

23 minutes ago, NickPickerWI said:

Their "baby shit brown" is a reminder of how quality can define and grow a company despite VOC, though.

I'm not saying Noctua's not a good fan.  I'm just saying I've seen the wind tunnel results and know it's not good in a PSU. 

Hell.. To show I'm not biased:  The top of the line Sunon built Corsair ML fan?  Not optimal for PSUs either without considerable modification. 

29 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I'm not saying Noctua's not a good fan.  I'm just saying I've seen the wind tunnel results and know it's not good in a PSU. 

Hell.. To show I'm not biased:  The top of the line Sunon built Corsair ML fan?  Not optimal for PSUs either without considerable modification. 

No, I get it.

For everyone here wondering why Corsair "doesn't just...", keep in mind that there's so, so much that goes into a mass-produced product. There are teams with teams inside them, of very technical, innovative, and energetic people, that have most likely heard and thought about what you're thinking about. On that note:

There's the supplier who lies to you and sells you something they can't consistently provide.

There's the marketing people who sell the customer and investors something you can't provide.

There's the production line that tells you they can't do what they just did last week...or read an assembly drawing.

There's the sourcing and purchasing people who tell you that they can't get the parts at the volume you want them at, because the supplier you were working with isn't an approved vendor.

There's the project manager who argues that, yes, we can do 4 months of fluid dynamics calculations, DFMEA and PFMEA work by next Friday.

There's the accountants and analysts who tell you that all your hard work and blistering hours that went into making something extraordinary needs to be 20% cheaper in order to meet competitive market value.

There's the advocates who tell you to source more American parts, because America...despite the cost being 20% greater.

There's your boss, who wonders why you didn't anticipate all of this ahead of time, and have contingencies already in place.

And finally, there's the voice of the customer (VOC), which is critical to success, and we value and consider it greatly. Sometimes, though, the VOC tells you it's OK to disregard and devalue all of your work, because...and we sometimes see it this way..."we know better than the teams inside of teams."

Welcome to Product Design and Engineering. We have coffee, and sometimes donuts if we meet our stretch goals.

Every once in a while, we get to see something that just works, and our investors, customers, production staff, supply chain, marketing team, and managers are happy. No small oversights or unknowns get in the way and ruin everything we worked for. Those moments are why we do this. That, and we get paid. And donuts.

I'm not trying to put anyone down here, or shy away innovation. I just want people to realize what you wouldn't know in something so simple as a fan with lighting in it on the bottom of a power supply, and what I think Jon might be getting at.

2 hours ago, remus243 said:

TT Toughpower iRGB PLUS seem to have a supplier of these fans?

Thermaltake is also not Corsair. You're forgetting that a V8 from a Corvette won't work in a Porsche. There's much more to it than just finding a supplier with a fan with some lighting.

Thermaltake might have designed their entire PSU around having that fan. They might have more failures because of that fan. They might have to cheap out on other components because of that fan. They might have to use more expensive components because of that fan. They might not be able to meet as aggressive of quality control targets because of that fan. They might not be able to reach the same kinds of performance targets (wattage ratings, efficiency ratings) because of that fan. They might only be able to get that fan because they made some kind of deal with that supplier that might not be so awesome. We don't know.

They're not Corsair.

We also don't know what went into Corsair's design for their PSU fan for this product series.

51 minutes ago, NickPickerWI said:

No, I get it.

For everyone here wondering why Corsair "doesn't just...", keep in mind that there's so, so much that goes into a mass-produced product. There are teams with teams inside them, of very technical, innovative, and energetic people, that have most likely heard and thought about what you're thinking about. On that note:

There's the supplier who lies to you and sells you something they can't consistently provide.

There's the marketing people who sell the customer and investors something you can't provide.

There's the production line that tells you they can't do what they just did last week...or read an assembly drawing.

There's the sourcing and purchasing people who tell you that they can't get the parts at the volume you want them at, because the supplier you were working with isn't an approved vendor.

There's the project manager who argues that, yes, we can do 4 months of fluid dynamics calculations, DFMEA and PFMEA work by next Friday.

There's the accountants and analysts who tell you that all your hard work and blistering hours that went into making something extraordinary needs to be 20% cheaper in order to meet competitive market value.

There's the advocates who tell you to source more American parts, because America...despite the cost being 20% greater.

There's your boss, who wonders why you didn't anticipate all of this ahead of time, and have contingencies already in place.

And finally, there's the voice of the customer (VOC), which is critical to success, and we value and consider it greatly. Sometimes, though, the VOC tells you it's OK to disregard and devalue all of your work, because...and we sometimes see it this way..."we know better than the teams inside of teams."

Welcome to Product Design and Engineering. We have coffee, and sometimes donuts if we meet our stretch goals.

Every once in a while, we get to see something that just works, and our investors, customers, production staff, supply chain, marketing team, and managers are happy. No small oversights or unknowns get in the way and ruin everything we worked for. Those moments are why we do this. That, and we get paid. And donuts.

I'm not trying to put anyone down here, or shy away innovation. I just want people to realize what you wouldn't know in something so simple as a fan with lighting in it on the bottom of a power supply, and what I think Jon might be getting at.

How many cubicles over is your desk?  Just wondering.....

3 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Cubicles? With a diplomatic answer like that, they definitely have a corner office.

15 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Cubicles? With a diplomatic answer like that, they definitely have a corner office.

Lmao...I'm at the bottom of the chain at a huge company. I have no path to that shiny paradise you speak of.

30 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

From your desk? Many, many, many cubicles ?