Has LMG's YouTube content gotten Better or Worse?

r2724r16

LMG's Content  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Has LinusTechTips' YouTube content gotten better or worse?

• Better
    • Worse
    • Neither
  2. 2. Has TechQuickie's YouTube content gotten better or worse?

• Better
    • Worse
    • Neither

Title says it all. And by YouTube content, I mean the quality of LTT/TQ's videos.

I'm not trying to start a war or anything, I'm just curious about what people think of those two channels.

Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

I think it depends how you define 'quality' really... 

The quality to me has gone down? Why? Purely because I was here when they were a few plebs in a house making videos in their kitchen, and I simply preferred that style of production. It felt less, we're making these videos because we as a company need to survive, and more, we're making these videos because we want to (to me anyway. It's clear they all still do it because they love it but, ya know)

Quality in terms of professionalism? Video quality? Scripts? Better, obviously. 

All a matter of taste/opinion. 

As soon as I stop liking their videos, I'll stop watching, simples

EDIT: I also think it's important people realised they don't have to watch every single video of theirs. 

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

I find LTT main chanel content hasn't gotten worse or better in recent times, over the years the content has changed direction and production quality is way up.

TQ is great, some EPS a garbage but overall good and improving imo

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Very opinionated topic, and literally every response will be the result of that persons ideals of "better" as a result of their experiences.

As somebody who worked in video production, and is a pretty devout techie, I think LMG has improved immensely as time goes on.

The old style of a few plebs in a kitchen had its own appeal, but it always made me cringe a tiny amount because of how unprofessional it all was. The opposite is also possible, where a channel takes itself too seriously, but LMG isn't that.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

I bet most of the people voting don't even watch anymore lol.

I personally believe that it's the topics of the video that aren't as interesting as it used to be. For example, I present to you several videos from LTT:
Some interesting videos from a while ago:

Some not-so-interesting titles from not too long ago:

That's not to say that we don't have interesting videos today, they're just getting fewer and farther between. Some examples of videos I enjoyed:

The less interesting topics tend to dim the quality of the overall channel in my eyes. Obviously this is my opinion and your opinion may differ from mine. Do you agree or disagree with me and why or why not?

Discord: Breadpudding#9078

GitHub: https://github.com/cbpudding

Programming Guild: https://discord.gg/7ZVbxXT

The ideas they have are quite plain compared to the old days like mineral oil PC, classic unboxings, stuff like that, not to mention the new style of titling videos...

Production quality with the new studio 'kitchen' is for sure better.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

LTT's production quality has gone up massively, although content quality has stayed the same. Same goes for TQ.

The only thing I don't like about LTT content is their phone reviews. They all come off as whiny and focus more on the bad than the good. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

LTT’s quality has gone up, but so does the amount of bad videos that are there just to fill the week. 

Quality wise, it got better.

As far as the content though.... Eeeeeeh. It's ok. It didn't change for the better or the worse. IMO.

That RAM slot M.2 to SATA adapter, could've frankly went into a compilation video with other strange/dumb tech. That video was longer than necessary for what it was.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I resub last year. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

LTT main channel quality is awesome. Entertaining, well-made videos.

TQ I mostly don't watch anymore simply because I know all that stuff already (which I learned by watching TQ and similar channels), and the topics being covered aren't of use to me. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

Their production quality and writing has improved a lot over the years, but I think there are a couple of legitimate criticisms in regards to the evolution of LTT's channel. Given enough context however, I can mostly understand where they're coming from. What I've always valued and still value the most is Linus' honesty when it comes to how he runs his business. It's a little thing, but it's the main reason I watch their videos rather than the ones of other channels. 

They don't do anything interesting anymore. The only thing about LMG that's high quality is the production value, everything else dropped off like a rock.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

In my opinion, Linus Tech Tips has been putting out hit or miss videos recently, either I'm super excited to see what they're up to, or I find myself saying "that's a hard pass from me".  I think this is simply due to their wide range of topics, from DIY PCs to electric car chargers, to moving vlogs, while I am only interested in certain topics.  My only real criticism is in regards to their method of presenting videos in an almost clickbait manner...  On the other side of the coin, I see that they are trying to gain a wide spectrum of interest with this method, and I can respect that.  They also do a ton of things right, from the shooting to the editing, to the content topic, to the updated merch styles (bring back the tape-linked shirt!!), to the hosts... I'd be here all day listing positives lol. After 4+ years of watching, LTT has continuously been the single most watched channel(s) in my subscription pool.  Good job guys

I think they're trying to hit on the atmosphere a little too much.  

The jokes, the content like cooling pcs with sinks.

But, I like the content right now.

Its helpful and fun to see ebay builds, turning PCs into hackintosh's, and other content that I like.

TechQuickie has gotten better because its straight and too the point along with its simplicity.  It gets right to the point without anything else.

Won’t visit often..

The results are actually surprising (at least for me)... I thought that a lot more people would say that TechQuickie's videos have gotten worse (relative to LinusTechTips), but both channels seem to have almost identical results.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

I don't watch TQ, so I can only say for LTT.

Their "reviews" are bit in the middle. For general electronics those are now better. More substance and actual testing, with fancy b-roll and acted background video included. For actual PC hardware, aka GPUs, they have gone worse. Somehow LTTmanages to provide worst look across the board. Which is why I watch those rather from Jayz channel and skip LTT ones.

"Workshop" videos. Aka everything where they test something odd or build something. These are bit bitter than what they have been. No longer pointless multi-part videos, or not as many. They are bit better to watch when Linus isn't the main person or when he's stupidity is challenged by someone with actual knowledge. They may aim for that kind of setup, but I don't know if that should be how Linus should relieve his urge to shit on people.

"The rest". These being anything with multiple items being tested etc. Usually these have been with James as the other, sometimes with Jake. Neither really works for me as co-host personality. James is best on WAN, Jake was best as Anthony's little helper. As videos these have interesting content, but presentation is sometimes lacking.

---

Overall it seems like they are in the middle of transitioning. They have need for new presenters who are actually interesting. At the moment they are too much leaning into teen audience, maybe including young adults who still laugh at people shitting each other on screen. For more mature audience (I'm 30 and I think after spending most of my life on the internet I'm part of that more mature audience), there's need for people who understand what they talk about and are into it. Feels like Linus has lost this part of presenting at some point. Maybe its too much laptop and phone reviews.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I rarely watch TQ so my opinion on that is very limited. 

I've been subbed to LTT since way back in the day when he was at NCIX, around the time when he started unboxing and reviewing GTX 580 GPUs, as I was thinking of buying one at the time and was looking up reviews. I stumbled on his videos about it and have been a subscriber since.

In terms of creativity, originality, and a "down-to-earth" feel, LTT's content has been kind of on a downward trend from those early days in NCIX and his kitchen. Some high-water marks for me as of late were the "AmazonBasics battlestation" videos, and his antics such as grinding off the DVI port off a Titan or dropping a motherboard on video. Those gave a nice dose of "Old Linus" that made those videos genuinely fun to watch. 

In terms of professionalism and overall quality of LTT's content, it's obviously far and away superior to what they were back in the kitchen days. IMO they are probably amongst the top tier in terms of production quality on Youtube now.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

My only complaint is that some of the coolest stuff has already been done. Multi gamers 1 cpu, so many mini pc's and pc's in consoles, all of which are my favourite types of videos, get harder and harder to do since they'res only so much you can escalate the situation.

4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

They don't do anything interesting anymore. The only thing about LMG that's high quality is the production value, everything else dropped off like a rock.

I agree. Used to look forward to a video when i saw it pop up on my feed since it was usually interesting and more often than not taught me at least one thing i didn't know or it made me look up shit because i found it interesting. Now it's all clickbait and "meh". Unless the videos title give me undeniable info on what the videos on i don't bother clicking. Even stopped watching the WAN show, used to be fun and the shtick of "haha late again/no audio/laptops not working but this is what we do" got tiring. I'd understand it it was 2 dudes in a garage using the jankiest of gear... but now? Just feels lazy.

so @ topic: Production value up, actual content tho.....

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

I would say their bad videos have gotten worse but their good videos have gotten a lot better.

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

I think they are the same, which is not a bad thing. You can't push the dial past "8" too often when they do crazy weird stuff or use humor, otherwise it risks being overdone and lame.

Considering the amount of awesome videos they put out for years, it's amazing they haven't run out of ideas or stooped to making terrible clickbait videos...